Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with shooting in the North South Skirmish (NSSA) competitions (have some locals that want me to get involved) so I was contemplating purchasing a replica 1860 Henry in 44-40 for this purpose (and of course I like the look of the rifle). I went to the Pedersoli sight since I already have one of their 1874 Sharps and love it! (it's the Q model) so thought I'd start there. They do not have the henry rifle, but they DO have a Gibbs and a Mortimer Whitworth that look absolutely gorgeous...but...which one? Should I even bother to go there? (Muzzle loaders)
I DID find a beautiful 1860 Henry on the Uberti sight (all black steel with case hardened receiver)....I had originally thought of purchasing a "Henry", there is 2 at one of our LGS's and they are gorgeous, but DOUBLE the price of the Uberti! (Able ammo sells the Uberti for around $1100 and the Henry's are going for $2000!).
So, bottom line, since I'm going to be using black powder anyways, do I go for the 1860 Henry, the Gibbs, or the Whitworth?
Thoughts? I can't find if the model Gibbs or Whitworth I am looking at are valid "models" of the rifles that actually took part in the civil war...
Does anyone own ANY of these rifles? I'd like to get some input on that as well!
Thanks!
Mazer

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well did a bit more research and found that the Gibbs is out because it is setup for "target" not military use. Darn....really liked that one!

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Sounds like a good time! Have you checked into a Parker-Hale Enfield repro? They are no longer made but were built using the specs and guages from the origional's. I have heard that they shoot terrific.

I have never shot with the N/SSA, maybe asking and talking to those who invited you would give you a bit of direction. What do they use?

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They use a variety of rifles smooth bore and rifled....I'm not up on my Civil War rifles lately but I do know that if I make the investment is should be something accurate! Thats why I was considering the Whitworth.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I don't have any experience at all with the Whitworth other than what I've read about. The hexagonal bullet and bore has always intrigued me though. They have quite the reputation for accuracy!

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately all the repro's I've found so far do NOT include the Hexagonal bullet. But I'm taking my time and looking.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Have you searched dixie gun works? They have the rifle,bullet's, mould, and swagging block. No repro that I've ever seen has included bullets, or other accoutrements unless bought used as a package.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
A guy used to come out to our ML club shoots with a Whitworth. He did not have the swage and shot a long .45 cal bullet with a leather wad below it. At 50 yards they weren't keyholing. I would check the rules at the NSSA website before making an investment, they can be fussy.

Reactions: Smoke Ratchet

·
Registered
249 Posts
A guy used to come out to our ML club shoots with a Whitworth. He did not have the swage and shot a long .45 cal bullet with a leather wad below it. At 50 yards they weren't keyholing. I would check the rules at the NSSA website before making an investment, they can be fussy.
"I would check the rules at the NSSA website before making an investment"

Sound Wisdom!

Smoke Ratchet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.