Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a pleasure to be able, still, to shoot well enough to hit something with open sights in a revolver. I ended up with a 3" SP101 38 Spl to replace the same gun in 22 LR I lost a couple of years ago. I've never shot much other than targets with this new gun but, last night, I was able to take a few bunnies with it without spoiling any of them with bad (body) shots. 6 hares and all around the head. Nice gun and great confidence booster.

I have found that my little 38 likes bullets heavier than 158s for point of aim. I was using 180 cast with 800-X loads.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Good shootin !

I have a little S&W 642 (1 7/8 " bbl) that I often carry. It seems to prefer
the 158 grain bullets best for shooting POA, though I haven't tried
anything heavier. As it is only around 15 or 16 oz empty, heavier bullets
may be more than a handful (literally) in that little gun. But it is handy
for carrying in town, or on hikes near home.

Do you know how fast those 800X loads are going in your SP101 ?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know my velocities. I did some checks at first when I initially started looking for loads which would shoot well but those were lighter bullet loads which shot low. Since my use of the little 38 is as a "pot gun," I don't care so much how fast they move but mainly if they are as close to POA as possible. These loads seem pretty much where I want them so I will chrono them at some point.

Not seeing the sights as well as I once could has been kind of a troubling deal as far as confidence goes. That I could still shooting decently with fuzzy sights was a good thing for my confidence, especially in this little gun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
All I can do is sympathize, Sir! My glasses now have three choices in them, but I can still shoot my handguns fairly well since I have learned to hold my head upright and peer at the front sight through the center choice. Target's supposed to be blurry anyway, so I'm good with that.

However, this method does NOT work on any of my iron sighted rifles. There is no way to hold my head (with it in contact with the stock) that allows me to see the front sight much at all. I still can get by with a (large) aperture or ghost ring rear sight but lining up the front sight (correctly) in the notch of a rear sight is pretty much out of the question for me.

As they say, "Gettin' old ain't fer sissies!", but we gotta compensate somehow or quit, and I ain't much fer quittin'! That's good shootin', and my favorite game meat as well. And I am especially fond of the three inch barrels on a revolver. It carries easily, and has enough barrel to allow pretty good sight alignment for precision work. I have three three-inch Smiths in .38 Special and .357, a J frame and two K frames. The mag is a SS model 65. I sure like 'em. That Ruger is also a dandy.

Around here, we generally don't handle the bunnies during the warmer months. For sure not in any month with an "R" in it, and I usually skip September, most of October, and April for sure. To much chance of a plagued flea or other nasty stuff. Cold weather usually culls the sick ones. I prefer one of my 39's for meat shootin', but I've got a new Buckmark that I'm gonna mount a Leupold Gilmer red dot sight on, which sight has a two minute dot. It's the berries for small targets like those cottontails I love to eat!!

But walking up and shooting jackrabbits with your handgun (or rifle) is surely good practice. If you can hit those (in the head), then you should surely be good to go for anything else

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am still getting by with reading specs as my distance vision is quite good keeping kids in glasses seems more important than filling the prescrip for bifocals I got awhile back. I often use a pair of weak reading glasses which kind of compromise the sights a bit without blurring the target too bad when I target shoot and that seems to work better than shooting without any correction for the sights.

On the evening I mentioned, I wasn't rabbit hunting anyway so had the revolver along more for "what if" than anything. I was actually looking for bears (and had a more appropriate long gun I will hasten to add!) I had found my quarry but didn't have time to do what I wanted to so ducked out and was returning home backtracking the 45 miles of trail I had come. Our bunnies (snowshoe hares) are still white though changing fast now as the snow is disappearing. After missing an occasional rabbit changeup from salmon last summer, I decided we should try to have enough rabbits in the freezer to get us through until we have enough snow to get more and this was too great an opportunity to pass up. Trying to get these guys in the summer is way too difficult even though the season never closes around here.

I guess everyone's eyes are different even in aging. I thought it was kind of nice to get the kind of surprise I got since the trend for most surprises in the aging process seem to lean the other way.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I used to think that Scout Scopes were a neat concept for rifles, then my eyes got older and I tried one, now I'm hooked. When I can afford it, all my rifles will wear them, and several "mature" folks I know have copied my rifle and are delighted with them. Fast-handling, quick target acquisition, and heck, they're Marlins, so they are accurate and fun to drag around the bush. I have a 2X on a 44, and a 4X on my 35 Remington, and I LOVE them. The XS/AO mount is a dandy, easy to install, and mine haven't moved a gazillimeter since I put them on many thousands of rounds ago. Takes the "Bad Eyes" problem completely out of the equation. No more glasses! Now if I could just see my pistol sights as well........ :roll:

PJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts