Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Belongs to my neighbor Everett. dont know the model. Hes done man deer drives forever.Ive seen him kill maybe 30 with it. Shoots 3" #1buck in it.We dont do drives as much as years ago.But back then it was ever sat 9 to 2.Everetts in his late 60s now.I asked him to sell it to me,but said hes got to many memories in it.And I can understand that.Still its been a heck of a working shotgun,and still could get the job done.I like working guns with history behind em,alot better than NIBs.
Gunrunner,,

Attachments

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
No expert on them Marlin Shotguns Randy, but is it a Model 120? I got a Glenfield Model 778 which is the less exspensive
version of the Model 120. It was my late FIL's and it was passed onto me. I don't think he fired more than ten shots out of
it after he bought it brand new. I do know one late night he opened the bathroom window upstairs in his house, turned on
the spotlight and shot at a skunk digging up his yard but instead hit his garbage can and blew it out onto the street. Tore the lid clean off the garbage can and the lid rolled down the street towards my house. I never heard the shot either. I'll tell you what, we laughed so hard at that one we both had tears rolling down our cheeks. Talk about history, I've got the only Glenfield Model 778 known to have killed a zinc plated garbage can and lid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
Bob

Reactions: dgwatson45

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
;D Thats what I mean Bob,when you can tell storys about a gun,it adds more value than the scratches take from it.IMO.Reminds me of when Dad had it in for chipmonks.They had built a nest on top of the motor on a old truck he never drives.Only cranks it up ever so often.Well he had in for em ;D Later he got Mom a 12x12 building for her stuff,so shed stay out of the barns.He got it on his mind that theyd chew the wireing up on her new building.He spied one out on a railrod timber that she had us put out a long time back to make a flower bed in.So he shot it with a double bal fox shotgun loaded with 12ga 3"#4s ;D He got it. But the patteren also got the corner of his barn and the corner of moms new building too ;D ;D Me and Mike about rolled laughing about it.But didnt let Daddy see us because he still had the other barrel ;D He just mite of gave us a dose of it ;D.Gunrunner

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I'd sure like to meet your Dad sometime!! Reminds me a lot of my late FIL. In the 30 years we knew each other (he passed on 1998, day before Thanksgiving) we never had a cross word and I could not have asked for better in-laws. What fond memories I'll always have of them both. My gosh we used to have fun together hunting small game and deer. We were squirrel hunting one day when I was dating my wife. I had a borrowed 16guage Savage pump gun along that day. I
fired three shots as fast as I could work the pump and got three squirrels. Went to where he was set up and he says "An awful lot of shooting for one squirrel". I then dug out the three squirrels out of my game pouch and it's the only time I remember him at a loss for words!!!!LOL He always bragged up my shooting to anybody who'd listen. He and I were together several times when he witnessed me shoot deer on a dead run and they just flopped. Sorry for rambling on.
Bob

Reactions: dgwatson45

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shoot Bob,if it wasnt for rambling,Id have nothing to say ;) I enjoy old stories,about as much as old guns.The two go hand in hand.When I see a gun in our family,I can remember a story about it.Most of em anyway.When I think of Dad Shooting its mostly handguns.Ive seen him shoot the heads off rabbits and quail with his pet little S&W 32 or his 32-20.Never seen him set down and target practice..Hes left handed and it always looked strange to me watching him work the bolt of a rifle and remember him shooting three deer with three shots from his browning A5 on a deer drive.I was maybe 10 and was standing behind him.He was a big bird hunter when he was a boy,and I guess thats where he got his training.Now he just fishies for big cats.But hes very good at it.See Bob I ramble too ;)
Randy,,,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts