Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over a lot of years, i have gradually refined my hunting technique for hunting turkeys. i started out making mistakes like anybody who starts at anything new.

when i figured out how to call turkeys to me, i found that i still had a lot to learn about how to get close enough to them to get the final desired results.

at last i came to rely on a set-up where i would try to locate a turkey and get into a position to call it over a rise of ground. ideally, i would set up inside of 30 yards from the point i expected to see the turkey come over the rise. that's the place i would put in my best effort. once i comitted, i would stick it out to its conclusion. a poor choice of a calling point is better than moving around with the turkey in close proximity.

i was in wisconsin a few years back hunting late season birds. i heard a lot of gobbling but was not getting anything in the way of acknowlegment from my calling efforts. i figured the birds were "henned up"!

so, i moved around a little through the morning hunting for a willing gobbler. i felt that if i could get a positive response from one that i had a really good chance of getting him. enough successes over the years tend to give one a lot more confidence.

about mid-day i came to a likely looking spot. i was walking along the edge of a winter wheat field. at the edge of the timber, the ground went steeply down and about 40 feet down, a ridge ran straight away fron the field. the ground dropped ofF steeply on both sides of this ridge.

now i figured that there could be a turkey down the other side of that ridge. before i made a call, i wanted to be in a place to be able to shoot him. things happen quickly at times and i have learned that in this situation it is best to be prepared before i make that first call.

staying back from the top of that ridge, i eased down the hill and found a tree to sit against where i could see a good length of the ridge. i was close up to the crest and had got there in good shape. i was proud of myself because i knew if there was a turkey down under there that he had no clue i was there.

i got on my gloves and mask. i laid out my turkey calls so they were readily available. i was finally ready as i could be. the first call must be soft. that's just in case the turkey really is just over the hill. he never is but....just in case. i gave as soft a call as i could make on a slate call....

GOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLEEEE! holy smokes! the turkey WAS just over the crest of the ridge and right in front of me! i dropped the call and shouldered the gun as quick as possible. i KNEW he was going to stick his periscope over the top to get a look at me! he could not help it!!

i waited...and waited...and waited. the winchester model 12 i use is a heavy gun. it is a pure pleasure when FIRING the 3" magnum loads that i had chambered. it is pure misery trying to hold it in the shouldered position for a long period of time.

a long enough period of time had passed. something was amiss. the gobbler was not cooperating. patience......

nothing kept happening! i knew he just had to stick his head over that hill to see what was so close to him....he could not help it. what else was there for him to do.

at last i could not take it any more. i had to know where he was. i slowly lowered the gun to my knee. then i picked up the slate call again. i made one yelp.....

GGOOOOOOBBBBBBLLLLLLEEEEEEE!

UH-OH! at that exact moment i was wishing that i could roll my eyes around to the back of my head. cause that's where the turkey was! about 10 FEET BEHIND AND ABOVE ME! and if he had not been sure where i was before he sure had me pointed now! that one yelp fixed that. he had stayed on his side of the ridge and circled around me! of course i was facing the completely wrong direction and there was no chance i would get a shot at him before he made his disappearance.

that's when the phrase first came to me and i have used it fairly regular ever since....THEM SNEAKY TURKEYS!!!!!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
ROFLMAOPMP.. :lol:

Yep sounds like the luck I have

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
I see you have been visited by Murphy's Law! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
VTDW said:
I see you have been visited by Murphy's Law! :mrgreen:
Visit hell.. I live it :lol:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Great read, and sneaky they are.
Like when you think you got it made and call him in and he cuts right around you! ARRRrrrrrr

·
Registered
580 Posts
This year everything just worked out for me. I roosted a nice tom the nught before. I heard four hens fly down behind me, and ten minutes later the tom flew down. I clucked at him twice and he came out in the open. It took him about twenty minutes to strut over to my decoy, and then I gave him the business at about twentyseven steps. He weighed a hair over twentytwo pounds, and had a ten and three quarter inch beard.

·
Registered
356 Posts
btt - why? Because it desrves to be seen!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
btt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts