Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard the term on forums in the past and I am on a small quest to find one. I need a light pistol with some power but not a rhino slaying wrist breaking 50. I may run into dogs, coyotes, cougars,snakes and two legged varmints tending to "crops". Don't really need to worry about bears. What do y'all use in your woods travels and things of that nature.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Too wide a range. For all but one of those, 38 sp or .357 mag will be fine.

For the "crop" tenders, you need a black rifle and several full mags. I assure you, that's what they will have, at the minimum....

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
i like a smith model 60 357 snub ,its a 5 shot .if you need more throw a few rounds in you're pocket .in fact i would ,then if you use it you can reload for you're trip back.you can shoot 38 s and snake shot .

·
Registered
953 Posts
Everything you mentioned that you might run into you can easily defend your self with something as small as a 9mm. I personally like to carry one of my Ruger Blackhawks in whatever caliber that screams at me that day.

Key

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Give me my S&W 686 357...

Let me add,i've carried a 22revolver with shot shells and used it on copperheads they don't work real good.
I've also carried my SBH 44 mag with shot shells,they work super good.
But the Smith just carries easier, I also have a Rossi 2" 357 I may carry in my pocket this season...

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I have been using a Ruger GP100 357 with 4" barrel revolver. There's a few reasons why I carry that gun.

It fires 38 special ammo in addition to 357 ammo. So its cheaper to target practice at the range to keep in shooting shape. 38 Special and 357 ammo is not so expensive that you never want to practice at the range.
It's a medium frame pistol, so it can handle 158 grain 357 ammo, which packs enough punch to stop a small to medium size black bear with one well placed round.
I am a licensed hunter and I can carry a side arm in our state while hunting with a rifle. Semi auto's are illegal to carry while hunting, it must be a revolver.
My 357 is not so big and cumbersome that it is uncomfortable to carry, provided you have a good holster and a good pistol belt that supports the gun and holster without sagging and digging into your leg.
You can usually buy a used 357 revolver without choking on the price when you go to your LGS to find one. A lot of revolvers were traded in when Glocks and other personal defense pistols became the craze. However, revolvers don't jam and semi autos can jam. Besides, I can't legally carry a semi anything for hunting or even scouting in my state.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Super Moderator
5,285 Posts
as a land surveyor, I do my share of "woods loafing", and bears, moose, rhino's, etc., aren't an issue here in NE Texas. When I was younger I had little fear of anything of nature when armed with nothing but my machete, and dealt the final blow to many copperheads and cotton mouths. Back then, we didn't have near the feral hog problems either. About 10 years ago I realized my machete speed may not be quite up to the task for the snakes that needed disposing of (we do NOT leave poisonous snakes in the trails we will be traversing multiple times), and the fact that the feral hogs have become so established that momma sows can be a threat when startled. I carried a cheap .22 with snake shot for several years when snakes were the only real threat, then started carrying .38 spl when the hogs first seemed like they could be an issue. I kept rusting out the blued models, then had a buddy tell me about trying to "finish off" a gut shot feral hog with a .38 spl with a head shot (he tried a frontal shot). For the last 3-1/2 years the love of my life has been a 3" stainless SP-101 in .357 mag. During the snake season (10 months per year here) I carry the front two with CCI shot shells, followed by three hot hard ball magnums. The stainless SP requires very, very little attention to keep it running, and I have full confidence that it can handle most anything I'll run into in the woods. Actually when I bought my LNIB 1993 vintage SP101 it was love at first sight and shot. I bought 2 boxes of "factory ammo" the day I bought the gun, and ordered basic reloading tools the next day.... and was reloading the next week. Three plus years later and, thousands of rounds later (and only 2 boxes of factory), I still think that 3 inch SP101 is the ideal "woods gun".

JD

·
Registered
661 Posts
.357 is the common selection for a good reason, ammo availability, ease of handling, size, etc.

That said...

I carry a 3" S&W .44 mag. As a reloader, ammo isn't an issue and I can download it to Special levels.

I find comfort in a 250g slug moving @ 900fps, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Well, I've used a .357 as a sidearm in the woods, but it never gives me that "warm and fuzzy", so I've gone to Ruger Single Actions in 44mag. I can still load them down (since I reload that caliber) or use 44spls if I really want tame, but honestly, a "mild" 44mag is a very effective round, I use 200gr LRNFP bullets with about 11gr's of Titegroup....great for close in work.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Realistically, if your area has a problem with folks tending crops, there isn't a good concealed carry solution for people who will be armed to the teeth. Your best bet is to back away from those situations and report them. If they see that you are armed- it's likely not going to go well.

For the other potential hazards in the area- a 4" 357 mag revolver that runs off moon clips is a good bet. With moon clips you can have one loaded with magnum hollow points for large threat- and one loaded with shot shells for Jake the Snake... provided Jake gives you a few seconds to switch.

The S&W 686 is a good choice.

M

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maudite,the area I'm in doesn't have a major problem with people that tend to " crops" but some folks steal things(like my favorite trail cam) and abuse pharmaceuticals so just two legged vermin in general is what I meant by that. I don't have much to worry about where I hunt and fish at right now, It is mainly the animals I need to worry about.

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
RUGERS 005.JPG Ruger Old Model Blackhawk 001.JPG
It would be one of these. Which one would depend on where, and how deep in I would be going.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Leverforever, since I doubt anyone will see me because I hunt and fish on private land I will probably just open carry

Reactions: Leverforever

·
Registered
395 Posts
I carry a S&W J frame 360sc 5 357 rounds.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Super Moderator
15,806 Posts
Here in the rainforest of the Pacific Northwest; there are a lot things that will bite you, stab you, or stick you. Because of my young age (64 next month), and futher being unable to run; I carry my Taurus® TRACKER™ Mdl 425SS4 in 41 Remington® Magnum. I want a handgun that will STOP THE THREAT, from man or beast; IMMEDIATELY RIGHT DOG GONE NOW! This gun fills that role superbly.....

1 - 20 of 91 Posts