Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Aussie/Border Collie Mix that we adopted about 5 1/2 years ago from a shelter that had been taken in from a hoarding situation and was about 4 years old at the time. She is a great and loyal friend, companion and gentle soul. She starting losing her appetite starting about to 6 months ago but it has been a very gradual decline. She has gone from 47 pounds this last Summer to 35 pounds currently.

She had her full exam and bloodwork in September and all looked good was about 42 pounds at the time. We thought maybe her gums and teeth were giving her discomfort. She had a subsequent cleaning in late September and it all checked out. Her appetite has declined so much in the last month that I have done what I have never done before which is trying to entice her to eat with steak, rotisserie chicken, ham, eggs, bacon .... It worked for awhile but now she is just shutting down.

Yesterday brought her in for X-rays and ultrasound and it is what I feared, mottling in her spleen and liver. The vet is pushing for doing a biopsy to determine the specific most likely form of lymphoma she has. That would then be followed with oral chemotherapy. I let go of my Golden almost nine years ago now for similar reasons as I am not going to have my dog suffer to keep her around for my behalf. Hardest part is she is still very responsive, mobile and enjoys walking around outdoors with me still.

This is just one of the many stark reminders of my mortality and taking stock that in life all we truly have is our relationships and they are all impermanent. I am so truly going to miss her. Looking to find a vet that will come to the property to euthanize her as I do not want going laying on a cold hard steel table.

·
Super Moderator
31,937 Posts
It's hard to do to put a friend down when their love was so great for so many years..........
You're doing the right thing.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
467 Posts
This is always so sad. We hope your loving memories will sustain you in the days to come.

We had to put down our two well loved and loving beagles about 14 years apart. We had loved nothing more than a fine rabbit hunt together on a winter day. Now in my mid 80s and alone in the field, sometimes I think I can hear their call. Maybe I can.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Sorry. That's hard. We lost a young corgi to lymphoma at age 4, the one in the emoji.

Many times lymphoma will respond very quickly to a course of prednisone or prednisalone. For our boy, it gave him 7 weeks of additional normalcy. Then it come back and we had to let him go.

A course of steroids is only an option if you are sure you won't be doing anything else. Additional chemo will not have a positive effect after the steroids. It should restore her energy and her appetite---for a few weeks.

Ask your vet.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry. That's hard. We lost a young corgi to lymphoma at age 4, the one in the emoji.

Many times lymphoma will respond very quickly to a course of prednisone or prednisalone. For our boy, it gave him 7 weeks of additional normalcy. Then it come back and we had to let him go.

A course of steroids is only an option if you are sure you won't be doing anything else. Additional chemo will not have a positive effect after the steroids. It should restore her energy and her appetite---for a few weeks.

Ask your vet.
Been having that exact conversation with my Vet most of the day today. Getting ready to go pick up prednisone here shortly. I had some leftover from some of my RA meds that I gave her earlier this morning and she is already showing a bit of an upswing. Just as you describe, if it's an extra 7 days, weeks or whatever, if it works for now.

I run and own a high volume pet boarding and doggie daycare for 15 years now and was a Allied Health Medical professional for 25 years prior. Not a doctor but I have a decent knowledge base on anatomy, physiology and pathology. I have seen the full gambit of approaches and treatments on other dogs and I firmly do not believe in giving dogs I am steward over radiation and or chemo.

Had a Golden go through an addisonian crisis and subsequently treated him for four years at several hundred a month before he developed what is currently very similar to what she is dealing with. He was in much rougher shape and further along and let him go the same day we found out.

Had an Aussie four and half years ago battle with a front leg sarcoma that at 13 1/2 we had it removed but I turned down radiation treatments. A year later at 14 1/2 it came back and we repeated the process. A year later it came back again but this time was not resectable and the Vet was trying to convince me to amputate the leg. At 15 1/2 years old I said no way, it was time for him to move on and go spend time with his brother the Golden I just described. i have been through this process relatively speaking many times in my life, it just does not get any easier.

Thank you all for your support and thoughts!!

·
Registered
996 Posts
@edcknives - my fellow brother, my heart goes out to your and your family in this situation. There are really no words adequate to describe the loss of a beloved pet and companion. I offer you courage and strength as you go through this process!
Kermit

·
Registered
493 Posts
before we put our brittany down the vet put him on prednisone and he was like a young dog again but once he was off it his condition went right back, enjoy him while you can.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
EDC, I am sorry. I have been where you are and it is horrible. Give her lots of love, spoil her. She will let you know when it is time. If you can not find a vet that will come to you, many will come out to your vehicle. My guys have always loved rides so that has worked for us. Either way it is so dam hard.

Take care,

Padraig

·
Super Moderator
4,229 Posts
Not going to like this one. Very sorry to hear. Hard decision to make but you’ll know when the right time is. Talk to your Vet, when we put our 15 1/2 year old Lab down a few years ago, they had a room set up for the procedure. It looked like a living room with a couch and chair. I was able to sit on the floor and have our girl across my lap when they gave her the shots. They left us alone with her and told us to take as much time as we needed.

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
Sorry for what you're going through brother! Been there a few times and it's one of the hardest things in life!

Reactions: edcknives

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
EDC, I am sorry. I have been where you are and it is horrible. Give her lots of love, spoil her. She will let you know when it is time. If you can not find a vet that will come to you, many will come out to your vehicle. My guys have always loved rides so that has worked for us. Either way it is so dam hard.

Take care,

Padraig
Never thought of that with the vehicle and both my dogs ride with me all the time. Serious consideration!

Reactions: Padraig
1 - 20 of 30 Posts