Marlin Firearms Forum banner

11621 - 11640 of 11736 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Good morning. All good. Been reading a book on the Navy in the days of Nelson. One story is a sailor telling about a keg of butter. All good, but small hairs in the butter. They tried to fish them out, but too many so they gave up and ate with the hairs. As they went down the keg, the hairs got more, and more. Until they found a mouse at the bottom, without any hair. Must have fallen in when the butter was liquid and drowned. Well, better than the attempt to bake rats in a pie with the pork. That diddnt end well.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
Hmmm...more than a few jokes in that one! Hopefully none like robs "crab" parties!😱😁😁😁
This was not meant as a joke. That is how they dressed Lamb. The water would separate skin from meat. They say on sheep if you get wool against meat it ruins it or makes it taste bad or something.
I wouldn’t know because you won’t catch me eating sheep or goat. Closet I came was Antelope I shot in NM. Terrible tasting critter, yuk. hold the sage. Those that raise sheep around these parts are kinda like guys who rent pigs. All them sheep farmers wear them rubber knee boots. I always keep them boys in front of me where I can see them. My grand niece
8D6761F9-888F-47CF-AB93-F2E9D0E404C8.jpeg
8D6761F9-888F-47CF-AB93-F2E9D0E404C8.jpeg
is raising fancy goats and wins all kinds of ribbons. Trying to get her to switch to hawgs, nature’s perfect food. Try get’n bacon off a snotty nose goat or sheep.

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
It must be time for Crab Story 3. On to 1972, we were living near the Wissahikon Creek, scene of the Battle of Germantown, 4 October 1777. The Redcoats handed the Colonials a serious defeat, and Washington's army retreated with massive casualties to Winter and train at Valley Forge. His Generals Greene and Mad Anthony Wayne have streets so named in the neighborhood. We lived on Wayne Avenue. My oldest daughter was conceived on Greene St, in our second floor apartment, born in South Dakota after the Big Move.

Somebody told us there was a trash can party a few blocks away, so we piled in the VW Bug and zipped over there. Walked in the living room, it was a typical Germantown party. There were people of every race, creed, color, and religion on Earth in one old Colonial mansion. Loud Rock n Roll. Dancing. Friendly conversation. In the middle of the living room was a new trash can, full of Everclear, Hawaiian Punch, Galliano, and lots of floating fruit. Jungle juice. We grabbed some cups, filled up, and went to find a seat. There was four of us. Found a corner with a couple chairs and a vacant spot on a couch. Sipping the Juice, catching a pretty good buzz. Looked over at the arm of the couch, and a crab was walking across it. I tapped Mrs R's arm, pointed it out to her, she and I knew the drill. Faster than instantly we grabbed the crew and ran out of there laughing. Got away clean, no pickups. And I've never been troubled by those saber-toothed crotch critters again. The trilogy ends.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I doubt not many of us would care to eat any food prepared in the 18th or 19th century.
Ketchup was invented originally to kill the taste of nasty meat. Wasn’t pretty back then, especially if you were aboard ship as @tranteruk has eluded to.

·
Registered
31,276 Posts
Evening................

Still cool here in ca'jun land............!

@Maineiac
This dog found her a forever home in your great state! She was a bait dog, a rod was passed thru her front legs so she couldn't run away! Plus they cut her ears off with scissors! poor dog!
This is when Susan transported her to Miss. to a rescue. they kept her long enough to help heal her, then she went to Maine where she was adopted!

Here she is on a beach for the first time in her life!

ca'jun56

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Evening................

Still cool here in ca'jun land............!

@Maineiac
This dog found her a forever home in your great state! She was a bait dog, a rod was passed thru her front legs so she couldn't run away! Plus they cut her ears off with scissors! poor dog!
This is when Susan transported her to Miss. to a rescue. they kept her long enough to help heal her, then she went to Maine where she was adopted!
View attachment 834825
Here she is on a beach for the first time in her life!
View attachment 834826

ca'jun56
That is great that Susan and yourself are helping these poor dogs. Dogs are better than people at loving and being loyal.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Wow - can't believe it's been.....maybe 3 weeks! Crazy few weeks around here - have spent my free time sun-tanning in our unseasonably warm weather!!!! HA!! Good thing the snowblowers are tuned and ready to roll.
Last 2 days we were 50+ but tonight and for the next 48 hours, it sounds like the wind will be blowing a gale - current warnings are 60-70(?) mph winds ..... prairie hurricane - with snow - a blizzard will surely be upon us...
Not enough room to update on everything - managed to get to MN for 5 days to see daughter, SIL and the grandkids. What a blessing! Trips to the pond for skating and hockey, built some sled runs in the backyard, set up a rock tumbler for the kids - had good food and fellowship.
School music schedules got shook up a bit so that threw the daily routine out of whack.
Spending a lot of time at Squirt hockey games and tournaments for our 10 yr old grandson - that's a ton of fun.
Granddaughter is keeping us on our toes. She will turn 1 y/o in 2 weeks - and has been with us 40 weeks as of this week. 2 hours of therapy every day - still not crawling but she's a determined little girl.
Undecided about accepting the virus shot......
Thankfully by God's grace we've managed to stay healthy.....hope you are all starting healthy as well!
Hoping that as the dust (or snow settles) I can have the time to keep up to date...
Kermit

·
Registered
8,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11,633 (Edited)
28 degrees in my swamp this morning, today's high suppose to reach 38., mite head back to the range. Just checked the forecast, now it's going to be cloudy all day, it was suppose to be sunny this afternoon.

·
Registered
7,754 Posts
25 on the coast. It is going to be cloudy, calm, and high of 35.

@cajun56 the dog looks so happy to be on a beach in Maine. Dogs love beaches! My dads goldens used to swim in the ocean every day. They would be a big happy mess of ice when the temps dropped lower than 0 F. That picture looks to be in southern Maine someplace judging by the sand. I am guessing in the Kennebunk area. A dogs life for me.

Kermit, good to hear from you and keep that sunscreen on.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
28*>53* and sunny
@Timrekah1
wavey[1].gif

@cajun56 I hope the people who hurt that dog are in jail at the least. I'd be happy to drive a piece of rebar through their legs so they can't run.

Good morning gents.
JC_coffee.gif

·
Registered
31,276 Posts
@rob42049
Jungle juice.
That craze went on down here in south Louisiana. We got the largest cooler with a spiget we could fine! City Park in New Iberia where we had the cooler set up behind a truck, no crabs involved! Late 70's and that cooler didn't last long.........!

ca'jun56

·
Super Moderator
15,617 Posts
24°Feels Like 24*
7:26 am
4:40 pm
High / Low
37°/33°
Wind NE...although how can you tell if it's 0 MPH?
0 mph
Humidity
88%
Dew Point
21°
Pressure
29.61 in Falling
looks like some rain/sleet possible tonight into tomorrow and then maybe 1"-3" snow ...fun! took down most of the Christmas decorations outside yesterday, left the white lights on the fence and blue lights around the front door and windows.

·
Registered
31,276 Posts
morning..................

34° on the south coast
60's for the high.
99% humidity
BP at 30.01" ↓
breeze from the East at 3 mph
big swings in temp, this time of the year! Sugarcane grinding still going on! Huge crop of cane this season, one good freeze and it's done! Freeze will kill sugarcane!
@Krusty
People was never caught, she was found limping on the streets, picked up and brought to IPAC.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Ketchup was invented originally to kill the taste of nasty meat. Wasn’t pretty back then, especially if you were aboard ship as @tranteruk has eluded to.
The whole early spice trade was based on that as was the use of wine in cooking by the French. Some of the atomic reactor peppers eaten by other members got popular for that purpose. Sausages are also a throwback to the times when it was hard to keep meat. My father lived through the depression and said that neighbors got together when butchering to enjoy fresh meat and share as it was hard to keep back then. Canning vegetables is becoming a lost art and they used to can a lot of venison. Lutefisk is gradually losing popularity around here. It was cod kept in lye that would keep aboard ship. Got a Norwegian mad at me once. He was trying to give me a hard time and I told him the loudest thing in the world was a Norwegian and a sea gull fighting on the beach over apiece of rotten fish. He had it coming. Actually in Norway they do not eat lutefisk. It became popular in American settlements.
Sneauxing outside and we are supposed to get up to 6" Will be working on the tractor today, need an oil change.

DEP

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
@cajun56 This is Ala. She passed away a few months ago. Her ears were trimmed with scissors. My buddy's stepson offered the guys $100 for her when she was 7 mths old. She had it made from then on.

93281452_3024457510937953_5080902279163281408_n.jpg

11621 - 11640 of 11736 Posts