Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That old Marlin siren song is ringing in my ears guys.

I just came from an encounter with Marlin 336RC, 30-30, 100 year anniversary medallion model in darn good shape for $339. I might get him to move on it but didn't push it this visit. Believe it or not, I don't own a 30-30 at this time and never have. I shot my first deer with a savage bolt action 30-30 back in 1978. It was a doe and my Dad was standing right beside me. A couple hours later he shot his first and I was standing beside him. Pretty cool really. In 79 I shot my first buck with the same rifle. He was about 6 feet off the ground and about 30 yards away when I shot. Folded up like a dove and bounced when he hit the ground. That bullet took out about 18 inches of spine and didn't even TRY to bounce off like some folks say they do.

Got two young boys to think about too. The oldest has his own 35 Remington but the little one doesn't have a deer rifle yet. They're 10 and 7 so it won't be long till the youngest is coming along and totin' his own rifle.

Well, I already know the answers I'm gonna get here but lets hear 'em anyway. I still need convincing.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Dave Bulla said:
Well, I already know the answers I'm gonna get here but lets hear 'em anyway. I still need convincing.
To put it short, I sold all of my guns except for one .30-06 BAR Safari with BOSS. This gun shoots sub MOA groups all day long. It's caliber is good for anything that walks in North America. I didn't made it a single year after going down to one gun before I realized that I screwed up and needed a .30-30 lever gun again. I won't make that mistake twice. Every hunter needs a .22, every hunter needs a .30-30. Marlin makes the best .30-30 that I've shot yet.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
That's a great price on a 1970?? 336 30-30 in good condition.If it was me I would be owning that one, at least till the youngest was old enough to tote it by himself. JD

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
That's a great price on 336 in darn good shape, especially considering that they aren't being made at that quality level anymore. In my experience the 60's and 70's Marlins have outstanding fit and finish, you can really tell that the craftsmanship and skill that went into them was first rate. When you think about it, it's really astounding how much you get for the dollar here.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, forgot to mention that it has a scope already. I forget exactly what scope it was but either Bushnell, Banner or Burris. Something with a "B"then a second name I'm thinking was "fullfield"??? Wasn't very clear but a good cleaning of the front lens looked like it would help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts