Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a few 1895s that are for sale...one is a 1979 model that has been re-blued and the wood refinished, so it looks like new. Does a complete restoration like that affect value? If I decide later on to shorten the barrel from 22" to either 16.25" or 18"...do such project guns end up losing value in the long run? I imagine at least the cost of such modifications end up not being fully recovered when sold later on.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The biggest thing that affects the value of any weapon is your expectations. Did you buy it as an investment, project, personal use or because you always wanted one. I don't believe the rifle you mentioned lost any value from refinishing unless it had some sort of special history (doubtful if it was built in 79) There are many guys on this sight that have shortened the barrels and in the end if you sell it you may find someone that will pay more because it was shortened. The only guns I have that I wouldn't even consider modifying are examples of a model I searched for specifically as an "I always wanted one" gun. I say go for it and make it your own.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Anytime you do a mod on a gun, you reduce the POTENTIAL resale value because a fair number of folks in the buyers market are looking for an all original factory gun. Doesn't mean the actual value of the gun is any less, just means that you'll have to work a bit harder to find the right buyer.

The problem with any work done on a gun is that it raises question marks in the eyes of some buyers. If a previous owner did a re-blue job, for instance, it makes it a bit harder to gauge how much use the gun has actually had. If the owner did a trigger job on the gun, what else was done to the gun? Any time you do something that raises questions when it comes to sell the gun, means you'll have to work harder to sell the gun.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I'm in the Haggle stage (didn't know GunAuction had that!) for the aforementioned 1979 year model 1895, will hopefully land around $600...sounds like a fair price, as the couple I saw on GB recently went for $575 to $680 for that same model year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts