Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out elk hunting again this weekend, on our damage control hunt. Keep seeing fresh sign, but so far after almost two months of weekend hunting, they remain ghosts to us!
I've just about worn out my feet and my hunting boots, walking anywhere from 8-15 miles of woods every day we hunt. The weather was horrible last weekend, with 2" of hail coming down on my pea brain, while I was trying to find a Douglas fir to hide under! But this weekend was outstanding! Clear blue skies, and 54 degree weather made hunting much more tolerable, even if the elk remained hidden.
Well, two more weekends of hunting left, and then it's over for this hunt. This late agricultural hunt has really extended my time in the woods, from our normal fall hunting, so at least it's not a total loss yet!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
They're out there!! Ya just have to think like an elk!! :wink: SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hogger,
I tried thinking like an elk, but all it got me was a mouth full of grass, and a good hiding spot from my hunting partners! Almost got left behind one day, until I stopped thinking like an elk, and ran after the truck! :wink:
Wish you could hunt down here too Sure Shot!

·
Registered
110 Posts
1 pair hunting boots = $149.98
1 19th century single shot rifle = $1000+
Using these items to chase elk in the wilderness = Priceless

Keep at it......

max

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
mm93,

Did you take my advice and use one of your 1881's yet???? Which rifle did you use this last weekend????

Sounds like you are definitely staying IN SHAPE. Having a blast while your are at it.

Patience is a virtue remember!!! Maybe next weekend your luck will change............... IF you use an 1881!

Geoff

·
Registered
719 Posts
elk magnet!

I have it on GOOD authority that if started using a antique SWISS rifle, the 7 point elk would be everywhere! say a nice M81 Stutzer Vetterli...... :p

·
Registered
145 Posts
Cross your fingers MM93

Hey fella,
Another thing if your sticking your nose up in the air (DON'T)
Look down on the ground and see for tracks,if seen means they were there.Don't know if coming back so maybe should stick nose back up in the air. Good luck,sure wish I was there to give you a hand toten one of those "ELK" guns around them there hills!
:D 8) :D 8) :D 8) :D

SpikeMaster49

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Geoff,
I guess I'll have to break down and take the 1881! I had the newest gun I own with me this weekend, my Ruger #1 Lyman Centennial Model, built in 1978.
Maybe there's something to your theory. I have been hunting with old guns, until this weekend, just not one of the 1881's. Thought the Ballard #4 would do it, as it's an 1875 vintage, and that shoulda been old enough! Maybe it's just going to take a lever to do the trick!
Spikemaster,
Haven't gotten close enought to put my nose to the air yet! Finding lots of fresh sign, but around these damp woods, I can really smell them when they're in a wallow, but so far nothing that recent.
Some of the areas we looked at were like freeways! The elk had been through there so much, they wore ruts in the soil! It's about a 12 day cycle that they make. About every 12-14 days they work their way back into the areas they've previously been in. Hopefully we'll see them before we run out of time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts