Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know, I haven't had one since I was in the corps...and they weren't issued all the time, just for some long distance shooting in the desert. This would be 1980'ish, not sure which way I want to go, they have THREE different versions basically these days: Standard 22", Scout 18" or SOCOM 16".
No particular reason....just kinda want one! I've done some looking around and this is kinda what I found on the internet out there:
M1A Std: shoot out to 1000 yds accurately
M1A Scout: shoot to to 600yds accurately
M1A SOCOM: shoot out to 300yds accurately
Anyone own one and have any opinions on the new models? I don't think I need "match grade" but I'd like a nice shooting rifle...anyone have opinions on which model is the most versatile?
Just fishing for some info..I know how the old M14 acted, just not sure about any of these newer models. The synthetic stocks certainly lighten things up a bit!
Thoughts? Suggestions? Springfield armory? or some other maker?
Thanks in advance!
mazer

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Go SA all the way. Beautiful gun. I have a NM and love it. Awesome trigger. It's 3/4 MOA for 20 rounds rapid fire. That's 1 round every second for to seconds. It's a monster on the range. I went with the ARMS base and arms mount on top then my own rings. You won't be disappointed with any of them. They all shoot out to 600 with no problem. If you plan to shoot inside your house consider the carbines. If not then go rifle all the way. I wish I could get the forward scope mount on the rifle. Nothing's wrong with walnut. It suites the rifle.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike have you ever tried any of the 'stock sets' like the EPR or Juggernaut Bullpup configuration? I saw some really interesting mods out there! NM sounds like it might be a good compromise....just curious about the shorter versions...I got to handle a Standard and a SOCOM earlier to day...the M1A standard in black synthetic was actually lighter than the SOCOM...that was a surprise.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've also got a NM. It has a camo synthetic stock and for some reason the guy I got it from put the faux select fire lever on it. For the looks or nostalga I guess. Lately I have been considering selling it because I also have an Armalite AR10T and don't know that I need to big .308's. But then I pick it up and can't help but love the way it feels in my hands. It is definately a shooter. No problem holding the X ring at 600 when I do my part but then again I can say the same thing for the AR10. I guess it come down to what you are looking for. I have never had a SOCOM in my hands but I think they are very cool. Good luck with your with whatever you decide.

Reactions: buckweet and mazer

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
Hey Mazer,

If you have the loot, wait until a "Super Match" goes on "sale".

All the goodies, and a whole lot of rifle.....for the money. (and you save a pile, compared to what it would take to "upgrade" a "base" model)

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I don't have any use for one either, but I've ALWAYS wanted the Springfield Armory Carlos Hathcock model. Those things are absolutely awesome! I've looked as several at the local Scheel's, but the wood just didn't measure up.

Reactions: mazer and buckweet

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark, I'm still in the "which one do I want" phase, then comes the "how am I going to pay for it" phase....gotta decide if I want to sell a few things OR sell a rifle or two...or possibly trade...so....just have to see. Not sure I'm going to need everything a Super Match has.....not even sure about the National Match.....yet. Something to consider though.

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
Mark, I'm still in the "which one do I want" phase, then comes the "how am I going to pay for it" phase....gotta decide if I want to sell a few things OR sell a rifle or two...or possibly trade...so....just have to see. Not sure I'm going to need everything a Super Match has.....not even sure about the National Match.....yet. Something to consider though.
Hey Mazer,

"Need"? LOL

See if you can get to a Service Rifle Match. Sure to be a couple of competitors with the "Super Match" model. (the only time I "X'ed" out in Rapid Fire Prone, was with a borrowed Super Match) LOL

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
Enabling 101

Hmmm....so...you trying out for an "M1A Enablers badge"? Your killing me! Cuz now I'm looking at them and I hadn't even considered going there!!
Hey Mazer,

If I were still able to "assume" the positions (age and injuries, no longer permit), would have two Super Matches. One for "Slow Fire", and one for "Rapid Fire".:biggrin:

At ten grains less powder, they are a bit "lighter" on recoil than the Garand. And a bit less expensive to shoot.:flute:

And they are more accurate than most bolt rifles.:biggrin:

With the "half minute" NM sights, as long as you keep your loads to "Factory" levels, once the sight is "zeroed" for the 200 yard line, simply adjust the elevation to the line you are shooting. You will be with in two clicks of elevation.:biggrin: (depending on light. A sunny day requires another click or two of elevation, than does an overcast day)

45 grains of BLC II, and a "pulled" 147 gr FMJ, Lake City Brass, primer of choice. Satisfaction guaranteed!:ahhhhh: (welcome to the poor house):biggrin:

Later, Mark

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Mike have you ever tried any of the 'stock sets' like the EPR or Juggernaut Bullpup configuration? I saw some really interesting mods out there! NM sounds like it might be a good compromise....just curious about the shorter versions...I got to handle a Standard and a SOCOM earlier to day...the M1A standard in black synthetic was actually lighter than the SOCOM...that was a surprise.
No. I never cared for sticking a mag in my armpit. It also makes shooting lefty difficult and half the time I am shooting out of a blind or a vehicle and I am shooting lefty.

I got a synthetic stock from Fred's that I like a lot. You can buy a couple and mod them anyway you like.
http://www.fredsm14stocks.com

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
How far are you from Anniston Alabama?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well my thinking on the bullpup design was only because:
a) I've never owned or shot a bullpup! Although I do realize that I might hate it!
b) Losing almost a foot off the overall length kinda appealed to me.
MidBigWest: 325miles one way...so 4.5-5 hours maybe?
Mikewood, those stocks look pretty nice...I mean, dont' get me wrong I plan on getting this rifle and shooting it "as is" for a while...then seeing where I might want to go with it accessories wise. I'd like to do something with a "quick release " scope, so at the very least I need a rail!

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
I actually had a Scout on order, but when I queried SAI on a timeline estimate, they said they didn't know when they were going to get around to building them; following that, I went down to the LGS to get a Loaded Standard... but they had a Socom16 hanging on the wall. I came home with the Socom16... and glad I did. (This was 2006 or so, mind you.)

The M1a series rifles are a little different than most other rifles, they require more of the operator in terms of maintenance and such, but they are fine rifles to be sure. The limiting factor on the Socom16 is the sights, the big front sight post precludes accurate fire out past 250-300yds without some sort of modifications (there are some homebrewed mods, you can replace the entire gas lock assy, or someone by now might be making a finer front sight you can swap onto the Socom gas lock, ) whereas the Scout and Standard use a standard, fine front sight post. The rear peep is also bigger, I swapped mine for a standard size peep. The Socom series has a very good muzzle brake, it is very easy to shoot and shoot fast, but the brake makes the rifle pretty loud... you'll get a lot of dirty looks if you are firing it on a confined range.

As far as brands, the Springfield is good and comes with a lifetime warranty. Personally, I have never had problems with mine but others have and SAI will fix you up. If you have the cash and want something special, LRB makes a forged M14 receiver that you can build or have built, including an M25 receiver with built in optic rail. There are a few other builders around but if I was going to upgrade from SAI, I would go to LRB.

The Socom16 is a hoot to shoot, I love mine still... it's an incredible weapon. I still lust for either the Scout or even a Standard, though. OP, you'll have to determine what it is you want to do with it and that will lead you to the correct model. Also understand that .308/7.62mm ammo is a bit expensive, much of the cheap surplus of yesteryear is GONE... probably never to return. If you reload that will help, but the M14 action is vicious on brass and count on scrapping your cases after 3-5 firings.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Going to check out LRB...haven't heard of them before. I figured on a SAI, and all three versions look great! Decisions...decisions.

·
Premium Member
6,592 Posts
The CMP south store is in Anniston AL. Just saying.
Not going to be the prettiest girls out there but if you want to work on it anyway why not make a road trip and get a CMP rifle?

Reactions: msharley
1 - 20 of 51 Posts