Marlin Firearms Forum banner

6681 - 6700 of 7020 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
63 degrees with 83% humidity in CT at 0600 under gray skies..............
T showers predicted for to today..........Gee, I could have guessed all that!..............

Tuesday is RSO day at the Range...........maybe the weather will keep the youngsters home and dry, while reading their AR maintenance manuals?............NAH!...........

You all have a Terrific Tuesday............

Tom

·
Registered
845 Posts
Tuesday and the last day of June. Clear, dry and kinda fuzzy. Bad night. Hey, half of 2020 gone then. Whatever your opinions on Covid 19, politics and world events, it's been quite a ride.
AND FROM HERE ON THE DAYS BEGIN GETTING SHORTER and that nasty Sun starts migrating back south for the Winter. Hallelujah! I may be in the minority opinion, but I absolutely hate the hot, humid weather of Summertime. For aeons, the pagans gathered on the December 21 solstice to rejoice at the Suns return...but I celebrate June 21st instead. I can't wait for that first morning when there is a noticeable Fall chill in the air, and maybe one or two colorul leaves signalling the rapidly approaching change of seasons. BTW it's hot and muggy both outside and inside as I write this. My AC can only do so much.

·
Registered
19,497 Posts
83/muggy movin' up to ONLY 87 today! -69.55, I also can't wait for the cooler weather, but we only get a couple weeks a year of it, something I hope to change when retirement comes!

·
Registered
28,777 Posts
morning.........................

80° and 100% humidity >90°, BP 29.97^, moon phase waxing gibbous. 10% chance of a passing shower.

Seven months into the year! The fireworks stands are setup and ready!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
845 Posts
83/muggy movin' up to ONLY 87 today! -69.55, I also can't wait for the cooler weather, but we only get a couple weeks a year of it, something I hope to change when retirement comes!
A friend of the family packed up and moved to the Ely, MN area after they retired. That was a good 25 years ago, and I've often wondered why retirees would move to the Minnesota-Canada border. Duuhh! Now I know. They probably didn't like the heat either.

·
Registered
28,777 Posts
NP,
No compression test, but it had a valve job less than 500 miles ago................I have thought about checking the valve clearances, though............
Also, the Vacuum advance is on the list for a functional check, too.....................

Thanks, you confirm my thinking direction...............

Tom
Did you take a picture of old plugs and what color was the plugs you pulled? Plugs tell a lot about a engine! This is a carburetor engine correct?

ca'jun56

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
A friend of the family packed up and moved to the Ely, MN area after they retired. That was a good 25 years ago, and I've often wondered why retirees would move to the Minnesota-Canada border. Duuhh! Now I know. They probably didn't like the heat either.
That is some interesting country. May get some fierce weather due to the Lake effect of Superior. Usually the retirees stay in those areas in the summer season and leave in the winter to more temperate climates. As they say "Ain't all dumb"

DEP

·
Registered
28,777 Posts
I was suppose to post this in my weather report and forgot........!

This 1972 Bronco Rufus had a hand in building, only mechanical stuff, not body work or painting! Motor is a 351W turned in a 427 small block connected to a five speed manual. As I told my brother to much motor for this Bronco! The owner spent $$$$ on this thing! I drove it yesterday and it's scary fast for a short wheelbase sitting up high Bronco! When the owner brings his Ford Cobra kit car over more pictures will be displayed!

20200629_123803.jpg , 20200629_123543_LI.jpg , 20200629_123728.jpg , 20200629_123739.jpg , 20200629_123520.jpg , 20200629_132610.jpg .

ca'jun56

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's been a day or two - I forget - so I thought I'd check in...

It was cloudy, overcast and humid at 75 at 7:00 a.m. After 2 straight days of hot miserable weather in the mid-upper 90's, this morning on the north plains we have been dealing with violent thunderstorms, crazy lightning, hail, wind - straight line at a reported 70 mph. Rain came down so hard and fast that sump pumps started to kick in within minutes after it started to rain - gutters ran over. It is rather crazy since it's been so dry and hot - now humid and hot. Oh well - it is ND - wait a minute and the weather will change.

With the heat we've been staying indoors as much as possible. About the only time outdoors was in a continued effort to keep our garden and plants from withering away. Did some repair to lawn mower - carb rebuild - so much fun!!!!! (sarcasm intended and not enough of it)

Going anyplace for groceries or supplies is like dealing with the Mongol Hordes (more sarcasm) - seeing obviously sick people walking around without masks ..... two good friends of mine now have the Covid and are in quarantine!

Rest of the week looks very busy - playing and singing for another funeral tomorrow.....

Stay healthy folks!

·
Registered
845 Posts
That is some interesting country. May get some fierce weather due to the Lake effect of Superior. Usually the retirees stay in those areas in the summer season and leave in the winter to more temperate climates. As they say "Ain't all dumb"
No, they stayed there year around, became part of the community. One passed away, however the spouse continues to stay there. I might head up that way myself once I am no longer taking care of elderly parents. I can definitely take the cold. I thrive on it. The heat and humidity here...OTOH... makes me physically ill every year.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
No, they stayed there year around, became part of the community. One passed away, however the spouse continues to stay there. I might head up that way myself once I am no longer taking care of elderly parents. I can definitely take the cold. I thrive on it. The heat and humidity here...OTOH... makes me physically ill every year.
Yeah some folks do manage to winter in MN.

DEP

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
My buddy bought a new Bronc 1st year they were out. Just brought it up in a Moose story. Any way his was small v8 ...289ci? he made brackets for under hood and had extra starters, water pumps, ect for emergencies in back country. I think was one if not the best 4W made. When we went on Canadian hunts in 1K + mile trips you could pour out your kidneys, but once you got there, there was nothing better.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
1400 hours in the beautiful Black Hills. It's 68, cool and cloudy with light intermittent showers. I went food shopping, hauled water, shot targets, and now it's reloading and clean weapon time. Over on YouTube there's a lot of buzz about the couple in St Louis who drew guns on 'peaceful protesters'. I checked on that for about an hour, there's a lot of stories to investigate. With a lot of twists and turns.

I hope you're all having a great day. Keep your powder dry.

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
Did you take a picture of old plugs and what color was the plugs you pulled? Plugs tell a lot about a engine! This is a carburetor engine correct?

ca'jun56
Cajun,
Yes, it's a carbureted engine ........... 2 SU side drafts...........simple carbs, but I haven't played with SU's since the mid 60's.......

I have the old plugs, and I'll take a picture tomorrow...........I recall all 4 were sooty black, not oily, or wet............ She has No idea how old, or how many miles on them..........They are supposed to be cleaned or changed every 5000 miles on this vintage car, according to the manual...........

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
28,777 Posts
Cajun,
Yes, it's a carbureted engine ........... 2 SU side drafts...........simple carbs, but I haven't played with SU's since the mid 60's.......

I have the plugs, and I'll take a picture tomorrow...........I recall all 4 were sooty black, not oily, or wet............ She has No idea how old they are............

Thanks,

Tom
Sooty black! Means rich! That alone will make engine run ruff! Plugs should be a light brown! Not sooty or all white! Time to go thru those side draft carb's! I promise you it is the problem with car.

chart!

ca'jun56

6681 - 6700 of 7020 Posts