Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks...I have been thinking "off and on" for some time now about getting into a JM 45/70? I am thinking along the lines of a 26" Cowboy version. I just love the looks and lines of all the Marlin Cowboy rifles. I have a 1894CB w/ 24" barrel in 45LC and really enjoy it. If I were to invest in a 45/70 I would most likely shoot it 3-4 times a year at the range max distance 200 yards. I do not hunt and do not do CB action shooting. I do not re-load. I have heard the 45/70 kicks like a mule? Anyway...Can I get some thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I always wanted a 45-70 and when I got one it was true love =). If you find one at a good price do it. You can always sell it if its not your thing. My guess is you’ll be happy! At one point I had 3 until I needed to thin the heard. For me the guide gun configuration is my favorite

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
45-70 is a great round. It can do everything from groundhogs to grizzlies. Factory ammo, while not cheap, is readily available. The 26" CB model has enough weight (especially when fully loaded) to help keep recoil down. The heavier octagonal barrel doesn't hurt, either.

Just be forewarned: Once the 45-70 bug bites, it takes a serious hold. I started off with a Marlin 1895 CB myself, and now have more than I ever expected.

Go for it. You will enjoy it!

·
Registered
295 Posts
At one time, I owned 3 Marlin 45/70s, all in the Guide Gun style. I am now down to one, a Guide Gun in stainless. Love the rifle, and while I don't reload, I find factory ammo on sale and that helps feed the addiction. Yes, a 45/70 will kick......but once you realize what you have to do, it is not terrible at all. Never owned the cowboy model. Good luck finding what you want.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I have a guide gun and a cowboy. If I was shooting 3 or 4 times a year at a range, I would pick the cowboy. I would add a peep sight and shoot the 200 yards with someones factory trapdoor level loads.
Then you will be going to the range much more often.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I have a 1895 w/ 18.5' and 22" round barrel.

The longer the barrel= reduced felt recoil. A heavy barrel/ octagon barrel = more reduced felt recoil.
Because you don't reload. Factory loads aren't bad. imo, my 30-06 recoils harder then 45-70.

(Some say 7.62x54R kicks like a mule. I have no issues with shooting round after round with my 91/30 or M44. I guess felt recoil also depends on the person. )

You'll be happy with 1895 CB

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
I always heard that about the recoil of the 45-70 and quite frankly I don't notice it even with hot loads. I'm not recoil sensitive but I've had young girls and ladies shoot it also who loved shooting it. On the other hand, some guys have shot it and said it "kicks". I guess it depends on your frame of reference whether the recoil is excessive or not. But as stated, you can go with light loads that have very little recoil or with the heavy loads.

Whatever you choose to do, the 45-70 is just plain fun!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Make the leap! There are loads off the shelf from pretty tame plinkers to stuff for dangerous game that gets your attention when you squeeze one off. With the heavier loads - errors in shooting form will be accentuated.

I prefer the older, pre safety rifles - nice ones can be found with a little patience.

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
Everyone needs a Marlin big bore--both the 444 Marlin and the 45-70 fit that niche very nicely.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just do it - we are a bloody long time on the wrong side of the grass mate. I have prob a dozen WWI & II rifles that are some of the best ive seen but no way in hell will i take any of them to the range without that Marlin coming along. Its my absolute favorite

·
Registered
219 Posts
I highly recommend a slip-on recoil pad. The 45-70 shoots heavy bullets. Heavy bullets = heavy recoil. That said, you will have no problem with 200 yard shots although the trajectory is a bit of rainbow.
Pictured is an over-killed fallow doe...range 143 yards. Deer Deer hunting Roe deer Hunting Recreation

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
+1 on a JM Marlin 1895 CB in 45-70 gov't. I love mine.

Reactions: bkg1956 and Remy103

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just do it - we are a bloody long time on the wrong side of the grass mate. I have prob a dozen WWI & II rifles that are some of the best ive seen but no way in hell will i take any of them to the range without that Marlin coming along. Its my absolute favorite
I'm into that stuff too.

Musical instrument Air gun

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.