Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One more afternoon deer hunt left, the Mossberg,"English Premier Walnut" stock will go play, no rain in the forecast!!! I kinda treat the XS7 like a "red headed stepchild", as much as I love it, it has a synthetic stock, so it gets the call in rainy weather, never complains, and shoots "lights out", 7MM-08. So it got the take-apart, end of season cleaning, and is back "home", in the gun cabinet. Thanks to the Good Lord, another season in the books, as they say, hope y'all had a good one, and a Happy New Year to all!!! T Rex

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
One more afternoon deer hunt left, the Mossberg,"English Premier Walnut" stock will go play, no rain in the forecast!!! I kinda treat the XS7 like a "red headed stepchild", as much as I love it, it has a synthetic stock, so it gets the call in rainy weather, never complains, and shoots "lights out", 7MM-08. So it got the take-apart, end of season cleaning, and is back "home", in the gun cabinet. Thanks to the Good Lord, another season in the books, as they say, hope y'all had a good one, and a Happy New Year to all!!! T Rex
I'm fixin to go myself.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Anyone remember the original Hoppes aroma?

Hoppes No 9 was reformulated about 40 years ago due to concerns over one of the solvents. Not sure what was in it origanally, but it smelled more of cloves. Wonderful. Occasionally I'll still run across an original formula can with some still in it.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Hey T Rex - not quite done with deer hunting yet. The 4-day muzzleloading season starts this coming Saturday, and I'll hunt every morning/late afternoon that weather permits. I'm only allowed 3 deer per year (only 1 of which can be a buck). I "bucked out" back in late November, but I'm still good for two girly deer.

Speaking of the smell of Hoppe's #9, my breech-loading gun cleaning is done far from my wife's nose (the workbench just isn't close to the "living area" of the house). However, cleaning my ML deer rifle is done in the kitchen sink because of the need for hot, soapy water. My wife always complains about the sulfur smell. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Judson, best of luck to ya!!! Congrats on your buck. As usual on MO, very interesting replies, and appreciated. My wife doesn,t care for the smell either!! For me, due to the current condition of our country, and world for that matter, I'm 71 this year, and the state of our country "bugs" the hell out of me, my dad was a hunter, and raised me hunting, guns are under attack, hunting is under attack, and the smell of Hoppes even for a little while takes me to a "happy place"!! Didn't mean to get "long winded", just my thoughts this AM!! T Rex

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
yup got home on Monday afternoon and began the process of cleaning a few firearms from a long wet and warm hunting season. I had the following odors coming from the gun cleaning room, Hoppes #9, Butches bore cleaner, frog lube, ahhh a good day of cleaning guns.

It was a good hunting season and I got considerably more seat time than I expected and got a freezer full of meat. but since the rut in November all the deer seem to have gone nocturnal and only saw signs but no deer. The Carolina boys were running dogs on Monday and ran all the deer right past me in the am. Unfortunately they were between me and the road so no shots taken, just laughed out load as I was once again in the wrong place at the right time.................

so a good way to end the season seeing the white flags dancing across the field towards the road..........till next year ...................

now it is time to turn my attention to the farm, improving my food plots, and pruning the blueberry bushes............

1 - 20 of 40 Posts