Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few of them for sale here and there and just wonder how collectable they are if at all.

·
Super Moderator
25,163 Posts
Some are collectable if they are the short barreled Texan models. The standard 20 inch barreled versions with full length mag tubes and 1/2 length mag tubes are common and not that collectable. I like them because I get tighter 3 shot groups possibly due to the end capped configuration.

DSCN0423.jpg

·
Registered
327 Posts
Have one that is not so collectable, but it is also so sweet I would not part with it.

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
They are great shooters and far cheaper then any SC model. Except for the ones that Troy mentioned, they may not have much collectors value but for $200-$350 they are one of the best buys out there and the 1970 that I have is the smoothest Marlin I have that hasn't had the action slicked up.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Are you actually looking at one as a collector item or just wanting opinions on the Glenfield?
I only have one Marlin 336, its all I want, it has a purpose. It is a 2005 model "W". Its just a glorified Glenfield, birch stock and all. Had I found a Glenfield in its condition I would not have hesitated to buy it and I'm sure been just as proud of it as what I wound up with. IMO everything else being equal a walnut stocked gun will be worth more than a birch or plastic.

BTW I shot 1 1/2" groups with irons at 50 yards with mine.

·
Premium Member
11,171 Posts
I know they're every bit a Marlin, and they were made in much fewer numbers..........That translates into COLLECTIBLE for the Marlin collecter.......

I'd not pass up the chance to own one, either as is or for a build of some kind..............

Tom

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have the 30GT model with straight stock and squared lever and never knew it was collectable. To me its just a very good hunting carbine.

The trigger was awful but a smith lightened it to approx. 3.5 lbs and I love it.

TR

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I was able to pick one up not too long ago. Love it. Gets tighter groups than my 336. If you have a chance to get one at a deal. Go for it. You want be sorry

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
About three or four years ago, I stopped at a pawn shop after deer season and prior to tax time (my favorite time of year to shop for guns) and spotted two Glenfield 30s for 112.95 and 122.95. I bought the cheaper one and should have bought both. The one I got had perfect metal and excellent wood. This has become my go to .30-30.

Reactions: M700

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I remember, back in the early 70's, two brothers used them. Actually, they were poachers who shot deer year around and sold the meat to the wild game shops, down by the Trinity river in Liberty, Tx. Anyhow, from time to time they would get caught,a nd have their rifles confiscated. They would go down to Western Auto and buy another Glenfield ( this store sold them with a cheap scope on them at the time also, all less than $100) They liked them because they were cheap, easy to use, and didn't tear up the meat much, if at all. Others bought them as starter guns for their kids or just as workhorses/truck guns ( well, every gun was a truck gun then, ha) I was never drawn to them as, at the time, all my family were Winchester 94 people, iron sights too ( "you can't hit a deer in the woods with one of those scopes" was drilled into me, ha) Later in life, I found that even the cheapest marlin ( or Sears/Revelation/Wards store brand) was almost always more accurate then most Mod 94's! When 3 wheelers came out ( along with their propensity to crash!) the Savage synthetic stocks/scope packages really caught on. My family has them everywhere down there!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I remember, back in the early 70's, two brothers used them. Actually, they were poachers who shot deer year around and sold the meat to the wild game shops, down by the Trinity river in Liberty, Tx. Anyhow, from time to time they would get caught,a nd have their rifles confiscated. They would go down to Western Auto and buy another Glenfield ( this store sold them with a cheap scope on them at the time also, all less than $100) They liked them because they were cheap, easy to use, and didn't tear up the meat much, if at all. Others bought them as starter guns for their kids or just as workhorses/truck guns ( well, every gun was a truck gun then, ha) I was never drawn to them as, at the time, all my family were Winchester 94 people, iron sights too ( "you can't hit a deer in the woods with one of those scopes" was drilled into me, ha) Later in life, I found that even the cheapest marlin ( or Sears/Revelation/Wards store brand) was almost always more accurate then most Mod 94's! When 3 wheelers came out ( along with their propensity to crash!) the Savage synthetic stocks/scope packages really caught on. My family has them everywhere down there!
I'd a thought that a 22 or 12 ga. would be the gun of choice around Liberty........it is in every county around Liberty County. Hardin, Polk, and San Jacinto, along with every other East Texas county were famous for poaching in the old days (30-40 years ago). It still goes on, and the 22 LR or 12 ga. is still the weapon of choice.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A guy had one listed on the ODT but wouldn't answer emails or return calls so I wasn't able to buy the one I was looking at.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Hey LPete- you are right, everybody had a 22 & a 12, ha. These two guys hunted mostly in daytime! They figured everyone was at "work" and the Wardens were out mostly at night! I knew a few others who swore by the .22 magnum for this, and I myself have used one for a lot of hogs. Whereabouts in Texas are you brother Pete? I grew up in Hull-Daisetta, left at 33 (87) to go to Tulsa for the Ministry.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
One county east of Liberty County.

I could tell you about some fellers in Trinity County and their outlaw exploits, but I have neither the time nor the finger strength to keyboard it out. They had a real enterprise going in the 1960s, but the pressure got too hot, and the give it up for a while.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I have one that is a limited edition I rescued from a pawn shop about 6 years ago for $100 bucks . It had a piece a stick and a wood screw for a mag cap , in the end of the mag tube . Replaced that " , and tore it completely down and gave it a good cleaning and put it back together . Refinished the stock and forearm and added some trinkets of my own :biggrin:..... Added a XS forward mount scope rail.... My Favorit " for Marlin lever rifles . Added a cheap 3x9x32 scope , and got it to shootin 2 inches Flat" , at a 100 yds. with 160 gr. FTX Hornaday bullets , and H~4895 powder . Haven't got a chance to use it yet out in the field , but since I'm RETIRED" Now , Thank the Lord", I will be trying it out , on some of these Texas Hogs :eating:

DSC04053.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts