Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Thinking about starting to reload!

3K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  Magnum6 
I like the Lee Breech Lock kit... Its what I got when I first started and I still use it. Now I have the Breech Lock hand press as well so I can reload at the range if I need to.

No matter what kit you get... get a Lyman "M" die for the 45-70...

Doc

Well I have the Lee dies and the M die is essential to loading the big .460 - .461 boolits in the case. The expander in the lee set just doesnt do it for me where the "M" die does.

Crusty, it does nothing for groups, just helps me with opening the mouth of the case so that the boolits dont crush the top of the case.

35 Remington, I will have a discussion any time you want about my use of the Lyman M die!
Here is a .459 boolit I tried to load in a Starline case without using the M die.
Ammunition Bullet Brass Gun accessory Metal

Doc

Ok, Lets... I tried for a couple months to get my lee expanding die to work (should be easy right?) Put the shell into the die, screw it down until you feel it hit the top of the case, lower the case and screw it down a little at a time while raising the case to flair.... Well I kept cranking on the darn thing and it wasnt doing anything to flair the case to fit the base of even the .459's just as I got to the bottom of the threads it went from no flair to \ / and now wouldnt fit into my seating die... I gave up, purchased the M die and within seconds I was loading ammo.. The Lee die went sailing into the waste basket at that time.

I never once said that the M die does anything special compaired to the Hornady since I dont own one, If I would have gotten that set then maybe, just maybe I wouldnt have gotten the Lyman die.

Doc

Doc, as you have likely read in my posts, I am a very selective and picky buyer of Lee products.

I looked at the Lee neck expander on the net awhile back, and I can see why you never had any positive results.

The last thing I'd want is some long tapered neck expansion. I couldn't see how that die could possibly prove usable.

Maybe it's sale is a good move on their part to sell more collet type crimpers.?.?.?.. :hmmmm:

Thanks for the report on your results!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Crusty, when I started reloading I bought the Lee dies because it was what my father in law had at the time so without checking on other die sets I purchased the lee dies for every rifle and pistol I had... probably not the smartest thing to do.

I probably got a defective expanding die and was so PO'd at the thing I almost took shots at it.. all of my other Lee dies work perfectly and I had no issues setting them up to expand, seat and crimp. So maybe if I had gotten a good one or bought the hornady's or some other dies I wouldnt have got the Lyman but it was been with me since I started loading for the 45-70 and it will stay with me

Doc

yeah Im still waiting on Lee to start taking custom orders again.... I want a collet die for the 6.5X57
I contacted them about 6 months ago and they said they would email when they are taking custom jobs again

Doc

Reactions: biri
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.