Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the interest of self sufficiency what would be your choices. You get to go back mid to late 1800s with your Marlin (1894C in my case) but with today’s powders/molds/primers et. al.

No real rules but you have to carry this stuff on horseback (no reloading bench in the wagon). Other calibers are certainly OK and you’re not limited to one mold/power choice. Looking for food on the table (spit), personal protection and all that you carry a rifle for.

For fun, let’s also start out with a case of factory/modern ammo and we’ll only cast to reload.

Grug

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
44-40

I'd go for the 44-40 because I could also use it in my SAA. Modern components wouldn't be necessary; I'd use black & corrosive. No TV or electronic distractions, so there would be plenty of time for proper cleaning. It might not be everybody's first choice for elk, but we should each have a dollar for every elk whacked with a 44-40. All ya gotta do is get REAL close! :shock:

Seriously, the 44-40 was considered the cutting edge in hunting & personal protection for a number of years. Mostly because there wasn't a lot of choice, I'd guess. If a guy had a good nag, you could drop a buffalo calf or small cow with it - again, get close make the shot and beat feet!

My 1894CB in 44-40 is very accurate, and I'd have no problem taking it deer hunting. - Not elk, though! :wink: For what an elk tag costs, it would be my '06. SW

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nebrhogger, thanks for the reply. I agree, if I were knowly going back I would have something that chambered the old rounds made of modern steels with modern machining.

Guess I posted this on the wrong forum, or everyone's out shooting. Wasn't looking for old vs new, as much as new with merrit :D

I don't shoot enough to do the full up reload deal but wouldn't mind doing a little. Saw the hand press and "hammer required" hand loaders. I don't know what else is out there but knew you folks would.

Also interested in opinions on bullet molds (357 mag). Mostly general purpose, leaning toward deer hunting. Initial thoughts are RN or SWC around 158 gr or a HP closer to 180gr... Does anyone make a 170gr that is a littlebit hollow (thinking partition type performance)?

I like to learn new "skills" and some of the technologies are really interesting. Suspect this is an old and basic topic, any web site folks think are good?

Thanks all

Grug

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
casting

Grug,

www.midwayusa.com sells a wide range of molds and casting supplies, as does www.buffaloarms.com Pick a mold that looks good and go from there. I recently re-learned the art of casting when I discovered nobody made bullets for my 10.4X47R. I didn't believe it when someone told me RCBS makes a special dedicated mold for that caliber, and I was surprised when I called them and it was actually in stock! For starters, Midway sells an inexpensive 4 pound furnace. When I used to cast quite a bit 30 years ago, I rigged a burner from an old stove and used a 10 pound pot. I still have a lot of wheelweight ingots from then, and that's what I use. It's not too tough to score wheelweights at the tire shop.

I didn't want to spend a lot of money just for one rifle, so I melted a stick of lube in a small pan I got for a dime at a garage sale and dip-lube the bullets. I then run them through a Lee sizer - also inexpensive - and return the scraped off lube to the pan.

Casting is like reloading; it doesn't have to be expensive, but it sure as heck can get that way! I really didn't get a lot of info from any site, I just dived in and did the trial & error thing. It worked out fine, and my old musket is quite accurate.

Get a book on casting, and let the fun begin! :D SW

·
Registered
88 Posts
If I could go back with a new rifle and smokless powder I know what I would pick. It would be a Marlin Cowboy in 45 Colt. It would be an old one, checkered, 24"bbl and drilled for a peep sight. Ya I would still have a Colt on my hip but when someone said that shot is out of range. I would just pull out my Marlin loaded with win. 296 and become the new Rifleman. Ha. Fun to dream >>Tombstone

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would take a Marlin 1894c with a Ruger Old model Blackhawk in 357. I would get a multi cavity mold with a round ball, 148gr wadcutter, 158gr Semi Wadcutter with gascheck, 180gr flat point round nose. 1 lb of Bullseye or 231 and 1 lb of lil'gun with dippers for each load for each bullet. A Lyman 310 tong tool and die set and a lee resizing die and small hammer to push bullets thru. A pound of 231 would provide about 1100 loads with 6.5gr 231 and 158 grLSWC, probably the most used load, so given that about 2000 primers in the tins that percussion caps come in sealed in wax, about 20 tins. I would start with about 300 rounds of ammo; 20 round ball, 100 148 wadcutters, 150 158gr and 30 180 thumpers. Take along about 500 158gr LSWCGC and 2000 extra gas checks and about 10 lbs of wheelweight ingots.

