Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Thinking about starting to reload!

3K views 54 replies 15 participants last post by  Magnum6 
biri,

Some good advice given above.

As per the case trimmer, I shoot way more then I trim, and right off can't remember ever trimming a straight wall handgun case. I started handloading for rifle and handgun firearms in the late 60s or very early 70s.

With bottle neck cartridges, trimming frequency will depend on the case design and the pressures your using. I'd say, that my bottle neck cases would never need trimming before at least 3 times firing.

For the straight wall handgun cases, be sure and buy a carbide size die set.

Some folk feel the need for a 4 die set where they seat and crimp the handgun bullets in two separate steps.

Well, to each his own, but a good RCBS or Hornady 3 die set, PROPERLY ADJUSTED!!!!! is all that is needed in well over 95% of the handgun cartridge loading.

If you should get roped into buying such thing as a Lee Factory Crimp Die, make sure it is the type with the adjustable collets AND NOT!!!! the kind with the carbide ring in the die!

KEEP YOUR BRASS SEGREGATED BY BRAND AND NUMBER OF TIMES FIRED!

Even better is to also segregate not only by brand and times fired but also by manufacturing lot number.

If you measure a case "X" times fired and it measures at or over the needs to be trimmed length, then trim all your brass of the same age.

BE aware that being a good handloader is a commitment of time and money. Be a good handloader or just buy your ammo.

Some folk are not geared up to put in the time and effort to properly load, develop and test quality ammunition and are just better off to never go there.

Before you go any farther, buy 2 - 3 handloading manuals such as the Speer, Hornady, Nosler books and READ!!!!!!! the front of the book in each of them.

Reading and understanding the informational portions of those manuals is more important for a new or perspective handloader, then the load data found in the later pages!

There is lots of experience represented by the posters on this and other forums, and most of us like to talk about what it is we think we know about what we think we know. :hmmmm: :biggrin:

Oh and by the way, as good and useful as a progressive loader may be, you can be a very good Handloader with out a progressive. Many folk on the forums have never owned a progressive and some like myself owned one and sold it. So, one step at a time, learn the process and make informed purchases. The best tool to make you a good handloader is between your ears.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

biri,

Some Lee products are junk right from the time they left the drawing board, so buy carefully and wisely! Some of their products are good and some just so so and then comes the junk.

The equipment I have bought that was quality to start with has lasted me for years. And yes I have bought some of the junk and got exactly what I paid for. JUNK at any price!

If you are planning on loading any bottle neck (typically rifle) cartridges, send me a "P.M." with your personal "E" address and I'll send you a document that will help you get started and some tips that many manufactures don't tell you.

Hang in there and keep us posted on your progress.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Doc,

Talk to me about the Lyman "M" die for the 45/70. I use my Hornady three die set with no problem and good results.

Although I doubt I need it, if it was a factor of better groups, I could think about it.

What am I missing here?

CDOC

Thanks guys!

I use the Hornady 3 die set for my 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast in the 45/70. The bullet is sized .460 and the brass is starline. Every thing is working fine with the Hornady dies.

I do have "M" dies for .30 caliber cast bullet use, but those 2 die sets do not flair the case mouth like the 3 die sets do.

Thanks. I'm old but hope not too old to still learn a bit.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Doc, as you have likely read in my posts, I am a very selective and picky buyer of Lee products.

I looked at the Lee neck expander on the net awhile back, and I can see why you never had any positive results.

The last thing I'd want is some long tapered neck expansion. I couldn't see how that die could possibly prove usable.

Maybe it's sale is a good move on their part to sell more collet type crimpers.?.?.?.. :hmmmm:

Thanks for the report on your results!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Well I'm personally very glad that there are so many brands, all at least usable to one degree or another, as that allows each of us to pay our money and make our choice.

I have not used Lyman dies, but expect they would be OK. I have an old set of "CH" dies for my .243 that I've used for years with good results, and my RCBS and Hornady dies work well.

Even the set or two of Lee dies I have bought , worked OK - sad I can't say the same for all their products! - but when I must buy replacement Hornady or RCBS lock rings for the Lee dies to have lock rings that in fact lock and stay where they should as apposed to the hooky "lock & 0 ring" rings found on Lee products, Well, that is more then enough for me not buy Lee sizing dies.

I do have some Lee products but as I have said other times and places, I buy their products selectively and seldom are they my first choice.

Many years back I started with Herters loading equipment, and I also realize that some folk still have and use those products, but guess my dies and press must not have been a good representation of their normal quality. Something about dies that look like they were reamed with a pipe threading tap along with the rest of the mediocre quality of press, powder dribbler etc. made the switch to RCBS not only welcome, but good.

You all know what they say about first impressions.

But then again, that is one more reason to thankful for the wide assortment of possibilities available, something for everyone! That is good!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

biri,

Are there any other choices available?

As msharley says, they will all get er done.

There are just some things I don't like which are specific to that brand.

Now, Lee has a big stable of "likers" but --------------------------

I'd really look at their case trimmer, and if it is the one I know of, I'd not spend any money that direction. Much better are the arbor or lathe type trimmers, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, Forester etc. etc.

