Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy dragged me along to pick up his new Ruger 10/22 (not much force needed to drag me to the gun store.)

They were well stocked and when I asked to see 2 rifles the clerk thought I was joking.

But as nuts as it sounds, I had decided to either buy a H&R Buffalo Classic or the Henry Mare's Leg .22.

It looked crazy, switching between the two, weighing up the benefits of both, but in the end I picked up the Mare's Leg .22.

Here in Canada, where the gun laws tend to make no common sense, the Henry Mare's Leg .22 is non-restricted. It is considered a long rifle. Not a very long rifle, but long enough that the laws governing the use and ownership of restricted firearms do not apply. (We don't have SBR, per se, but there are tighter regs on shorty semi-autos than lever or bolt guns) I can and do own restricted firearms, but it is illegal to hunt with them, so while my Colt Huntsman is just a paper poker, this little Henry is a food harvester.

So the moose hunter's dilemma is solved. This fall I'll carry the Marlin 1895 on my shoulder and the Mare's Leg down a leg holster. If I see a partridge/grouse I'll quietly dispatch it with the Mare's Leg using CBs. Same as when fall dirt biking, I'll just keep the Henry in the camel pack.

Now my buddies think I'm nuts - trying to hit a bird with a mare's leg - but if you jam the tiny butt into your cheek the sight picture becomes quite stable. If that doesn't work out for me, then a laser sight is option #2, and finally, because it is a rifle in Canada, there is no legal problem with putting the youth model buttstock on it - if I can find one...

I haven't made it to the range yet, and as tempting as it is to load it up with CBs and try it out in the backyard... no... not in this lifetime. Does anyone here have a Henry .22 Mare's Leg? Any thoughts on accuracy? I've seen guys shooting about 10 yards online and doing 'okay' - I'm hoping to get 2" @ 25yd which isn't that much tighter than what I consistently get with my 6" Colt .22 one handed.

Gak, hurry up week-end, there's some paper in my range box that needs holes punched in it!

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
sounds like its a perfect match for your purpose....

·
Premium Member
15,432 Posts
Sounds like a good plan

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Some times we just have to do what we think is the right thing to do. There are a lot of laws on both sides of the border that don't make a lot of sense but we are forced with them. Maybe someday those in power will do the right thing and repeal laws without merit or good sense. Hope you can and will enjoy your new rifle.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts