Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "Waffle Top"

Hey all. I have a question about the 336 with the "waffle top". Which models of the 336 had the waffle top? I have been in search of one, the only one I ran across had been drilled and tapped for scope ::) so I passed. Any info will be awesome! Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: The "Waffle Top"

Anyone?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
Re: The "Waffle Top"

Hard to find waffle tops that haven't been drilled & tapped. I think if memory serves me they are until 1953 or 54. I have a 51 & a 52 that are waffle tops but both are drilled & tapped. I have a 55 that isn't a waffel top, just a dulled finish on the top.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,455 Posts
Re: The "Waffle Top"

1948 through 1952

My 1952, 336SC
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: The "Waffle Top"

Thanks guys. Sounds like its going to be a long search to fine one that isn't D&T'ed
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,094 Posts
Re: The "Waffle Top"

biggog said:
Hard to find waffle tops that haven't been drilled & tapped. I think if memory serves me they are until 1953 or 54. I have a 51 & a 52 that are waffle tops but both are drilled & tapped. I have a 55 that isn't a waffel top, just a dulled finish on the top.
You have an untapped 55? Care to post a pic? It'll be the first M prefix gun I'v seen untapped, though some literature says 56 was the first year, I think they started during 1955.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,094 Posts
Re: The "Waffle Top"

DDS444 said:
Thanks guys. Sounds like its going to be a long search to fine one that isn't D&T'ed
Nah, theyre out there. I have 2 clean 1951 35 Remington 336 waffle tops and one with holes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: The "Waffle Top"

Nah, theyre out there.
One can hope! :) Thanks for the info guys! By the way, were the waffle tops RC models?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,694 Posts
Re: The "Waffle Top"

336A waffel top untapped. At Gander Mountain Palm Beach Gardens Fl. some rust spots. $299. 30-30 Could nor see SN due to gun lock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,455 Posts
Re: The "Waffle Top"

DDS444 said:
One can hope! :) Thanks for the info guys! By the way, were the waffle tops RC models?
Not exactly sure what you're asking.
Marlin made 336A, 336RC, and 336SC, in those years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: The "Waffle Top"

Sorry for the confusion Plumber. What I meant was the waffle top on all 336s at that time or just specific ones like a 336RC for example. And Gaterskinner, I wish I could tell if someone drilled and tapped it for a scope mount. I guess looking at that rifle kind answers my question since I have seen an 336RC with the waffle top and now this 336SC.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
Re: The "Waffle Top"

Leverdude: I guess I didn't say it so it wasn't confusing. My 55 RC is drilled & tapped but it has the dull finish on it. My 51 & 52 models are waffel tops but they both had scopes on them when I bought them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Re: The "Waffle Top"

I have a 1950 336RC (serial #G) that has the waffle top and has not been drilled. I recently bought it from a friend that way. It had been in his family for some time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Re: The "Waffle Top"

DDS444 said:
Thanks guys. Sounds like its going to be a long search to fine one that isn't D&T'ed
There's a bunch of them out there, one will come along.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,455 Posts
Re: The "Waffle Top"

DDS444 said:
Sorry for the confusion Plumber. What I meant was the waffle top on all 336s at that time or just specific ones like a 336RC for example. And Gaterskinner, I wish I could tell if someone drilled and tapped it for a scope mount. I guess looking at that rifle kind answers my question since I have seen an 336RC with the waffle top and now this 336SC.
What are you looking for?
336RC
336SC
336A
What caliber?
32 special
35 remington
or other
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Re: The "Waffle Top"

The Gun shop near my home has a 336SC waffle top with peep sight installed. No rear sight has blankoff spacer. Is not D&T. Says it's a 1950 year model. Wants $490. It's Lee Barrett in SC. [email protected] or Ph, 864-six four seven-6046.

If your interested. I just looked at it today, Lee said it was a one owner if I remember correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Re: The "Waffle Top"

I agree, stop at gun shops in your travels and go to gun shows. I just bought a 1951 336 SC like new untapped for $325. They guy thought it was a 70's or 80's model but I knew it was much older due to waffle top but didn't know how old and man was I pleased when I got home, cleaned it and looked it up. One of my favorites. Good luck in your search.

Jim
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top