Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Great looking rifle you must have a smile from ear to ear.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Great rifle, and highly sought after. What loads are you shooting through it? Factory sounds a bit anemic according to Ranch Dog. My handloads can fairly easily beat what he had recorded for velocity.

What scope/mounts do you have there?

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have a load as yet.

The gentleman through in a new set of Lee dies and 100ea. 356 brass. I went to the gun shop yesterday and bought a lb. of H-335 and have ordered 200gr. Remington bullets from MidSouth Shooting Supplies.
When they get here I'll start.

Thanks for the complaments, I do think I got an outstanding deal.

djh

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
What is the scope, mount and ring set up? The scope appears to fall into the "overkill" catagory but if it works for you I'm tickled pink.

I know you traded but don't know how much boot was involved, if any. But it appears you got a fantastic deal. Would you say it is 92% or better?
It looks really good in the pic.

All I have shot through mine is factory loads and they do seem a little on the light side.

SS

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even trade.

According to the gentleman I traded with it has had 10 rounds fired through it.

I would say at least 92% or better.

By the way, sorry for that big o scope, but at 68 years old I need all the help I can get.

Thanks, djh

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I'm sure you traded a nice rifle but you did extremely well. Do you plan to hunt with it? Tell us about the scope and rings.

SS

G

·
I've had one and used it as my go-to hunting rifle for 20 years, I've used nothing but factory 200gr loads in that entire time.

Not a single animal has got up and walked off yet.

So there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hope you enjoy it. Been playing with my 356 that I made from a 444 marlin. I reform 444 brass(didn't cut the extractor cut in the bbl just right and won't eject 356 brass) which works fine. My gun likes the 200 rem. real well, but the 220 speer the best---will use that one on elk. Save the 200 rem for my 35Rem. Loading now, some 180 speers for whitetail hunting in OK. Using AA2015br and getting 2700fps out of my rifle with 1.5" groups at 100yds. Sight in 3" high at that range, still 1" high at 220 yds, and about 8" low at 330 yds(our gongs are at 200 & 300 meters) :D

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boy those long range numbers are impressive. That's why I wanted a 336ER so bad. I just do not understand why the 356 caliber did not go over better then it did.

It is so much better then the 30-30 and 35 Mag., it isn't even funny.

Thanks, djh

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Lee dies are the way to go, and don't forget about the factory crimp die. you will need it with the Rem. bullets. The cannelure is set in the wrong place for a 356. With that powder, you stand to do 2500fps at its max loading. (Hodgdon). The velocity will go way over what they estimated. In talking to factory rep, the data is old and was very much UNDER the 50,000 pressure the guns were rated too. My gun handles this load like its an everyday affair. Very impressive light display as well. :lol:

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dr.A:

I just ordered the Lee Crimp Die you suggested from Midway Shooting Supplies.

I am just wondering, if the Remington bullets cannelure is in the wrong location, what good does it do to crimp?

What bullet do you use in your loading the 356?

Thanks, djh

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I'd say you did great!

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I use the Lee Crimp die because the cannelure is in the wrong place. Just set the COAL you want, and crimp. It does NOT need the cannelure. I use REmington because of overall performance, and of course price. 8)

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Dr. A:

I 'll do that.

My bullets are scheduled for delivery today. If weather permits I will be at the range Monday morning.

I will let everyone know how it does.

djh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts