Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a leftover licence, so got two for antelope- Sept 11 is close. Had to move the hunt up because of neighbors' schedules; they want to do the early deer hunt on the 15th on a relative's ranch, might get to go along :wink: Been shooting the Marlin 375 and its ready. Will spend a few days up in the hills with the trailer and dogs and neighbors, can smell the campfire and coffee already. A river full of trout near where I hunt, so they're on the menu. I'm a meat hunter, and the best tasting antelope are young does, skin em quick,wash em down good. Eat backstraps cornmeal coated panfried with butter- gonna clog up my arteries gooood! Oh why do I have to work for a living!? The next 3 months are hunting fishing heaven. :D OH oh, blue grouse on the 1st, pack the Beretta silver snipe and a box of #7s.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Rub it in why don't ya :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dave :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ooops

OOOOPS......sorry :lol:

·
Registered
363 Posts
In which State will you have your antelope hunt??

L.W.

·
Banned
150 Posts
Hey Suzy,

What else do you use that Malin 375 on? Is it scoped for antelope or are you able to get close enough to the speed demons for a good shot with iron sights?

Recently acquired a 375 and have been debating, half-heartedly, whether I should scope it. Some folks say that while it is not technically a big bore, it's close and they have used it on larger game, including elk and moose.

Interested in your experience with it.

Thanks,
lazer

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wyoming area 98

Its in Wyoming area 98. I have the Marlin 375 scoped with a Leupold 2-7, mainly keep it on 4. My max shot 175yds, but will move closest to 100yds or less which isn't hard- there's alot of little depressions and little valleys, with pines along the sides. The 375 came with a receiver sight which I put on my 444P. I'll use either the 444 or 375 for deer hunting this year. This will be my first antelope hunt with the 375; used Marlin 35Rem last year, made a 60 yard chest shot, went right down.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had someone on another board explain to me that they refer to an antelope as a "speed goat". I though that was hilarious ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update on the Antelope

Well, nothing got off the ground until the 12 th, so lost a day and a half of hunting due to nieghbor trying to find a tire for someone's old camp trailer, not mine. :x The Marlin 375 took my first antelope at dusk, a young buck, at 124yds with Win 200gr - a head shot, using my homemade shootin stick from the old crabapple tree I cut down this spring. The availability of close shots became nil, as numerous hunters flooded the hills, and the goats got real spooked. I took the second antelope, a big doe, at 229 yds, a spine shot shooting down onto a little bench on the side of the mountain with the Rem 760 30-06, and 150gr Win silvertips in the sitting position. Had to bone it out and haul it up the game trail in my pack frame, as too steep an incline and no other access, and the last day for the hunting party. It will be salami. This evening we head out to camp at a ranch outside Big Piney for opening day tomarrow for deer- Whoohoo! Thank God for a hot bath and a couple a naproxin for the old age aches. :)
One thing I should learn after all these years- not to be a slave to someone else's schedule, because I usually end up waiting for everyone else to get their act together. I don't have to be back to work until the 19th, and by God, I'm taking my own gear, and time until then.

·
Registered
363 Posts
suzyq:

sounds to me like you are a shore nuff dead gun! and gritty to boot!

good luck in your search for old golden.

luck!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Suzy...
Spent a week down in area 50, saw a goodly amount of fair size bucks, but we were hunting the early blackpowder season...and I know now why they invented " catridge " guns...have to wait until the 23rd. to go with a real gun...the fishin' at Flaming Gorge was great...

The real reason they call em' goats, is because they smell just like a damn goat!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sand Draw, I envy you goin to Flaming Gorge, so cool! Sometimes you see an elk up in the bluffs, often you can hear them bugling this time of year. Yeah, a shot on a goat with a muzzle loader, holy cow, some serious huntin. Good luck! Got a very big doe muley on Saturday, a lung shot with the 375. Should be good eating, as she was coming from an alfalfa field. I saw one ENORMOUS whitetail buck before dawn, as I was driving the dirt road to the woods. But never saw him again. Whitetails are still kinda rare there; they come down from Idaho. So I settled for "Ms Grey" instead of old Golden, Squacks- this one was alot easier to get packed into the truck :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts