Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Current river is still as beautiful as ever, however float trips on summer weekends are a mob scene of canoes and rafts filled with wild partiers.
If you want peace and quiet and want to fish you have to go during the week.

·
Registered
29,110 Posts
The Current river is still as beautiful as ever, however float trips on summer weekends are a mob scene of canoes and rafts filled with wild partiers.
If you want peace and quiet and want to fish you have to go during the week.
Waffletop it's the same here in south Louisiana. I don't fish weekends at all! During the week no problem! So many people wanting to follow you anywhere hoping to find fishing spots I've been knowing for years! I can go on and on, but you catch what I'm talking about!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I used to float the Current in my youth, but it has gotten to crazy for me. Way too many drunk people there on the weekends for my liking.

·
Registered
29,110 Posts
I'd be afraid to float in a canoe down there with all the Alligators.

Gators aren't the problem! It's the hot-shots with the 60-80-mph boats looking to run you over! Idiots with no common sense on boating rules and regulations!

I've towed so many morons in not because of motor failure! Out of gas! It's even worse when you don't get a "Thanks or money for your gas"!

My rant is over! Sorry!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
817 Posts
I haven't floated the Current in a number of years but I used to consider the Pulltight to Round Spring float as one of the best in Missouri. It also had the advantage of being in the middle section of the river and somewhat removed from the bigger party campgrounds around Salem in the North or Van'Buren to the south so that section wasn't quite as crowded or party central.

As far as crowds go the Current was usually a bit better than the Meremac or Black Rivers and being part of the National Park System as the Ozark Scenic Riverways means that there are at least some regulations https://www.nps.gov/ozar/learn/management/lawsandpolicies.htm regarding floating the Current and Jack's Fork rivers as opposed to the others which essentially have none. How well those are enforced are another matter but they do exist as opposed to the Meremec or Black which are just free for all's.

The best float I've done in recent years was an overnight float the upper Jack's Fork (a tributary of the current) on the first week of June. The downside that float is only doable up until the end of may/early june or water levels in certain sections of the river are too low after that. The upside was that most of the time we were alone on the river despite the fact it was the weekend after Memorial Day.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The best float I've done in recent years was an overnight float the upper Jack's Fork (a tributary of the current) on the first week of June. The downside that float is only doable up until the end of may/early june or water levels in certain sections of the river are too low after that. The upside was that most of the time we were alone on the river despite the fact it was the weekend after Memorial Day.
I like the upper Jack's fork in spring also, I've done a couple over-nighters there. The upper Current is nice also, The lower Current has too many jet boats now and the wake's they leave are enough to swamp a canoe.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We used to float the Courtois every weekend back in the 70's and catch stringers full of fish. Back then there were only aluminum canoes on the water and a whole lot less people.
It's a parade of idiots now.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
"It's a parade of idiots now."

Bloody Tourists! :embarassed:

Mike T.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I never went to the Buffalo because of crowds, did go see elk one time in the fall. I fish the Little Red or the White rivers when I ever get a chance.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never went to the Buffalo because of crowds, did go see elk one time in the fall. I fish the Little Red or the White rivers when I ever get a chance.
Buffalo is the gem of the Ozarks, even better than the Current. Go during the week in the spring and start at Ponca, the bluffs are awesome. You have to watch the water levels at the Ponca bridge. Buffalo can be a killer if the water is too high. You can only put in at Ponca in the spring otherwise the water levels are too low. I would like to go one more time, it's a long drive for me.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Thanks Waffletop.....boy o boy does that bring back some great memories!!! I first floated the Current as a Boy Scout and fell in love with the river. In later years a buddy of mine and I floated and fished the Current for small mouth bass on a regular basis. I was also a member of a Caving Organization (National Speleological Society) that mapped out unexplored caves in Missouri for the state, and a fair number of those caves were in the vicinity of the Current River. I need to put that on my bucket list......have not been there in many, many years!!!! Fond memories of the great outdoors!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those old wooden john boats were so cool. They were long gone by time I started floating as well as the expedition services. Nothing like a multi day float with over-nighters on a gravel bar.
I've spent many nights on Ozark streams.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts