Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
NIB, stock photo, pretty safe to assume it is a recent manufacture by Remington.
The 357's are commanding a premium price, $200-$400 more than other calibers. The seller is trying to cash in on the demand for them.

This is the part I don't get.
"
Inspection Period / Return Policy AS IS - No refund or exchange
Item Condition Factory New "

If I were paying top dollar (and more) for a NIB gun, I'd expect the seller to stand behind it, rather than point me to the manufacturer if there is trouble.

Reactions: COYOTE222

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
With those T&Cs, it's gotta be a Remlin and the seller knows perfectly well that there's one or more issues with the gun. If it had a JM stamp, they'd say, that's gotten to be more well-known now as a sign of a genuine Marlin. Probably would be asking several hundred more if that were the case. I'd steer clear of this one if I were in the market.

Stan S.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Current bid is right up near $1k & that's the part I don't get.. Several of the nicer, pre-safety 357's have sold in the past few months for less than this.. Don't know why someone would pay $1k for a .357 Remlin..

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
It's funny, only recently did I start getting interested in a .357 Marlin 1894, just as a plinker more than anything. Something fun to shoot... Now the prices are Way High...

Sigh...

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Current bid is right up near $1k & that's the part I don't get.. Several of the nicer, pre-safety 357's have sold in the past few months for less than this.. Don't know why someone would pay $1k for a .357 Remlin..
Because "shill bidding" does happen would be my guess.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
The reason that manufacturers like Remlin keep on making and selling such low quality guns is because people buy them. I say treat them just like the profiteers selling a brick of 22lr for $100. Ignore them and they will have to change their ways.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
I thought it may be a NY gun, but the photo was a file photo.............

Apparently, 1894/357's are a hot item, and I expect they will continue to stay hot.........JM models, that is..........

Tom

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
bidder is probably unaware of problems with Remlins

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I don't understand why .357's command a premium. .44 mags are better for hunting as well as significantly lighter.
You don't understand because you haven't shot one, I was the same way once. :) Few guns are as fun and pleasurable to shoot as a 357 magnum lever action.
Also a 44 mag 1894 is certainly NOT lighter than the .357 carbine, it's the other way around.
You're right though the 44 mag has an edge in terminal performance while hunting game deer sized and up, at everything else the .357 mag is equal or superior.

As far as price goes, I bought my New York made Marlin 1894C 357 mag factory new for $550....seems like a good deal now...thing is...I wouldn't sell it for a thousand dollars either...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok. Ill bite. What is "shill bidding"?
My understanding is its not a fake bid, per say, but one that is made on behalf of or in connection with the seller to increase the price/interest of the item.. Say you & I are friends & you auction a gun on Gunbroker.. I might bid on it a few times without ever having to worry about paying you for it if I win since you aren't really selling it to me, I'm just "helping" you get a higher price for it..

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I agree, I have a 1982 pre safety 1894c, and a 1894 cowboy in 44mag. I really prefer the 44mag. Even for plinking. I reload for both so price is a wash. I am sure the 357 is more popular especially if you don't hand load, but IMHO the 44 is the better gun.
JB

1 - 20 of 28 Posts