If I could only have 1 bullet it would be a 158 gr LSWCGC.
I would also take a AR 15 takes down cleaning rod and a bore snake.

Stuff in a list
1894c with Marble's tang sight and sling
Ruger Old model 357 Blackhawk
belt w/ammoloops and holster
lyman 310 tong tool and die set
Bullet mould and handles
lead pot and dipper
Lee sizing die and pin to resize and set gas checks, use a hammer
300 rounds loaded ammo
500 LSWCGC
2000 gaschecks
2000 primers
1 lb 231 or bullseye
1 lb Lil'gun
cleaning kit
Bullet lube Beeswax and tallow
10 1 lb ingot of wheelweights

You might want a mule to haul your junk around, more than just saddlebags.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Let's see...

My 1894D in 44-40 along with the matching caliber Vaquero
Ideal hand tool
Lee 200gr RNFP mold
Casting pot & dipper
Lee .429 sizer with the aforementioned hammer to push the bullets thru
Starline brass
A couple of pounds of Unique and a dipper cut down to hold 6grs of Unique
A couple of thousand Large Rifle primers

Now if copper patched bullets would fit into this here time machine, I'd go with either the 200gr Speer Gold Dot JHP for the 44 Special or the Winchester 210gr Silvertip JHP, 2400 powder and a dipper sized at bit more than the Lyman manual calls for and forget the Vaquero. Either bullet in the Marlin'll whack a deer pretty efficently (my standard deer load)

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Well if I could go back in time, I'd end up with the same guns, only I'd buy them new back in the late 1800's!
it'd be tough to beat a new Marlin Ballard Pacific, chambered in .40-60M, with heavy octagon barrel and double set triggers!
I could take mine with me, but why weigh the machine down? Instead I'd just take my 1881 Marlin loading tool, and a good supply of 4227 powder, some primers, a lot of lead, and my ladle and pot to melt the lead over my campfire at night!
There's not much made today that can outshoot an original Ballard, even a 115 year old one, so if I bought one new it should shoot even better! :lol:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
If you could go back to the 1890s, you would not need to take anything modern with you, except (since this is a dream) a few hundred Krugerands (sp?) for turning into folding money. You could even get a flat shooting Mauser for those long shots if you wanted. I could happily get by today with nothing newer than a hundred years old; it worked real good back then and it still would today.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Perfessr and 44-40, I'll look some of your recomendations up. Doesn't look like anyone feels like they'ld be loosing much.

TTT, my sister lives in "Spamaway*"... kind of feels like a time warp when we go visit :lol:

Sorry for the late reply, been away from the computer for a few days...

Grug

*ya have to know my brother-in-law :lol:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Grug said:
Thanks Perfessr and 44-40, I'll look some of your recomendations up. Doesn't look like anyone feels like they'ld be loosing much.

TTT, my sister lives in "Spamaway*"... kind of feels like a time warp when we go visit :lol:

Sorry for the late reply, been away from the computer for a few days...

Grug

*ya have to know my brother-in-law :lol:
I know what ya mean. My water utility serves most of Spanaway and the stories I could tell............

My abode is a little out of the way senior community that is somewhat away from it all. Ft Lewis is accross Mt Hwy and on my side, it' a 1/4 mile up a gravel road to the community. I think it will grow up around us someday, but it still should not be that bad.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Grug.....when you get back to the 1880's, I'll open the door for you. I went on ahead. :roll: Didn't take modern powder 'cause I'm here to stay and have to replenish. So black powder it is. Brought an old Marlin-Ballard in 40-85 Ballard and a Colt Walker because both use black powder and lead very well. And I only have to take one reloading tool that way. Here's a picture of my outfit.

I won't even try to explain how I got this message to 2004 from the 1880's. Jules Verne did help though. :D

max

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
...well, you knew someone had to come and mess it up...

Since we are in Fantasyland...

The little known Colt 1911A1 chambered in .45Colt with my matching AR-15 so chambered. These were very rare in the old frontier and little known. I am having a problem with the soft lead and black powder residue gumming up the gas port so after about 5 rounds it turns into a straight-pull single shot, then after about 10 rounds the bolt freezes up and I have to draw the handgun. :roll:

Only reason I didn't choose an M-60 machine gun is trying to cast all those bullets around the campfire...!

Geezzzz, guys, just kidding!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts