Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
79 years ago today, the notorious Albert Johnson (aka The Mad Trapper of Rat River) was shot and killed in a gun battle with RCMP officers and special constables after a manhunt that lasted 48 days.

To this day, it it still not known who he actually was.

Here's to you AJ. Whoever you are...

Mario
who will spend the rest of the day fondling his 1899 Savage in .30WCF and reading Dick North's book...

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Seen that movie with Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson, I liked it.

If you want to see another 1899 Savage to fondle see the Movie Joe Kidd with Clint Eastwood, Robert Duvall and John Saxon

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
swany said:
Seen that movie with Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson, I liked it.
Ah, yes, Death Hunt. love that one. The funny part is, the real story was even crazier than the movie.

swany said:
If you want to see another 1899 Savage to fondle see the Movie Joe Kidd with Clint Eastwood, Robert Duvall and John Saxon
DVD is on my shelf! ;D

Mario

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
I do lust after that gun every time I see that movie. 8)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
swany said:
I do lust after that gun every time I see that movie. 8)
And that's why when I saw it on the table next to mine at a gun show in November, I bought it. ;D

Redbear said:
I had no idea that movie was based on a real event. Now I want to watch it again.
Well, loosely based. There are some big differences. Notably Sgt Edgar Millen (played by Lee Marvin) was A. about 1/2 Lee Marvin's age and B. was shot dead during one of the gun battles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Johnson_(criminal)

The Discovery Channel did a special on him a couple years ago. They sent some forensic scientists to examine his remains (buried at Aklavik, NWT) and gather DNA to try and match it to folks who claimed they were related.

The only things they found out were he was from the US midwest, had fairly expensive and modern dental work that would have been expensive and done only in larger cities at the time and he had only been in Canada for around 7 months.

Mario

1 - 6 of 6 Posts