Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sunday morning. Hadn't left the station when the I get the call to assist an ambulance at a residence 3 minutes away. No ambulance when I get there, a frantic elderly lady freaking out that her husband is having a heart attack. He was stone cold dead, for at least 2 hours, rigor setting in. The poor wife pounces on him giving chest compression. She realizes he is gone and settles down. He is staring at the ceiling and she freaks out again running circles around her house hollering for an ambulance that should have been there by now. His eyes are still wide open, I touch the lids and close them, I always thought that was just a TV gimmick. It works. Ambulance arrives and transports the body.

Just get done with that and my call is an injured child in the driveway. The rescue squad is there. A friend had been pulling out of the driveway in her car and runs over a little girl chest. It was a Mercury Marquise. I won't describe the trauma to that 5 year old beautiful child - it haunts me to this day 45 years later.

Rest of the day goes on normally...until it's time to return to the station, end of shift. "Ahh, I'm on way way home" A truck in front of me, a 1964 F100 Ford (how the heck I remember that when I forget my adversary!??) goes into a left turn at the intersection, goes wide to the right, up over the curb, onto the sidewalk and comes to a stop crashing into a concrete power pole head on. Maybe 5 mph. It was just of the driveway of the rescue station that has responded to my last call. The driver was doing the mullet flop convulsing as he passes away. The steering shaft pushed the wheel into his chest. Damn! He could not have been going much more than 5 mph.

I'm ending my shift, and lo and behold there on the bulletin board is the Ford Truck guy's wanted poster on the wall! I still remember his name to this day.

AC

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Hey AC,

That..........was a BAD day....

Later, Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know how you feel. Never had a day that bad, but had some awful weeks. Take care of yourself and talk to people, we're here to share the load. Times have change for the better in LE with regards to mental health.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts