Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Thinking about starting to reload!

3K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  Magnum6 
I use a variety of equipment from All the mfg's , Hornaday , Lyman , Rcbs , Lee , Redding and Frankfort Arsenal equipment , that I've gathered up through the last 50 years . If one piece of equipment works well for me , I keep it and still use it to this day. if it didn't I trashed it , or through it in one of several boxes of old equipment storage I have , and don't use it to this day, because I've replaced it with a Different mfg's piece of equipment , or replaced it yet the 3rd. or 4 th. or 5 th. time to keep my bench updated with the latest modern equipment , that makes the job easiest for me . >>>>>>>>> Sorta like a mechanic and His Modern Tool Chest<<<<<<<<<<<

Such as digital powder throwers and scales . I've use every kind of loading press's they make , or Pretty close , and finely decided on using a single stage press . I've try them all on varies task's and decide on one , which I bought 4 of that go's across one of my reloading benches , and that happens to be the Lee Classic Cast single stage press . I use 4 separate press" as I load ammo cases , reason being , I use a separate die in each press of what ever caliber I'm loading . Some calibers I load only require the use of 2 or 3 die's and so I only use either 2 or 3 of the presses as I load for that caliber . I've tried 3 different progressive type presses and None of those worked for me.... Toooooo much play or movement in the system as you use it. I Highly recommend any new to reloading people , to use a Good Solid Strong Single Stage Reloading Press " To load your ammo .

I use Mostly All Lee die set's with the exception of 3 calibers , 357 mag. 44 mag , and 45 acp . I use Redding competition die set with micro meteor bullet seaters , mainly because I use to shoot those calibers in competition shooting , in my younger days . I use only the Lee Factory Crimp die on All calibers I load . I use RCBS" Digital 1500 scales to weigh out bullets , cases , bullets and powder , and shot for my shotgun reloading task's . I have and use Two different RCBS High $ 1500 Automatic Powder thrower I use , one for metallic loading , and the other on my shotgun bench for use in loading those shotgun ammo . (The Fastest most accurate weigh out system there is to date ) I use the RCBS ~ APS bench mounted priming system to prime all caliber cases . I use a Lyman powder case trimmer to trim all cases . I use the RCBS power prep. station to prep All cases , rifle and pistol , for New cases mainly .

I don't cast any more , but still have all of that equipment as well , It's all Lyman and Lee equipment . ..... Pictures below of the work area . Building Room Interior design Workshop
Electronics Room Furniture Desk Table
Product Room Building Furniture Grocery store
Machine Flooring
Font Wood Text Wood stain Signage
The Cave.... No Girl aloud :biggrin:.... Magnum 6

biri,

Some good advice given above.

As per the case trimmer, I shoot way more then I trim, and right off can't remember ever trimming a straight wall handgun case. I started handloading for rifle and handgun firearms in the late 60s or very early 70s.

With bottle neck cartridges, trimming frequency will depend on the case design and the pressures your using. I'd say, that my bottle neck cases would never need trimming before at least 3 times firing.

For the straight wall handgun cases, be sure and buy a carbide size die set.

Some folk feel the need for a 4 die set where they seat and crimp the handgun bullets in two separate steps.

Well, to each his own, but a good RCBS or Hornady 3 die set, PROPERLY ADJUSTED!!!!! is all that is needed in well over 95% of the handgun cartridge loading.

If you should get roped into buying such thing as a Lee Factory Crimp Die, make sure it is the type with the adjustable collets AND NOT!!!! the kind with the carbide ring in the die!

KEEP YOUR BRASS SEGREGATED BY BRAND AND NUMBER OF TIMES FIRED!

Even better is to also segregate not only by brand and times fired but also by manufacturing lot number.

If you measure a case "X" times fired and it measures at or over the needs to be trimmed length, then trim all your brass of the same age.

BE aware that being a good handloader is a commitment of time and money. Be a good handloader or just buy your ammo.

Some folk are not geared up to put in the time and effort to properly load, develop and test quality ammunition and are just better off to never go there.

Before you go any farther, buy 2 - 3 handloading manuals such as the Speer, Hornady, Nosler books and READ!!!!!!! the front of the book in each of them.

Reading and understanding the informational portions of those manuals is more important for a new or perspective handloader, then the load data found in the later pages!

