Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't need another rifle. I have a very nice 30AW with a high-dollar scope and a carefully refinished stock that is really accurate. I have a pretty little Remington Model Seven in .243 that my nephew killed his first deer with last fall. I have a knock-around Model 60 that goes bang most of the time when you pull the trigger. I didn't need another rifle.

Stopped in at Sports Authority last night looking for a close-out fly rod. Fondled a brand new 336C for a while. $380 and they want to have your driver's license before they let you touch it. Pretty walnut, crisp checkering, who knows what the trigger feels like; the lever is double-wrapped in a cable lock

Bored at lunch so I went pawnshopping today. Nice enough older 336C with a throw-away scope at the first one. Fair price, heavy trigger. Clean 30AW with another throw-away scope at the second. He cut the lock off so I could cyle the lever but didn't want it dry-fired. Nothing at the next two. Then. . .

336CS, .30-30, 14 years old, no scope, clunky screws filling the holes where the mount clearly used to be, gorgeous piece of walnut with rosewood-like figure, honest scars on the fore-end and pistol grip. Pristine bluing on the barrel and magazine tube, a few pits in the reciever. Clean bore, crisp rifling, well-oiled bolt, a little heavy on the trigger.

$189.99. I'll think about it. 20% off for Father's Day. That's what, $152? Darn what do I tell my wife? I need to figure that one out so that I can bring it in from the garage.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I would have brough it home :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Tell her you were doing what she does, you were shopping and found a bargain to good to pass up. Then tell her how much it will be worth once you get it cleaned and back in Marlin shape.
If that don't work and she says you don't need all them guns, tell her she don't need all them shoes or what ever she likes to buy.
If all else fails...get use to sleeping in the garage with your guns :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Honest honey! It was just laying in the front yard, I have no idea where it came from. If no one stops back for it, I'll figure it is mine. :wink:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I found an old M1 bayonet in a closet of a place we rented when first married. I kept it for years. Then I found an M1 for cheap and bought it.

My excuse was that the bayonet was lonely and needed company, the M1. I don't think she bought it, but she didn't say anything :D

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Right when I am thinking of getting a new 1894 SS in .44 my girlfriend gave me an attitude last night :-s

She is like "honey, promise you are not planning to buy another gun. Swear on our relationship".
Well, I said sure, but now I am thinking where to hide the gun and whether I should tell her I had this gone for a few months now, but was scared to show it to her :( Dem it!!!

You are as much screwed, dude as I am.

Cant live without them.... Gunz I mean :twisted:

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Mad,

When your significant other doesn't share your affinity for guns, this should not slow your purchasing habits. You buy them, allow them to blend in with the rest of the family and in a few months or years they will just become part of the landscape.

Do you ever tell her? Sure, when asked you say "...Oh, I bought this one years ago, cheap. It's worth at least a million dollars now..."

SS

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Sidespin said:
Do you ever tell her? Sure, when asked you say "...Oh, I bought this one years ago, cheap. It's worth at least a million dollars now..."

SS
Hey SS,

This is exactly one of the things I do :twisted:
I bought Taurus 357 2" bbl revolver over a month ago and I told her someone from this forum let me try it out and if I like it he will let me have it for 80 bucks. I told her the resale value is about 250 if (big IF) I ever want to sell it. She is happy :D

It is so cool to have a partner who has no idea about guns. I have all sorts of different ammo calibers lying around and all she knows I have only 2 rifles, and I have 4 already. LMAO

I am glad women are what they are some times. Can u imagine having a wife who knows all about guns, but does not want to do anything with them. Geeeee!!!!

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My wife just found out about a 336 I put on layaway...she just kind-a stared at me for a while...
I reminded her that she said "Probubly should have bought it." when I told her I had looked at it and if was an OK price. So I called and put it on layaway.
What could I do???? She told me I couldn't sell the Model 1936 'cause it was so nice.

Had to get this one.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I work on my reloading and rifle repairing in my garage. Put the rifle in the garage. Take a hard case out to work on the rifle then bring it back in. Now this only works when you have enough rifles that one more won't look out of place.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I told her tonight. Went fine. It helps that she just bought a horse. . .

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And I went out to shoot the new rifle this evening. Great fun and instructive, too. I did better on iron sights than I expected - I'd given up last year and put a scope on the .22.

I did learn that you have to tap very carefully on the sights to adjust the aim point. Then tap harder 'cause it didn't make any differnce. Then tap back the other direction because you overshot by twice. :cry:

Eventually got it on the 4 inch Shoot-n-See sticky at 50 yards. Rifle is ok, now I need to work on me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I always thought Marlin's iron sights were pretty good, but I like the newer folding semi-buckhorn style a lot better then the older ones - I can see them a lot better.

Enjoy your new rifle.

Mark

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
ZW, I know what you mean...I gotta work on me as well. Shoot...shoot...shoot...
I think my Model 1936 is only limited by the guy pulling the trigger.
So I guess I'll have to go to the range when I get back from this trip. Oh, well...I could be mowing the grass...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts