Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped in at my local pawn shop yesterday just to poke around and look at the guns and guitars - found something I liked in both categories, but then I always do, and walked out empty handed, but then, I always do. Soliciting thoughts on a possible trade that I am conjuring up in my mind -

They had a New Haven made 336AS (with cross bolt safety) in very very good condition. It has solid wood (probably Birch-?-) with no checkering (which I like much better than checkering on any of the Marlins overall to begin with). They are asking $400 for it [I did not look at the s/n or scope brand that is currently mounted on it]-

I am thinking about offering my one year old New York made 336W which I still have the box for and maybe $25-$50 - I paid near $400 ($387 plus taxes) for the 336W and pushed about 30-40 rounds through it.... I am thinking, dollar-wise, that would then make the overall cost of the 336AS $425-450 which sounds silly since they are asking $400, but they probably would not want to go for a straight trade.

Do you think this is a reasonable price to start for the 336AS? Would this be a foolish trade if I gave my one year old 33W plus money? I would appreciate Your thoughts on prices and trades - Thanks!

Tar Heel

Reactions: 444GunSlinger2

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Do you have problems with the one you have???If it functions as it should I would not get rid of it because its marked RM.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I would shoot for an even up trade (maybe let them keep the scope if it is nothing special...they can probably get $50-$75 for it) as your rifle probably has more "curb appeal" on their rack. Can't hurt to try!

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have problems with the one you have???If it functions as it should I would not get rid of it because its marked RM.
No problems with the 336W - just like the looks (wood and scope) of the 336AS better than the laminate on the 336W -

Thanks!

Reactions: gunrunner

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hey Tar Heel, I understand your predicament. The solid wood on the 336AS would look better to me than the 336W. Miljimbob is on the right track, a straight across swap.
Go ahead and ask 'em, you've got nothing to lose. It's good to strike up a relationship with with the staff at places like that, and may help grease the skids on a future deal.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I can tell you now they will not trade you with only $50 boot. Make a deal for the JM gun out the door then sell your gun here one Marlin Owners. If it is priced right it will sell fast. Best of Luck !

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
If the Remlin shoots well don't trade it.Offer him $300 for the Marlin and see where he goes from there.My experience is that pawn shops are always willing to work with you if you are reasonable.I got a nice North Haven made 39a in NM cond for $450. From a pawn shop.He was asking $550.The gun looks like it hasn't had 100 rounds through it!

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I'm not good on the dollars here etc., although there may be some wiggle room there being a pawn depending on what he has into it(?), but I would be up to doing a trade along those lines if it was me. Good luck to you.

Reactions: Tar_Heel 336

·
Super Moderator
25,165 Posts
I bought my JM 336AS (made in 2000) on GB for 325 bucks a year and a half ago. I think they a little high on the price--see if you can trade and add only 25 bucks at most. If they can't do that--I would walk away from the deal.

Reactions: Tar_Heel 336

·
Registered
741 Posts
Go for it. You never know until you try.

I did a similar deal last Saturday. I was sure they would want over $100 to trade their 1969 336 30-30 for my 336 W 30-30 with the crossbolt safety. I was prepared to go as high as $100 just because I liked the 336 with the older smooth walnut better than my 336W with the checkered almost brown paint looking finish.

To my surprise he went to the back to see what they had in their gun and came out saying he'd trade for $30 difference OTD.

So he got my 336W and $30 and I got his pristine 336 and I was OTD.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Do you think this is a reasonable price to start for the 336AS?
I don't think it is a reasonable price. I wouldn't give $400.00 for a 336 AS. In all honesty, I wouldn't give any amount for one, because I wouldn't be satisfied with plain "pallet wood" stocks.

Would this be a foolish trade if I gave my one year old 33W plus money?
I think it would be foolish. What is the crossbolt safety 336 AS going to do that a 336 W can't do, aside from looking different? It's not that how a thing looks is unimportant -one of the reasons I'm so in to Ruger No.1's is because I love how they look and feel and have admired them aesthetically since I was a little kid. But I do think there is something wrong with trading a known good shooter on something that may well have wound up in a pawn shop because the owner didn't like it, and one of the reasons why an owner might not like a rifle is that it ain't a great shooter or even a good one. Stocks on 336's are easy to swap. Why not just change what you don't like about what you've already got instead of running the risk of getting something else that you also might not like?

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
+1 on the clean deal on the AS, then sell your W outright.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think it is a reasonable price. I wouldn't give $400.00 for a 336 AS. In all honesty, I wouldn't give any amount for one, because I wouldn't be satisfied with plain "pallet wood" stocks.

I think it would be foolish. What is the crossbolt safety 336 AS going to do that a 336 W can't do, aside from looking different? It's not that how a thing looks is unimportant -one of the reasons I'm so in to Ruger No.1's is because I love how they look and feel and have admired them aesthetically since I was a little kid. But I do think there is something wrong with trading a known good shooter on something that may well have wound up in a pawn shop because the owner didn't like it, and one of the reasons why an owner might not like a rifle is that it ain't a great shooter or even a good one. Stocks on 336's are easy to swap. Why not just change what you don't like about what you've already got instead of running the risk of getting something else that you also might not like?
Great Commentary and Advice all the way around - Thanks for a better perspective - it will likely be more wise (and effective) to put the furniture and scope I like and want on the W that I already own and like!

Also - I like the advice of simply making a straight deal on the AS (or any other that I may have my eye on) and then part with the W if I feel so inclined - problem is - I like the W and will likely keep it as well... Oh, well, I guess this is exactly how gun collections start, huh? Ha!

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Might not hurt to look for a different caliber OR a totally different style of Marlin. You know you can find Marlin Marauders (16"bbl) and Cowboys (24"bbl) in 30-30...now EITHER of those could give you a new way to shoot 30-30! Maybe look for a 35Rem...anyway you slice it would be a win win for you! Besides, your Remlin is probably lonely for other lever guns. :eating:
For example, my GBL needed big loop company, so I got a 35Rem BL to provide companionship:

However, it continued to cry and whine because it wasn't the same caliber, so I went out and grabbed a Remlin SBL and so far everyone is happy:

At least in the case of the Big Loops, you should see the result of my Marlin 1895CB whining it was lonely:flute: took me buying a LOT more rifles to satisfy it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts