Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual I woke up just before the crack of dawn, listening to the song birds begin their morning celebration choirs. Following routine I dressed in the dim light being careful not to stir my wife still soundly asleep. After making my morning mixture of milk, chocolate-flavored powdered-vitamins, and protein, I grabbed my marlin guide gun and headed to the front porch to enjoy the emerging morning. As I sat in the old wooden chair and leaned back against the wall alongside my guide gun, I settled in to share my drink with the morning. Sitting there and realizing it was such a perfect morning I decided to take a short walk down the west trail leading through the endless forest among the foot hills. I set the empty glass on the deck, grabbed my guide gun, rocked the chair forward, and headed for the hills. It was just becoming shooting light and with the sun soon to raise at my back the shadows slowly lightened enough to reveal the forest floor in full spring bloom. As the trail winded among the foothills my senses detected a few small rocks falling down a steep hill side to my left. I looked up in time to see a large cat springing from its crouched position atop the ledge. Instinctively and in one fluid motion I turned, shouldered my guide gun (left shoulder), pulled the hammer back, placed the white front site post on the airborne cat's chest, and pulled the trigger. I never noticed the rear ghost ring sight but am sure it was centered up on the front sight because that big cat dropped stone-cold dead, knocking me to the left as it glanced off my right shoulder. Now fully awake and shaking from the adrenaline rushing through my bloodstream I cautiously inspected the big cat. The 300 grain speer did its work quite nicely entering the chest centered between her front legs and exiting her back after severing her backbone. As I began to ponder about walking back and getting the atv to haul the cat or calling the authorities and leaving the cat where she lay, I came to my senses. Still resting against the cabin wall in that old wooden chair, I set the empty glass on the floor, reached for my guide gun, and lay it across my lap with a smile on my face thinking; man, I can't wait until fall hunting season.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
That was great, had me going too! After reading the short story it makes me think that is the way to wake up in the morning. Front porch, coffee and a guide gun. I'll have to try that sometime to see if it conjures up anything like it did for you. ;D

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
That was cool! 8)

·
Registered
622 Posts
:) Nice story.

I take a rythm medice for my heart. A side affect is that it gives you "VIVID DREAMS". I actually get to have dreams like that and wake up in a cold sweat. Good news is that sometimes I get to dream my 52 year old wife is 21 again, and I am too. :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
1895Gunner said:
That was great, had me going too! After reading the short story it makes me think that is the way to wake up in the morning. Front porch, coffee and a guide gun. I'll have to try that sometime to see if it conjures up anything like it did for you. ;D
Me too but the only thing that would conjure up would be a visit by the local constabulary. ::)
Guns on front porches in town, are usually frowned upon here. Now, on the back deck..... ;D

HA

·
Registered
367 Posts
Great story!!!!

Images of "Monte Walsh" sitting on the porch of the General Store, eating peaches from a can, with a 'splash' of whiskey poured over the peaches, entered my mind.

Simpler times, sittin' on the porch.
What a life!!

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Rifles on the front porch ... that reminds me of the pleasant afternoon I spent fire forming cartridge cases on my front porch a while back. I often hear gun shots going off in my neck of the woods. No one complains or even seems to notice. I often spend some pleasant time shooting my rimfire rifles into a bullet trap on my 50 yard range on my property. I think I'm going to have to order a load or two of sand to make a berm so that I can shoot centerfires also. I love living in more or less rural America.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Milk, chocolate flavored vitamins, and protein drink?? I think we call that breakfast a Yoo-Hoo and sausage biscuit here in Georgia. Anyway, I'll have one of what ever he's drinking ! LOL

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice tale, Findrichard. Had me at the edge of my chair. Don't have a porch, but sit on my chair, my Marlin in hand, and have all sorts of critters wander through. I'm in the semi-wilds, and can seriously relate to your neat story. Thanks for tellin' it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
that was a good story, reminds me of the stuff i used to read in "Bugle" Magazine.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed my little day dream. Hunting season never seems long enough for me, there is just something fulfilling about the woods and rifles, can't seem to get enough. When I get back to the city after a season of hunting it does not take long for me to start dreaming about hunting again. I am really looking forward to the day I can spend all year in the country.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts