Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ya'll. Now I know that most folks here including myself hunt/shoot mostly with 22 LR or 17HMR/H2/Aguila but dagnabbit!!!!, I hunted squirrels and rabbits a bunch when I was much littler with the good old 22 short. Of course back then 22 short was cheaper which was probably the main reason my Dad taught me to use em, and there were a lot more loadings. Also, it seems like old guns shot em more consistent. SOOOOO.......how many of ya'll still use em?????

I have one dedicated short gun and am working on 2 or 3 more, maybe just for nostalgia but maybe also because they are quieter.

C'mon everybody.......how many of you have had a nice quiet squack hunt in the early mornin woods with 22 shorts? Tell me your stories and share some tips!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I also used nothing but shorts while growing up. I used them well into my twenties then found that most rifles would not shoot them accurately. Shorts need a slower rifling twist to stabilize the bullet. The older rifles shot them quite well. I am a fan of the 22 short and wish they made a rifle for that round. I know browning makes their 22 auto in short but is it rifled for shorts? I had a nylon 66GS which shot shorts very accurately. To make a rifle just for shorts, I think, would be very expensive. Ty Cobb is making one and apparently Oldfart is making one. Maybe you folks can let us in on how the barrels shoot those shorts and how the cost is to make one.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I have 2 rifles that I use shorts in on occasion. I use the CCI cb short in my relined Marlin No.20 pump, with quite reasonable accuracy from a light weight gun.

I also use the short in my 39-A- the high velocity hollow point shoots well. While the 39-A may have a faster twist rate, I am hard pressed to see a difference in accuracy from L.R.'s in it at the small game ranges I encounter early in the season.

Volquartsen made a 10-22 clone chambered for the short only- dunno if it's still in production or not. I recall it being quite pricey.......

Around here, the short is about a buck fifty more for a 50 box than it's long rifle cousin.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
20 Posts
memories

talking about those 22 shorts. sure does bring back a lot of memories. when I came up that was all I thaught was made. usted to buy them loose 2 for a penny. had a single shot rimington.dont rember no hollar points. we usted to bite the bullet off to make more blank.shoot a sparrow and all was left was the wings.when got little older got me a rimmington 22 auto it would shoot them all. but i only used the shorts. me and my brother and a few other people go squirrel hunting they all used shot guns. me i used the 22 with shorts. always killed more sq than they did.also **** hunted with them I had no trouble putting a **** on the grown with them.killed a lot of rabbits .that 22 auto rimmington shot them verry accurate. it was the one I think 552 like the speed master now. looked like it but came out before it did.wasn't called that name.

[good hunting] AL

·
Banned
843 Posts
Heck, I use shorts in my 39a, they cycle and shoot well, and are pretty quiet; hardly any crack. I get a few flyers with the remington, but the winchester's seem loaded hotter and more uniform. Both claim about 1050fps with 29grains. Accuracy is more open groups than the nice Wolf target ammo.

................TM7

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sarge-I don't know if the Browning is rifled for shorts, I'll see if I can find out. Having the chamber shorter sure helps though. As to how much it takes to build a 10/22 short:

1)cheapest used 10/22 you can find +
2)barrel 100 bucks+
3)Stock for .920 dia. bbl 119 bucks+
3)Short conversion kit with short mag 189 bucks
With shipping on the parts looks like about 435 bucks before mounting a scope plus the cheapest POS 10/22 you can find. This will have a great stock and barrel. If you want to squeeze good accuracy out of it(or great accuracy) then there will be trigger/spring parts, whatever scope you choose, and probably some bedding. Not exactly cheap! Some people also use some JB Weld when they insert the bbl into the receiver. Of course with that size bbl it ain't gonna be light for carrying either.

The Browning is light and I like it a lot. My Dad has an old Reminton semi-auto short only gun which works pretty well but no scope. I'm thinking about picking one up on Gunbroker.

Doc Sharptail: Anytime you want to get rid of that pump jus let me know :lol: :lol:

I've got an old Marlin 101 single shot that does pretty good with shorts. And it's pre-serial number!!

My 39A feeds shorts allright but it throws too many fliers to suit me so I put a Lyman peep sight on it and sighted it at 25 yards with T-22's. It'll put em in a one inch orange target dot all day. I tried Wolf MT in it but for some reason the extractor kept ripping through the rim and leaving the casing. I had to take a cleaning rod to the range with me!! Bad lot of ammo maybe. I dunno.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yup, I still use 'em. I use the .22 short CB's in my '57 39A all the time on the wiley chipmunks in the backyard or for squirrel in areas too close to residential areas where .22 lr's or a shotgun would be out of the question. At distances of 100 feet or less those little buggers retain a heck of a lot of energy and are quieter than a pellet gun.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mojo^ said:
Yup, I still use 'em. I use the .22 short CB's in my '57 39A all the time on the wiley chipmunks in the backyard or for squirrel in areas too close to residential areas where .22 lr's or a shotgun would be out of the question. At distances of 100 feet or less those little buggers retain a heck of a lot of energy and are quieter than a pellet gun.

Yep.....those CB's are good. In the winter I sometimes use em to shoot a mouse or two while I'm watchin tv. I use a single six. Can't seem to keep all the mice out no matter what I do. :twisted: :lol:

G

·
I have a 1890 Winchester , it was given to me by my grandfather when I graduated high school. He had bought this gun new in the 20's. It is only chambered for 22 Short. I bet a pickup truck wouldn't hold the squirrels he killed with that little rifle over the years :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
:lol: Growing up in the 40s about all we could afford were shorts and as was mentioned 2 for a nickle was the going rate.I was careful as heck to be sure I brought home at least one piece of dinner out of the two shots. As a young lad the times were tough but didn't know it at the time cause I'd never had it any other way.I used a Remington Improved #6 rolling block rifle and worked at improving my skill level. Shot pheasant,quail, ducks,occasionally a goose,rabbits of all types and all in the head. Mustn't mess up the eatin meat. At one occasion even downed a spike buck by hitting it in the base of the ear.Only one I ever shot with a short.Died instantly. As years passed I had just about forgotten the shorts and the humane way they dealt death. Then on a varmint hunt into Nevada while I was in my thirties,we stopped at a mountain resort between stands for a little libation and a burger. At the bar was a skin of a Cougar drapped over the end of the bar.Wow,what a huge one it was too.Asking about it came the reply that a local CAT hunter had treed it with his dogs and shot it out of a tree. Interested in the caliber used I was informed that the old man never used anything but an old single shot 22 with shorts.One shot was all he ever needed.Since then I found another REM. Improved #6 and have a LARGE supply of 22 shorts to go with it. I hope one day to teach my grandsons a daughter to shoot that rifle.With hope that they enjoy it nearly as much as I will teaching them. OH yeah that lion weighed 267 pounds.Good hunting. modoc :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hearing stories like this makes one wonder why there is so much hoopla over the latest and greatest rifle cartridge when something as plain and simple as a .22 short is quite adequate for taking game.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The short is adequate if it is used within it's limitations. The key here, of course , is in knowing what those limitations are. Range is one of them. Big hint here: it ain't called the short only for it's over all length. :wink:

As a sometimes user of the short, I realize there are some shooting tasks that are much better served by more adequate cartridges.While the short has been used for everything from mice to moose to men, I will limit my use of the cartridge to small game at fairly close ranges.The last few weeks of the season sees shots at ranges well over 50 yds for me- due to lack of cover. This is when the short is relegated to the ammo box, and the long rifle takes over.

The new rifle cartridges, especially the HMR and HM-2 and Aguila do have their purposes. One of those purposes is to sell guns. I don't really have a problem with that at all. I am very interested in the Aguila as a small game round. I'll wait for a few more actual user's reports from the field before I make a decision on this. The other two rounds hold little interest for me...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
706 Posts
There is nothing that hasn’t already been said so I will just add that I too grew up using the .22 shorts. :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think it is the same guy, that silver one with the squirrel and duck engraving sure looks nice, if it wasent property tax time again, I'd done bought it.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
There nice for sure ,, way out of my price range ... Ty ,, did you get married yet? :lol:

·
Registered
87 Posts
A long time ago,,,,,,,when I was a kid,,,,I pen raised quail. Had lots of them. Used to turn them loose ocasionally to try to help mother nature with the quail population that was dwindling here in my area. I ate some of them too,,,,,,they were tasty....

Anyway, some dogs started ripping my quail pens apart at night and killing lots of my birds. I waited. When I caught them in the act, a .22 short fired in a Remington improved model 6 falling block single shot rifle sent a big, maybe 70 lb., german shepard to the doggy graveyard. Later I killed another big mixed breed dog with a similar shot. Range was about 30 yards.

The .22 short can do a lot if the shot is placed right.

My grandad used to use it to kill hogs and cows with a well placed shot in the brain at point blank range.

·
Registered
87 Posts
forgot to mention that I use them too sometimes in my Single Six for squirrels. I like using the pistol. Sometimes I just use them for old times sake and my pistol shoots them quite well. Sometimes the rest of the squirrels dont even run away at the crack of the short.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts