Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:biggrin: It's over, I'm done, thank goodness, my back is sore and the Ol'Coot is tired! :biggrin:

However, something over a 5 gallon bucket and a half, full of WW clips and skimmings' must mean something, like maybe that is why I now have this nice pile of shinny and semi-uniform ingots stacked in a corner.

Took me 5 sessions and a couple of tanks of propane, but I now have my stash of WW all smelted.

Some of this stash was years old, so no problem with bad and polluting WW in that bunch, but frankly the newer WW were a pain!

Thought I was done when I shut down Thursday afternoon, but then while getting things in order, found a container of WW that I had used in the back of my pickup for winter traction so decided to finish up that batch this morning and also smelt my small stash of linotype and get it poured into ingots.

Oldest son bought me a turkey fryer about CHRISTmas time and I found a bigger pot at Wally World for the smelting so this all went to speed the process up. I was able to smelt about 50lbs (+/-) of alloy in each batch, so with the new ingot molds I recently built I had way more then enough ingot capacity available.

A bigger pot, say something in the order of 100lbs of alloy would have notched up the production to the better level, but got er done.

Have plenty lead/tin/antimony alloy for my needs, but need some pure lead to make my 50/50 - WW/lead alloy for the 45/70.

Oldest son will benefit from this also, while I'm still casting and after I'm gone, so this will allow us to shoot a number of handgun and rifle calibers as long as we can come up with brass, powder and primers.

Most of my molds are the gas check type - except for one.44 mold, the .38/357 molds, and the .40 and .45acp molds -, so need to make sure I have a good stash of gas checks set back also.

So, now I can get the shop mess cleaned up and things put away.

Also bought a cheap set of metal stamps from Harbor Freight and figure that if I do my part, it should cut down on the hunks of "mystery" metal from those times I have tried other alloys. Think I'll have a big casting session for the handguns with the mystery metal as WW do me just fine except for the 45/70.

The mystery metal is alloys with WW & linotype or 50/50 solder or ?? added in various amounts, so will shoot great in the handguns.

Glad I'm done and the only thing to cloud the picture is the possibility that there may be some new WW lurking in a daughter's storage that has yet to come home. Most likely from the youngest son who manages a shop for one of the BIG independent tire companies in Califunnyia. This stuff will be some from just before the change over to the non-lead alloy in Califunnyia, and will again be a pain to deal with, especially since I'll just be passing it on.

Anyway, glad it is done! Been years since I last smelted down WW, and still have a couple hundred lbs of that batch that needs to be shot up! YES!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Hey Coot , glad you got it all done. I have just the opposite problem, all I can get is pure lead, 100lbs so far and 500lbs coming down in July. No WW's to be had. The search continues.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Morn'in Myflatline,

I put out a "want" on the local internet classifieds, and had only one call.

Apparently the fellow must be in construction and he has some lead which came off sheet rock in some kind of medical location.

Don't get into Moscow, Ideeeeho that often unless I can combine reasons to make the run - keeps the gas bill low - but have the fellows phone number and maybe I can get a bit of soft lead.

If not, back to Rotometals for another order.

CDOC

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey crusty,

What does WW and CDOC stand for?

Just pulling your chain. It is time to cast away! I bet you have been looking forward to converting those into ingots for a long time!

Happy casting,

David

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Djones, I had that coming!!!!!! :congrats:

Got everything, all the Wheel Weights :biggrin: (WW) and lino:biggrin:(linotype) stacked in the corner yesterday, AND!!! properly marked.

Rec'd word from Tom at Accurate Molds last evening that I have two new molds on the way, so I need to get things cleaned up and ready for a casting session.

Think my casting partner has a couple weeks off, so one or two casting sessions of 2 - 3 hours each will make some thousands of bullets.

The two new 4 cavity molds, along with a couple new 6 cavity Lee molds teamed with some other 4 - 6 cavity molds and we will be converting lots of ingots to Boolits:biggrin:(bullets) in short order.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot:biggrin:(CDOC) as in "THE" one and only, Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I have run some casting tests with some of the Wheel Weight (WW) (2 lots) that were in question as to contamination and everything looks good to go.

Yesterday I ran the second lot, and running two new molds, cast up some good boolits.

The Lee mold, a 6 cavity - .38/.357 mold did well after I got the temp of the mold up, and the new .444 - 275gr mold from Accurate Molds did equally well, again after I got the mold temp up where it should be.

The .444 bullet looks like it should do well, and I also plan to try that boolit in my .44 RedHawk and maybe faze out the 310gr LBT boolit.

Should equal or better the 1300fps I now get from the 310gr and providing it stabilizes it should be a good game boolit if such a situation happens to present itself.

So yes, all those WW clips and the skimmings really did mean something, as I now have LOTS of cleaned WW ingots ready for casting!

Couple more molds to get running, a second 6 cavity Lee .38/.357 mold and a second Accurate Mold, this time in a .30cal - 170gr flat nose which will be a fall back, push comes to shove bullet for several .30 caliber rifles.

Got the .444 bullets gas checked and sized/lubed today. sizing at .431.

Maybe I'll load some .44mag tomorrow. Need to wait for the son to be settled or some local friends to step up before I can get that bullet tested in a .444.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.