Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well doggie !!
you guys and yer .32 specials .. was killing me .. after reading all i could about the .32 winchester special and cast boolits .. i had to have one..
looked everywhere for a 336 Marlin.. no dice.
sooooooo i bought a 1972 ?
Winchester model 94 in .32 special.
I've been smitten with the .32
just won it on gunbroker ..
on layaway .. but should be in my sweaty paws soon !!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my understanding ? is all Winchester .32 specials had a 1-16 twist barrels..
need some input from you Winchester experts. :)
looking VERY forward to learning to cast my own.
i think I'll make her a dedicated cast boolit shooter. :)
very interesting caliber..
altho .. not crazy about the blonde wood.. it'll work.
have already bought the Williams peeps . with target knobs..
remember my old 47 flat band 3030 ?
well that one is a pre 64.. couldn't get past drilling the receiver ... for peeps.
so i bought this one .. already

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
my understanding ? is all Winchester .32 specials had a 1-16 twist barrels..
need some input from you Winchester experts. :)
looking VERY forward to learning to cast my own.
i think I'll make her a dedicated cast boolit shooter. :)
very interesting caliber..
altho .. not crazy the blonde wood.. it'll work.
have already bought the Williams peeps . with target knobs..
remember my old 47 flat band 3030 ?
well that one is a pre 64.. couldn't get past drilling the receiver ... for peeps.
so i bought this one .. already drilled for peeps.
problems solved.. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
you will love yer 32 special.....and very happy to hear you didn't alter your pre 64. My 32 spec is a 1942 given to me by my grandfather when i was 12(i'm 62) and it is kind of retired(like me). It shoots a plain base 170 gr cast bullet from Oregon Trail at 1600 fps....a joy to shoot, will do a 3 shot 2" group at 100yds, and if i needed meat wouldn't hesitate to take broadside shots at deer at 100-125 yds. Have fun with your gun......Mike

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey thanks guys...
i still have that question ..
are ALL .32 winchester specials 1-16 twist barrels ?
I'm a googling .. but ???????

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Back in the day, some "gun writer expert" had some theory about the twist, or the depth of groove maybe, on the 32 Win. It's been so long, and I don't recall ever reading his theories, but had just heard about them.

I strongly suspected at the time, the theory never held water, but was just a way for the writer to try to get a feud going with the readers. Guys like Keith and O Conner were famous for throwing out some wild notion to see what would stick, and increase readership.

1/16 sounds about right, whether they all had that twist, I don't know off hand without some research.

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
from everything i can find so far ?
i thinks ...yes. they all .. are one in sixteen twist.
i thinks .. my rifle is a 1972 i believe.. I'll find out for sure when she gets here.
a cleaning rod and a piece of tape..
thanks guys :)

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
congrats,
nice lookin' rifle

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you will love yer 32 special.....and very happy to hear you didn't alter your pre 64. My 32 spec is a 1942 given to me by my grandfather when i was 12(i'm 62) and it is kind of retired(like me). It shoots a plain base 170 gr cast bullet from Oregon Trail at 1600 fps....a joy to shoot, will do a 3 shot group at 100yds, and if i needed meat wouldn't hesitate to take broadside shots at deer at 100-125 yds. Have fun with your gun......Mike

well dog gone it !
your post .. cost me money . :)
i just ordered those orgeon trail 170s .. till i get set up to cast on my own. bought 500 of them .. that should last awile...:)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well... well .... well .....
this is getting addictive ....
just ordered a set of RCBS COWBOY .. .32 Winchester special dies... supposedly for cast boolits..
sooooo .. we're on a roll .. :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
far as i know, both 32-40 and 32 special winnies have a 1:16" twist and the barrel spec is .322. the formulas of the day (and current ones, i hear, tho i'm not mathematician enuff ta test it) have that as the perfect twist fer stabilizin' a 170gr 32 bullet, so that's the size ta go up 'n down from. c.o.l. is the main factor limiting size; ya can't git much past 2-1/2 inches overall if ya expect 'em to feed. i've been moldin' boolits fer my 4 32ws's goin' t'other way, with 165gr, 151gr, 134gr and 2 120gr molds; only the 134gr has a gascheck, but i've bought some nice 182gr gaschecks from a dealer that fly mighty straight outta my little 16" carbine, so i know there's a good mold out there somewhere fer that end o' things. most of my molds, by the way, are out of production (except the 165gr) so i hadta wait 'til they popped up on ebay er gb. there's a "perfection" adjustable nose-pour mold on auction arms right now but i can't summon up the 250 buck starting bid. happy hunting--and happy casting! i'm new at it, but as ya can tell, i been bit hard!
mind yer topknot!
windy

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Hey buckweet,
Got a post 64 Winchester Model 94 from 1968 and she looks right like yours. It's one of my four .32 Specials I have. I put a Lyman 66 receiver site on mine and she shoots fine with jacketed and cast. I shot one doe with the 1968 94 and it was a bang flop using the factory 165 grain HDY FTX loads. Got on her fresh trail in the snow and started to follow her. After a short time I caught her standing looking back at me. Shot her offhand at 80 yards and after she hit the snow, her tail might have flopped two or three times but that was it.

I bought the 1968 94 from a guy at work. It was his first deer rifle given to him by his dad. He hunted with it for a few years until he bought a 30-06 and then it just stood in the gun cabinet for all those years until I bought it in 2009. I replaced the magazine tube spring and the extractor to solve some feeding and extraction issues she had. The post 64 Model 94's tear down much easier than the pre 64's. My one fear with using her is that the post 64's are noted for breaking the cast white metal cartridge lifter. Looked and could not find a spare one to have on hand so if it breaks I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Here's a photo of my four .32 Win Specials: My 1968 Winchester Model 94, my 1949 Winchester Model 94, my 1957 Marlin 336SC, and my 1951 Marlin 336SC. The two targets shown were shot with my 1957 Marlin 336SC. First target is my Ranch Dog 323-175 FNGC bullet at 1744 fps using Alliant 2400 powder. Second target is my RCBS 08-170 FNGC bullet @ 2300 fps using Hogdon LVR powder.

Enjoy yours to fullest and have fun with it!

358 Win

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have read before on one of the forums that winchester's original thought in reference to the 32 spec was that they expected that shooters of the day would fire factory smokeless ammo then likely reload the factory cases with cast bullets and black powder so they set up the barrels(twist rate etc) to facilitate that. Not 100% pos how good that info is.....could be BS......Mike

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
I have read before on one of the forums that winchester's original thought in reference to the 32 spec was that they expected that shooters of the day would fire factory smokeless ammo then likely reload the factory cases with cast bullets and black powder so they set up the barrels(twist rate etc) to facilitate that. Not 100% pos how good that info is.....could be BS......Mike[/QUOTE

Zoner,
Read the same thing myself. Winchester also offered as an option on the early 94's (circa early 1900's) a special rear site allowing for regulation of the lower velocity black powder hand loads in the .32 Special. I guess Winchester thought that smokeless powder was only a passing fancy!:biggrin:

358 Win

·
Registered
717 Posts
if i remember right Winchester was assuming people would go the black powder route more for economic reasons.....just plain cheaper casting your own and using the black. 358....the special rear sight is interesting.....anybody got a pic of this sight?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts