Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watch some of these "collector" guns strictly for entertainment. I was wondering how much this rifle would sell for. If the winning bidder is a member on this forum, congrats to you. That's a lot of money to spend on a safe queen! But to be honest, I don't know what these "collector" guns are worth.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Marlin made a limited run of these "squirrel" rifles back in the early 60's ('62 maybe?). I've never seen one personally, but they do fill a small niche for the serious Model 39 collector; and with an example in that condition I'm not surprised at the price. For me personally, stainless and chromed guns have no appeal; and that silly squirrel carving or medallion (?) ruined an otherwise beautiful piece of walnut.

·
Premium Member
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marlin made a limited run of these "squirrel" rifles back in the early 60's ('62 maybe?). I've never seen one personally, but they do fill a small niche for the serious Model 39 collector; and with an example in that condition I'm not surprised at the price. For me personally, stainless and chromed guns have no appeal; and that silly squirrel carving or medallion (?) ruined an otherwise beautiful piece of walnut.
I believe the squirrel on this stock is carved. The "cookie insert" carvings were a perfect round shape from the pics I've seen. But still, not my type of rifle or price range.

Reactions: Golphin and Da Duke

·
Premium Member
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This rifle sold for around $1,200 more than a Marlin 338 MXLR did earlier this year... that's insane!

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I wish I still had my old LC Smith. It had the whole nine yards, selective ejectors, engraving on the locks, action trigger guard. Some real high grade Walnut. A beautiful classic gun.
It was no safe queen. I took it hunting a lot. Birds, rabbits behind Beagles and skeet shooting.
Sold it to pay some medical bills a LONG time ago.😥

I do not buy for investments. I buy what I like and can afford. Like everyone else if I could I would.

Reactions: ballistics04
1 - 20 of 26 Posts