Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think that Hornady/ Marlin wishes they would have waited and brought out the 308Mx and 338Mx together and that they would have both been based on the 376 Steyr and the 308 would have just been basically the 338Mx necked down?? My thought being it would have given them more of a family association like the 308/7mm-08/260Rem/243...plus the 308Mx would have ended up with 4 or 5 grains minimum more case capacity..meaning true 308 performance...so, now that I've planted the seed??..what do you think? ??? ;D

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Who knows; but what does it matter at this point? As to how that introduction order would have impacted me personally, had the 338ME been introduced first I would have purchased that gun and never bothered with buying my 308MX; thus I would still have the nearly $1K I invested in the 308MX, scope, rings/bases, ammo, brass, and dies. As for me, I haven't taken the 308MX out of the safe since I fired the 338MX that first time; and not because the 308MX wasn't effective, I simply found the 338MX to be more accurate, more fun to shoot, and absolutely devastating on the receiving end.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally think that hornady regrets all the development time and expense when they found just how good the Steyr was as a starting point...i think that they were pushing hard to gather in all of the 308W/307W/300Sav fans in on one swoop by doing all that work on the 308 and publishing all the improvement steps and why...it was to help us develop a specific mindset and they developed a bit of tunnel vision....me? I have both and glad of it

·
Registered
149 Posts
I disagree, it,s basic evolution! You have to crawl before you walk and walk before you run. There was no waste of time to develop the 308MX because there was nothing in that area for new lever action guns. It filled a void and gave new interest and life to the lever action. The 338 was just the next step in development and it filled the void for that caliber. The Hornady loads for the 30-30, 444, 45-70 gave new life to those rounds. The next step might be 7mm, 6.5 caliber,s for the lever fan,s but I think Quality issue,s will have to be addressed before any development would occur in those area,s. Just a thought.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
And if they come out with a 7mm-338LE cartridge, I will be one of the first in line with my checkbook waving in the wind! I would still keep my 338 MXLR but I think I would have a 308 MX up for sale. DP

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me too...thats sort of whats been in the back of my mind ..if the 338MX had been first ,..would the next progression in the family been a 30cal or 7mm...heck..even maybe a 6.5 ::) Must be my meds working OT...thanks for tolerating my maniacal rants guys :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts