Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
393 Posts
The special smokeless steel marking on the barrel was standard at the time not an extra. That was Marlin's logo they put on the barrels exceptfor the black powder only barrels which was a milder steel & considered a Grade B gun. The takedown feature is a special order feature.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the black powder cals 32-40 and 38-55 the smokeless steel barrel was a $2 option to upgrade to an "A". My 32-40 in this same serial range is marked Black powder and is a B. The Smokeless steel was standard on all the new smokeless cartridges

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
A 1700 hammer drop is a mystery to me as well. That gun looks pretty typical to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The guys on the forum told me you were the the one to have check out my rifle and see what you think. I posted pics under baby carbine. Trying to see if its been cut down or came from factory that way. Thanks for any help you can give me

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Having a Smokeless Steel Barell that was ordered at the premium of $2.00 is a plus. Most buying back at this time paid this amount extra for an Octagon barell, but few would shell out for the tougher steel barell

MARLIN MODEL 1893 LEVER ACTION RIFLE-TAKEDOWN : Curios & Relics at GunBroker.com
I know where there is one almost just like that one, except in 25-20 (1894). I've been salivating over it for a month now. I go in, ask to see it, he hands it to me and laughs ... "when are you going to let me make you a deal on that rifle?" he says.

My willpower cannot be expected to last much longer.

That whole series, the whole production era - they are just spectacular IMHO.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
They used to be about $500.00 in 2010 but they're sure going up fast. None being made anymore I guess ?
Net auctions have done a great deal to drive prices up on older guns. A new born fool with too much money in his pocket, will drive the prices up way over any "normal" value. Net auctions have certainly changed the game.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
From what I've seen in the in the few months I've been paying attention to 93 prices, they do seem to be going up. Savage 99's have gone up as well, at least the 358's have. Net auctions have influenced the prices of performance horses too. You can just about name it it's had an effect. It reaches a lot of new born fools.

·
Registered
769 Posts
From what I've seen in the in the few months I've been paying attention to 93 prices, they do seem to be going up. Savage 99's have gone up as well, at least the 358's have. Net auctions have influenced the prices of performance horses too. You can just about name it it's had an effect. It reaches a lot of new born fools.
I remember when Shotgun News had the same effect on some prices (Win. 52 Sporters come to mind). After a couple months at what seemed outrageous prices, those prices became the accepted norm. All I can say is that is a beautiful rifle in a configuration and caliber that interests me. Congratulations on buying the rifle you wanted and having enough disposable income to make it happen...no harm or shame in that!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.