I don't like to make waves, but I do have long established likes and dis-likes which have been formed by the use of different products.

If one of the presses shown in your post is constructed with a cast iron or steel frame, that would get my nod. The more steel and less aluminum in the press, the better.

Keep us posted as to your final choices and your progress with this great and useful pastime.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

biri,

Be aware that you will not likely find "carbide" sizing dies for the 45/70.

What appears to be a straight wall case, in fact has too much body taper for a carbide die.

AVOID the Lee Factory Crimp Die which has the carbide ring in the dies mouth. This die can cause a great amount of problems especially if you are using cast bullets properly sized to your bore.

However, from what I read, the Lee collet style FCD is apparently a good product.

Yes, I have tried the Carbide style and wish I hadn't and my son has a collet style and he and many other like it.

Took me weeks to find out what my functioning problem was with a .45acp, only to find that it was the Lee carbide FCD causing the problem.

However, after saying that, in well over 95% of the 45/70 loading situations, a properly adjusted set of good 45/70 dies will do everything needed with just the standard three die set. My set of Hornady dies preforms all functions, sizing, case mouth flaring, bullet seating and crimping, all very well and with zero negative issues.

Just avoid that Lee die with the carbide ring.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Biri,

Yep, the "free" shell holder is one of the things Lee uses as a come on.

As nearly as I could tell, I believe the Lee FCD you show is the collet type.

With the die shown, you would use the bullet seater in the standard 3 die set to seat the bullet and the 4th Lee FCD to crimp the bullet.

I have found the 4th step to be un-needed as long as a person properly adjusts the 3 die set.

Looking at your second link, it appears to show a standard 3 die set.

I read that Lee does package and sell 4 die sets. 1st die is sizer and decapper, 2nd die would slightly expand the case mouth and depending on proper adjustment, slightly flair the cast mouth to prevent the sharp case mouth from cutting lead from the bullet, 3rd die would seat the bullet and 4th crimp the case mouth.

The one thing I do not recall is, what kind of rifle are you using.

For example, on a single shot there is little to no need to crimp the bullet unless as I do, you feel that you get a bit better powder burn with a bit of a crimp. I shoot a RUGER #1 - 45/70

But, I simply and successful use the 3rd die of my 3 die set for both bullet seating and crimping, just as I have done for handguns for many years. This includes my 45/70.

I believe the third link you provide is the same Hornady die set that I use for my 45/70.

I have used Herters dies way back when I began loading, but quickly moved to RCBS because of the very pour quality of the Herters products I happened to get. Have used mostly RCBS dies for years, with some "CH" dies, Lee and recently Hornady thrown in.

Of late, it has been mostly Hornady dies that I bought new, but have come buy some other RCBS - new and used - that have been added to my assortment.

If you buy the Lee products, and yes the Lee dies I have used sized fine, buy some RCBS or Hornady lock rings to replace the Lee "lock rings".

That has always been a big negative to those dies for me as when I adjust a set of dies, I expect and intend that adjustment to stay as set until I see some reason to change. With the Lee aluminum "lock Ring" and "O" ring set up, the adjustment is always subject to being moved and can not be relied on to stay put.

If and when you move to loading bottle neck cartridges such as I think the 9.3X62 to be, you then deal with mostly 2 die sets unless you happen to be using cast bullets in which case something like a Lyman "M" die might prove helpful.

If your interested, send me a P.M. with your personal "E" address and I'll send you a document that addresses proper adjustment of bottle neck sizing dies.

Along that line, I have used "neck sizing" dies for bottle neck cartridges at times and NEVER found them to be an advantage beyond a properly adjusted set of standard "full length" dies.

Your getting there, and with all the questions your asking, I think you will get er done in fine fashion no matter what brand of equipment you go with. I do buy some Lee products, but am picky in that area, due to previous experience. Just pick and choose wisely and you will do fine.

:biggrin: Not everyone needs as I do, to take a Mack Truck to the grocery store. :flute:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Bire,

Oh good, a Marlin lever action! I must play nice here, or being a RUGER 45/70 shooter the guys might not let me play. That would be the pits as they mostly play nice with me!

I really hope I am correct here, and I think I am, knowing what it is I think I know, :hmmmm: but I think the link #2 (Lee three die set) will load your 45/70 ammo.

I hope that die set - 3rd die - will do the proper bullet seating and if needed crimping without forcing you into buying a 4th die. Can't say, but would hope that is true. It should be!

With the Marlin, you will likely want to crimp. Not a negative, just a fact.

Ya might want to find some real lock rings with the set screw - RCBS/Hornady or?? - as that would indeed make the Lee dies nicer to use and live with.

I see the Lee powder dipper in the set, and that is one of the Lee items I have and used for years. I have the complete set.

I definitely do NOT rely on the dipper to throw me consistent powder charges, but usually use two of the dippers to place powder into my powder scale pan.

Usually a larger one that dips a charge some grains lighter then the desired charge and then a small dipper to add or subtract powder from the pan until I arrive at the desired amount.

Your about to the place where you should start showing us some of those bragging groups! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Waiting! :flute:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.