Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I noticed this section wasn't getting a lot of traffic, I hope there are still a teacher or two that wouldn't mind helping me get my feet wet.

I've never reloaded before, but have a good general knowledge of the practice and principles. For beginers I'll be loading solely for a guide gun, sticking to cast bulets. Here is my short list, please review it, find what i"m missing and help me out.

kit: Lee anniversary kit
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=423081
I've heard there are a few more tools that will make life easier, any advise?

Powder: The only reloads I ever shot through a guide gun were fueled by hodgon of some sort and I've heard one or two of their powders reccomend for cast loads before. Wich one should I go with?

Bullets: I know what I want here. Beartooth 405s or 425piledriver JR and then lasercast 405gr cheapos to practice with

Primers and brass I have no clue if one brand is better than the other, so any help there would be great.

Matt

Reactions: msharley

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
If you have leverlution brass hold it back as it is short from factory.sounds like 45-70? I have star line that i am loading but will use other brands when i shoot factory loads up.I been loading 4 30 yrs stay with reloading manual data not home grown find someone you can talk to who is a reloader. Always double ck yourself, your data and don't touch the inside of your primer it can kill then.when i am developing a load i do 5 rnds per test .example 300 gr. bullet with low powder charge then add powder by x amount I might load 3-5sets of 5 and as i ld them i mark case base with felt pen a red line or dot on primer then thats registerd on a paper . red primer 200cci / x powder and grain / bullet ect... when i shoot that load i note on that paper what ld did and keep for future reference. start with lowest charge work up if you get to much presure pull those lds.
I know you will struggle at 1st. but with the success you will have and the fun it is you will seldom buy another factory ld
YOU WILL GET LOTSA INFO HERE RELOADING WILL SAVE YOU $ IF YOU TARGET YOUR BULLET AND POWDER. well i said if!!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup 45/70, and it was H332 IIRC around 50grs and a beartooth 405. Of course I will find a book and go by established loads working my way up, understanding there can be a huge accuracy diff from one charge to another. I also remember to buy .460 or .459 sized.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you are looking for trapdoor range loads from a Hodgdon powder, I use 32/35 gr. of 4198. That will get you in the 1400 fps. range and will kill most things that need killing . I am also fond of Starline brass

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Lee's powder measure and scales wear out way to fast. The Perfect series are a joke.

For 90 bucks the kit is a good deal. Just expect to replace a few items with higher quality items.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Pard said:
Lee's powder measure and scales wear out way to fast. The Perfect series are a joke.

For 90 bucks the kit is a good deal. Just expect to replace a few items with higher quality items.
Wow! I just saw this today cruisung the site. I've never heard this, with all due respect Pard. I have a scale I purchased in mid '90s, I believe and it still works as good as when I bought it; very good that is.

But my hint is I made a small "table", about 10"X14", from scrap around the shop. I used about 1/2' plywood for the top, and 1"X6" for the legs. I screwed my powder measure to this and set-up my scale on top. Table is about 7" above benchtop level so that brings the scale up closer to eye level and makes it easier to read. The whole table is heavy and stable enough that it doesn't move around when using the measure. When done reloading I put it in a cabinet out of the way. Works for me...

·
Premium Member
16,949 Posts
Well I noticed this section wasn't getting a lot of traffic, I hope there are still a teacher or two that wouldn't mind helping me get my feet wet.

I've never reloaded before, but have a good general knowledge of the practice and principles. For beginers I'll be loading solely for a guide gun, sticking to cast bulets. Here is my short list, please review it, find what i"m missing and help me out.

kit: Lee anniversary kit
Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit
I've heard there are a few more tools that will make life easier, any advise?

Powder: The only reloads I ever shot through a guide gun were fueled by hodgon of some sort and I've heard one or two of their powders reccomend for cast loads before. Wich one should I go with?

Bullets: I know what I want here. Beartooth 405s or 425piledriver JR and then lasercast 405gr cheapos to practice with

Primers and brass I have no clue if one brand is better than the other, so any help there would be great.

Matt
Hey Matt,

For a good press, try to find a used Rockchucker, they are cast steel, much better than the new improved model. Lyman, H'Day, C&H, RCBS and others make fine powder measures and scales. Get a set of check weights. Vital. Really like the Redding Profile Crimp Die, many are using the RCBS cowboy dies. For small volume, the Lee hand trimmer will do you. As is the Lee hand priming tool. A decent set of calipers. A couple of 20 gauge shotgun loading blocks. Lyman makes an excellent set of hand case care tools. And several Manuals. Look at lowveldata. Lever gun performance studies? Study everything Wind or JBledsoe post. Get ready for 86% savings. Using a 350 gr lead, 13gr. Unique as an example, it costs me about $135 to load 500 rds. Compared to $1,000 for store bought. Sinclair has every gadget imaginable. Starline brass is best. I use WLR an FED primers.

Have only been loading since '78, still learning. Feel free to PM me any time, if you would like more info.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Hey Matt,

For a good press, try to find a used Rockchucker, they are cast steel, much better than the new improved model. Lyman, H'Day, C&H, RCBS and others make fine powder measures and scales. Get a set of check weights. Vital. Really like the Redding Profile Crimp Die, many are using the RCBS cowboy dies. For small volume, the Lee hand trimmer will do you. As is the Lee hand priming tool. A decent set of calipers. A couple of 20 gauge shotgun loading blocks. Lyman makes an excellent set of hand case care tools. And several Manuals. Look at lowveldata. Lever gun performance studies? Study everything Wind or JBledsoe post. Get ready for 86% savings. Using a 350 gr lead, 13gr. Unique as an example, it costs me about $135 to load 500 rds. Compared to $1,000 for store bought. Sinclair has every gadget imaginable. Starline brass is best. I use WLR an FED primers.

Have only been loading since '78, still learning. Feel free to PM me any time, if you would like more info.

Later, Mark
I've been reloading since 1968 and I'm still learning!

Tom

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
811 Posts
If all you are going to load is cast, I highly recommend the Lyman "M" die in lieu of any other die to expand the case mouth.
The Lee equipment is good for starting out, but you will most likely replace it later, I did, after serveral thousand rounds and only because I found a rock chucker at a pawn shop for cheap.
CF

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I bought the Anniversary kit a couple of years ago and I recommend it for starters on a budget. Like people said, you will replace some of the stuff soon like their chamfer and deburring tool and primer pocket tool. The thing is, for less than $100, you get everything you need to start. You still need bullets, powder, primers, cases, case holder and dies. Add a Lyman M die and a Lee Factory Crimp Die and the costs goes up and up. I have loaded a few thousand loads through the press and it is still just like new and works great. I think about other presses, but I can always think of better things for my shooting/reloading money. If I do wear it out, I'd replace the press with Lee's Cast press, but that could still be years away. I just got my first Lyman M die, but after a couple years under my belt, I realized the advantage of the M die, because we cast our bullets over-size and the M die prepares the case mouth and neck for oversize cast bullets. That is one example of something else you will soon buy.
Don't get me wrong, you should buy the best you could afford, but only you know how much money you want/able to spend right away. The Rock Chucker press and kits are great, but will cost a significant amount more. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts