Marlin Firearms Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts
Discussion starter · #42 ·
There are some more choices available, but much more expensive and i think that it's not worthy, because i won't reload that many rounds. Here we don't have that many shooting ranges and we can't shoot (legaly) anywhere.

Those options are economical and for what i saw on youtube they work fine and there are many videos showing how people reload with these presses.

I have the Lee turret press, but I always make sure the turret lines up properly before using the station. I also ditched the powder measure in favor of a Redding. I went with the Redding die set for the 45-70 and use the LFCD. So many options, but the best and most important advice of all is to go slow and be very cautious with the load data credibility.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
security is the thing i value most! as i said before, i 've seen more than enough accidents with guns! to make my own accidents to happen is the last thing i want!
thank's for you concern

I got the Lee Breach Lock kit and have been happy with it. I think the priming setup on the anniversary kit is not as good. You didn't say what you will load but if straight wall then the carbide dies are well worth the price difference.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
yes, i want to reload straight walls (45-70) and eventualy the 9,3*62 but mainly the 45-70.

biri,

Be aware that you will not likely find "carbide" sizing dies for the 45/70.

What appears to be a straight wall case, in fact has too much body taper for a carbide die.

AVOID the Lee Factory Crimp Die which has the carbide ring in the dies mouth. This die can cause a great amount of problems especially if you are using cast bullets properly sized to your bore.

However, from what I read, the Lee collet style FCD is apparently a good product.

Yes, I have tried the Carbide style and wish I hadn't and my son has a collet style and he and many other like it.

Took me weeks to find out what my functioning problem was with a .45acp, only to find that it was the Lee carbide FCD causing the problem.

However, after saying that, in well over 95% of the 45/70 loading situations, a properly adjusted set of good 45/70 dies will do everything needed with just the standard three die set. My set of Hornady dies preforms all functions, sizing, case mouth flaring, bullet seating and crimping, all very well and with zero negative issues.

Just avoid that Lee die with the carbide ring.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Biri,

Yep, the "free" shell holder is one of the things Lee uses as a come on.

As nearly as I could tell, I believe the Lee FCD you show is the collet type.

With the die shown, you would use the bullet seater in the standard 3 die set to seat the bullet and the 4th Lee FCD to crimp the bullet.

I have found the 4th step to be un-needed as long as a person properly adjusts the 3 die set.

Looking at your second link, it appears to show a standard 3 die set.

I read that Lee does package and sell 4 die sets. 1st die is sizer and decapper, 2nd die would slightly expand the case mouth and depending on proper adjustment, slightly flair the cast mouth to prevent the sharp case mouth from cutting lead from the bullet, 3rd die would seat the bullet and 4th crimp the case mouth.

The one thing I do not recall is, what kind of rifle are you using.

For example, on a single shot there is little to no need to crimp the bullet unless as I do, you feel that you get a bit better powder burn with a bit of a crimp. I shoot a RUGER #1 - 45/70

But, I simply and successful use the 3rd die of my 3 die set for both bullet seating and crimping, just as I have done for handguns for many years. This includes my 45/70.

I believe the third link you provide is the same Hornady die set that I use for my 45/70.

I have used Herters dies way back when I began loading, but quickly moved to RCBS because of the very pour quality of the Herters products I happened to get. Have used mostly RCBS dies for years, with some "CH" dies, Lee and recently Hornady thrown in.

Of late, it has been mostly Hornady dies that I bought new, but have come buy some other RCBS - new and used - that have been added to my assortment.

If you buy the Lee products, and yes the Lee dies I have used sized fine, buy some RCBS or Hornady lock rings to replace the Lee "lock rings".

That has always been a big negative to those dies for me as when I adjust a set of dies, I expect and intend that adjustment to stay as set until I see some reason to change. With the Lee aluminum "lock Ring" and "O" ring set up, the adjustment is always subject to being moved and can not be relied on to stay put.

If and when you move to loading bottle neck cartridges such as I think the 9.3X62 to be, you then deal with mostly 2 die sets unless you happen to be using cast bullets in which case something like a Lyman "M" die might prove helpful.

If your interested, send me a P.M. with your personal "E" address and I'll send you a document that addresses proper adjustment of bottle neck sizing dies.

Along that line, I have used "neck sizing" dies for bottle neck cartridges at times and NEVER found them to be an advantage beyond a properly adjusted set of standard "full length" dies.

Your getting there, and with all the questions your asking, I think you will get er done in fine fashion no matter what brand of equipment you go with. I do buy some Lee products, but am picky in that area, due to previous experience. Just pick and choose wisely and you will do fine.

:biggrin: Not everyone needs as I do, to take a Mack Truck to the grocery store. :flute:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Discussion starter · #50 ·
:biggrin: Not everyone needs as I do, to take a Mack Truck to the grocery store. :flute:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
lol that's just what i'm trying not to do!!!

thank you for the offer but you'd already send me that file about the bottleneck cases, nice reading, very good info. i've already printed it and is already on a file i'm compiling.

But in regard of those 2 lee kit's, wich one will suit me better to start? better wich one will prevent me to have to spend more € to start (because the press is the same, the scale is the same, and several other stuffs are the same).

Thank's

Discussion starter · #51 ·
i forgot to mention that i will shoot these rounds on a 1895g ported!
don't know if this matters!!

Bire,

Oh good, a Marlin lever action! I must play nice here, or being a RUGER 45/70 shooter the guys might not let me play. That would be the pits as they mostly play nice with me!

I really hope I am correct here, and I think I am, knowing what it is I think I know, :hmmmm: but I think the link #2 (Lee three die set) will load your 45/70 ammo.

I hope that die set - 3rd die - will do the proper bullet seating and if needed crimping without forcing you into buying a 4th die. Can't say, but would hope that is true. It should be!

With the Marlin, you will likely want to crimp. Not a negative, just a fact.

Ya might want to find some real lock rings with the set screw - RCBS/Hornady or?? - as that would indeed make the Lee dies nicer to use and live with.

I see the Lee powder dipper in the set, and that is one of the Lee items I have and used for years. I have the complete set.

I definitely do NOT rely on the dipper to throw me consistent powder charges, but usually use two of the dippers to place powder into my powder scale pan.

Usually a larger one that dips a charge some grains lighter then the desired charge and then a small dipper to add or subtract powder from the pan until I arrive at the desired amount.

Your about to the place where you should start showing us some of those bragging groups! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Waiting! :flute:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Holy mackerel magnum6 that's a sweet man cave. Better watch that smoking in there though ...
:) Yes Sir , that's my worst habit ! never drank alcohol , beer , wine and all that..... Never could stand it in my mouth ! never ran around with reckless women in my younger day.... To old to care anymore now anyhow ! But I've all way's liked my cigarettes , ever since I was about 16 , and yes not a great Idea to smoke in your loading room , but I do as you can see Several ash trays in there :biggrin: But been doing it for over 50 years in there and never had a miss hap YET" anyhow , but I'm Pretty careful in there while I'm doing it needless to say , when I'm doing certain things in there such as powdering cases and having a 100 or two open cases sitting in a culpa loading trays , I'm pretty careful on how close I get with a cigarette to it . But it's like everything else I do , I'm pretty careful , because I never wanted to harm myself , and ESP: , the next man . I have All ways had a Great Deal Of Respect for my fellow man . I use the words............... Yes Madam , and Yes Sir" , and Thank You" Quite a bit in my life every day , and like the singer" , ole Jerry Jeff Walker say's if ya don't like that we don't givea damn :biggrin: we be Texas folks . I was taught some pretty good values as I was growing up by my Mother and Dad , and practice those values to this day , God Rest There Beautiful Sole's .

Any hue , like ole Crusty Deary OI Coot" says above here , Experience is your best teacher .... Re".... I don't like to make waves, but I do have long established likes and dis-likes which have been formed by the use of different products. ..... Same here for the last 50+ years . Lee dies set's are my favorites" , have 12 different caliber set's . I Esp. like there fairly new , Factory Crimp dies. I say fairly new .... They have been out for a while now . The reason I like lee dies is , I've been using them for a Very Long time , and they have all way's preformed very well for me , and they cost the least amount of money when your buying them . Some of those die sets , I bought YEARS ago for like $8 bucks a set and they still work as good now as the did when they were new .

Somebody said above that all dies sets will last a life time and he's right , if you treat um right , just like any fire arm . But Most of my other equipment is from the other MFG's because of the fact there either electric , or of better Quality , And Precision " than Lee mfg. , and / or easier to use . But I will never knock Lee Die's to anyone .... there Very well made and preform as good as any on the market today .....

Magnum6

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.