Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about re-barreling my 336 -maybe.... About a year ago, I had some work done to it that included bobbing the magazine tube to half-length or "button" style. I like the look for the most part but I am left with an unsightly grove where the screw for the now deleted forward barrel band fit into.

On the other hand, the rifle performs exactly as I had hoped it would after having the work done, in that it is a more consistant grouper with a great reduction in tendency to vertically string shots. I should be content to leave well enough alone, at this point.

But another post on this board about octagon barrels got me thinking about how cool it would be to have an octagon barrel fitted to my 336. I'd actually like a little more barrel than I've got now, so I could increase the length at the same time -maybe up to 24"-26." I once owned a 94 Centenial with a 26" barrel and I really liked the look and handling of that rifle (the 94 action, not so much). I also liked the boost in velocity it had over my 20" barreled 336.

Has anyone on the board done a barel swap on a 336? Any idea where I could get an octagon 26" .308 1 turn in 10" barrel requiring only finish chambering for headspace purposes?

T-C

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Google Green Mountain. Maybe so, maybe no? Folks like Shilen and Douglas would be happy to do you a custom job. They are not cheap. Good luck, Jack

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am aware that custom barrels aren't cheap. I've used Douglas, Shilen, and Green Mountain barrels before. As far as I can tell, Douglas and Shilen don't do octagon and don't cut .30-30 chambers anymore. Green Mountain might be my best bet.

I guess what I really need to do is find a gunsmith willing to do the job. My local guy is NOT willing to do it. He says that re-barrelling a 336 is a PITA compared to a 98 Mauser and he doesn't want to do that work. He knows how good my rifle shoots now and he's very much a "don't mess with success" kind of personallity -which I think plays a role in his unwillingness to do a re-barrel on my rifle, too.

I would think with Cowboy Action Shooting being such a big deal, that there would be some custom levergun smith out there somewhere who has swapped a round 20" barrel off a 336 for a longer octagon unit. That's the guy or gal I need to contact first. I just don't know who that might be.

T-C

·
Premium Member
14,185 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
i just finished putting together a marlin 336 in 219 zipper that started out as a 30-30. I used a factory marlin barrel tho so the extractor slot and bolt clearance was already cut so all i had to do was screw it in. If starting from a barrel blank these would have to be milled into the barrel to fit the gun, while not a huge amount of work it would be much more so than just screwing a barrel in a mauser (building on of those right now too).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts