Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Those old wooden john boats were so cool. They were long gone by time I started floating as well as the expedition services. Nothing like a multi day float with over-nighters on a gravel bar.
I've spent many nights on Ozark streams.
I did an overnight on the Eleven Point river and the air over the gravel bar was so thick with insects, midges I think since they weren't biting, that we had to almost lay down on the gravel around the campfire to stay out of the cloud. That was an interesting float as the next day we all got caught in a thunderstorm while in our aluminum canoes.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I did an overnight on the Eleven Point river and the air over the gravel bar was so thick with insects, midges I think since they weren't biting, that we had to almost lay down on the gravel around the campfire to stay out of the cloud. That was an interesting float as the next day we all got caught in a thunderstorm while in our aluminum canoes.
I've only floated the Eleven Point once and it was at flood stage, Beautiful area that is mostly wilderness, a lot less people down there.
Campsites on the Eleven point are harder to come by as there are very few gravel bars. We had to tie up our canoes in a small cove and hike all our gear up a hill to camp.

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts
I've traveled all over the world and seen many things but the Ozarks will always be special to me, it is unique and a place unto its own.
Agree - one of the best things about the Marines, I got to see an awful lot of the world, places I'd never have visited on my own. Amazing places and people out there. Folks ought to travel a bit.

Great video - I cracked up at a couple of lines in it. "Like a fickle female..." had me almost spilling my coffee. Try that one now...

Again - thank - I thoroughly enjoyed the video - and I swear "one of these days" I'm going to hop on the ol' Suzuki and make that long-slow coast-to-coast tour, taking my time.

Guy

·
Super Moderator
23,641 Posts
Spent a lot of time on the Ozarks but most of it was in the Mark Twain National Forrest that mostly surrounds Ft. Leonard Wood. Great whitetail hunting to be had there. I also spent a lot of afternoons fishing the Big Piney River overflow ponds on the NE edge of the Fort IVO a large gravel pit. Caught largemouth/smallmouth/crappie/stripers and some times rainbows that got into the river after being stocked in the local streams.

·
Super Moderator
23,641 Posts
Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks. Interesting video. Went on the Jacks Fork and Current in '67.

Do you remember when the Corp of Engineers wanted to dam the Meramec? That was one of the first successful efforts I can remember of the locals resisting government "improvements".

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks. Interesting video. Went on the Jacks Fork and Current in '67.

Do you remember when the Corp of Engineers wanted to dam the Merimac?
I remember it well, I had bumper stickers on my car against it, we loved floating the Huzzah and Courtios and parts of them would have been flooded.

Many fought hard to defeat it and I am so proud the rivers were saved.

The Meramec Basin Project - A Look Back 25 Years Later

Attachments

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Great video.

I was born in Missouri and my family is still there. My Mother's people moved into the Ozarks in the early 1800's. My Father's Great Grandfather brought his family there shortly after the War of 1812. I spent considerable time in that country growing up and still visit the old cemeteries (well off the beaten paths) where my ancestors are buried.

Beautiful county. Thanks for posting

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
I think we camped at every park on the Current, our favoret was Ally Springs the corner spot by spring stream & Jacksfork. When I was a kid there were no showers only out houses, you took a bath in the river.Wading was fun but could get spooky as you might be knee deep one more step you were in 10' of water it was that clear. We used to get the mesh potato sacks to keep melons & drinks cold in the spring stream 51 deg yr round. Man do I miss that.

Reactions: Waffletop
21 - 34 of 34 Posts