There is lots of experience represented by the posters on this and other forums, and most of us like to talk about what it is we think we know about what we think we know. :hmmmm: :biggrin:

Oh and by the way, as good and useful as a progressive loader may be, you can be a very good Handloader with out a progressive. Many folk on the forums have never owned a progressive and some like myself owned one and sold it. So, one step at a time, learn the process and make informed purchases. The best tool to make you a good handloader is between your ears.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Re:..... Ouote Ol'Crusty... Before you go any farther, buy 2 - 3 handloading manuals such as the Speer, Hornady, Nosler books and READ!!!!!!! the front of the book in each of them.

I Whole Heartily Agree with Ol' Crusty on that" Another good one to learn a Wealth of information on , Esp; loading for metallic rifle cartages , is the Lyman" loading manual . Loading rifle cartages , you have LOT MORE Chamber Pressure to deal with that you do a pistol cartage , OR a Shotgun chamber.... Read those manual brother and learn , esp: about High Chamber pressure signs on a cartage , before you start ....

Magnum6

WOW magnum!! i think that cave is incredible!!
Now i have something to dream with! eheh (only to dream):vollkommenauf:.

I can go with one kit, not more, so i need one that really works, even if i have to spend a litle more money.
Well brother , that' an accumulation of about 50 year of gear , not all at once , but you can get yourself a Good set of equipment for as little as about $130 buck's or so , good enough to get yourself in the game , then as you would like , you can add all the automatic fancy gear latter as you'd like or as deep as you want to get into it all . But Brother Please Make sure you Read at least one of those loading manuals from the Front To the back last page , and understand what it's telling you . Cause if you load Rifle ammo with too high of pressure , It Will" Destroy your gun and more than likely Hurt you real Bad , on Worse" Believe me my friend , I Have Seen it happen More the 5 time's in the last 50 years .... 4 of those were New Re loader people , that didn't read there books .... good luck , and All way's Be Safe with you new project .... I've also seen 2 hand gun come apart in two different fellow's hands and made them all bloody !

Magnum6

Holy mackerel magnum6 that's a sweet man cave. Better watch that smoking in there though ...
:) Yes Sir , that's my worst habit ! never drank alcohol , beer , wine and all that..... Never could stand it in my mouth ! never ran around with reckless women in my younger day.... To old to care anymore now anyhow ! But I've all way's liked my cigarettes , ever since I was about 16 , and yes not a great Idea to smoke in your loading room , but I do as you can see Several ash trays in there :biggrin: But been doing it for over 50 years in there and never had a miss hap YET" anyhow , but I'm Pretty careful in there while I'm doing it needless to say , when I'm doing certain things in there such as powdering cases and having a 100 or two open cases sitting in a culpa loading trays , I'm pretty careful on how close I get with a cigarette to it . But it's like everything else I do , I'm pretty careful , because I never wanted to harm myself , and ESP: , the next man . I have All ways had a Great Deal Of Respect for my fellow man . I use the words............... Yes Madam , and Yes Sir" , and Thank You" Quite a bit in my life every day , and like the singer" , ole Jerry Jeff Walker say's if ya don't like that we don't givea damn :biggrin: we be Texas folks . I was taught some pretty good values as I was growing up by my Mother and Dad , and practice those values to this day , God Rest There Beautiful Sole's .

Any hue , like ole Crusty Deary OI Coot" says above here , Experience is your best teacher .... Re".... I don't like to make waves, but I do have long established likes and dis-likes which have been formed by the use of different products. ..... Same here for the last 50+ years . Lee dies set's are my favorites" , have 12 different caliber set's . I Esp. like there fairly new , Factory Crimp dies. I say fairly new .... They have been out for a while now . The reason I like lee dies is , I've been using them for a Very Long time , and they have all way's preformed very well for me , and they cost the least amount of money when your buying them . Some of those die sets , I bought YEARS ago for like $8 bucks a set and they still work as good now as the did when they were new .

Somebody said above that all dies sets will last a life time and he's right , if you treat um right , just like any fire arm . But Most of my other equipment is from the other MFG's because of the fact there either electric , or of better Quality , And Precision " than Lee mfg. , and / or easier to use . But I will never knock Lee Die's to anyone .... there Very well made and preform as good as any on the market today .....

Magnum6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.