Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a .30-06 Marlin from the first run of XL7s. Sold it a while back and since then I've gone through a lot of guns, but still think that was one of the nicest little bolt-actions I ever had. I haven't done a whole lot of shooting recently thanks to the ongoing ammo shortage (at least in my part of Texas), and my only centerfire at the moment is a Yugo M48 Mauser. I've got a bunch of 8mm ammo, but it's Berdan-primed so reloading it wouldn't be worth my time. I'm really thinking about getting a .223 bolt-action now for a couple reasons, mainly that the ammo is cheap, readily available, light recoil, and reloadable. The X7 seems to be one of the cheapest rifles out there in .223, which is just fine with me since I like them so much. My question is, how do these .223 guns compare to the original .30-06 I had? Still have the fluted bolt and blind mag? There aren't any in the LGSs around me so I'd have to order from Davidson's or Bud's and I don't want to order something that might not work out too great. Anyone, feel free to chip in, I'd greatly appreciate it. And photos are great too. ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I want one too! Big time! Yes they have the blind mag not sure about the fluted bolt.I want one for a "Walkaround varminter" I thought about a 243, but a 223 will get it done just fine on critters up to coyote size. And the ammo is quite a but less expensive too. Put some quality glass and rings on it and you will definitely be good to go.

Robert

1 - 2 of 2 Posts