Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was eyeballing some of the targets I shot last year with the first reloads I had ever made and a couple sort of stood out, so I thought duplicate the load for this year and this time Chrony them.....great idea huh!
So I'm going over my data and find one load that I had used Lyman's 49th Edition as a reference and made up this load: Bullet: Hornady 265 jfp, Case: Hornady sized to 2.215", primer:CCI 200 LR, Powder: 41.0gr IMR4198, COAL: 2.560" This got me a 4 round group of 1.559" x 0.674" and a 5 round group average of 2036FPS. I did Chrony these at two different times, First time out I shot 1 Each of the 8 loads made up just to see IF they worked, apparently so 'cause I'm still here! ;D That group is seen in the lower right hand side.

Now comes the reason for the post. I made a second batch up
Using the Alliant web site as a reference, I look up a recipe for the Marlin .444 and Reloader 7 and go with: R-P case sized to 2.215", Primer:CCI 200 LR, Bullet: Remington 240 gr. jsp, Powder: 45.0gr. Alliant Reloader 7, MY COAL is 2.522". Alliant site states Minimum OAL (inches) 2.53" which means I'm short on my COAL.
I make up another 40 rounds using the recipe above for a starter and do 5 rounds in the following increments: 45.0gr.,46.0gr.,47.0gr.,48.0gr.,48.5gr.,49.0gr.,49.5gr.,and 50 gr. max. Shot the first 20 off with no problems noted, however they did seem to have a more noticeable kick. What all of this comes down to is this: The remaining loads are only going to go up in pressures and unfortunately I haven't Chronied this batch yet so I don't know what they're pushing FPS wise, What would you guys do? A Do over or leave them be and check FPS with a Chrony come warmer weather? Depending on whose manual you go by I've started under-loaded and have maxed out at 48.5 grs. I'm sticking by the Alliant info. Mr fixit

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Your load with 41.0 gr of IMR-4198 is relatively light. When I was using that powder I was loading 44 - 45 gr. So it stands to reason the recoil is going to be lighter than the Re7. My question is why did you switch? If you started with IMR-4198 (I found H4198 was a bit more accurate and I got better velocity in my gun), why did you decide to go to Alliant powder? I'm just curious.

·
Super Moderator
15,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curiosity Hal, still checking out different powders and components. This year I have vowed to take the chrony with me every time to the range. I really want to start nailing down good loads for the rifles I have, makes things a bit difficult having 13 centerfires to go with, but I will be concentrating on the 336W, 30TK, .444, 30-06. The 2 30-30's getting a lot of attention this year in loads. So Hal Would you leave the .444 loads alone or pull them? Mr fixit

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I'd continue shooting them through the Chrony and checking for pressure signs. You should be able to get to 2250 fps without any undue pressure. If you start to see the signs, then quit and pull the rest of them.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Halwg said:
I'd continue shooting them through the Chrony and checking for pressure signs. You should be able to get to 2250 fps without any undue pressure. If you start to see the signs, then quit and pull the rest of them.
I would agree. Felt recoil is subjective, the chrono and fired casings will tell the tale.

Don't forget... warmer temperatures can mean higher pressures (relatively speaking.)

·
Super Moderator
15,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys, figure I'd start shooting again around April so temps shouldn't have too much of an effect on the loads I hope. Mr fixit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts