Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IMG_20180629_095115.jpg New to me 1947 model 81 in .30 caliber. Original except the side mount scope with Weaver K2.5. I Need to make a spanner for barrel bushing and nut. Must disassemble clean and inspect, then range. IMG_20180629_095215.jpg

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I have the tool to take my barrels off also, not that one but another. be very carful when taking the bushing out! the pressure on that spring will knock your eye or teeth out! BE CARFUL!,,,,,that is a good rifle you have! the only 35 cal. I have is not a marlin but a model 8 and an 81,,,,,,

·
Registered
22,106 Posts
I have the tool to take my barrels off also, not that one but another. be very carful when taking the bushing out! the pressure on that spring will knock your eye or teeth out! BE CARFUL!,,,,,that is a good rifle you have! the only 35 cal. I have is not a marlin but a model 8 and an 81,,,,,,
This is a man who knows his 8s and 81s! be careful.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Olskool. I appreciate the "Warning". They are great rifles and a piece of history. Looking for an 81 in .25 scarce but a few made in 36-37 with m-8 barrels or an 8 if you run across one that needs rescued from the pawn shop.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Clipper -

Check out this forum. I got a barrel nut wrench for my Model 8 made by Rob. It works like a champ, and didn't cost much at all.

Ten minute barrel nut tool - thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com

Hope this helps...
Thanks Wisco member there as well. Another interesting thread within that thread. And a suggestion to use a shotgun choke wrench which I have a few. The milled 3/4 G8 nut with the d&t for screw looks most promising. Both barrel nut & bushing in 1 tool.
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4606&p=17396&hilit=barrel+bushing&sid=d5cd144a91cf046af4b3391b5a55e30d#p17396

·
Registered
12,955 Posts
I been known to dabble in 8s & 81s and first thing I look at is barrel bushing. If Bubba has been there with channel locks or pipe
wrench it kills my interest right off. I have had several 14s in 25Rem but 8 & 81 in 25 aren't often seen in this area. The first time
I took bushing out of a 8 it got away from me. Almost took me in the face, took me a while to find it and it put a divot in the ceiling
tile. I've been fooling with a 81 in 300Savage and a 308 doesn't have much on it. Been shooting bulk pulled GI FMJ bullets and its
shooting better than I can hold it. Off bench I have got a couple groups under 2" at 100yds ( reciever sight )

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tried that - just my experience, but the Winchoke didn't work for me. It was too flimsy (or I was too ham handed)
Wisco I ended up making one out of air grinders chuck wrench. Worked well for this rifle, it has been apart within the last few years. Not rust or damage internally, no damage to barrel nut or bushing. Disassmbly of the receiver today. Bore and chamber in excellent condition.

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well after disassembly it doesn't look like today is going to be a range day for the 81. Broken firing pin. On order along with a few other parts for a 39, 56 and 14.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
_MG_4119.jpg when I bought this 1933 vintage model in 35 a few years ago I loaded up some rounds and went outside to my range and "click" I also had a broken firing pin. I ordered one and all has been good,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
when I bought this 1933 vintage model in 35 a few years ago I loaded up some rounds and went outside to my range and "click" I also had a broken firing pin. I ordered one and all has been good,,,,,,,,,,,
OLSKOOL - That one's in really nice shape! Mine was a real basket case when I got it. Didn't pay much for it, but I had to replace the stock and forend (both cracked). There was a fair amount of pitting on the receiver and barrel - looked like someone put it away wet. Anyway, I cleaned it up as best as I could and did a Duracoat finish. All in all, it came out okay for my purposes - not a pro job by any means.

DSCF3819.JPG

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
OLSKOOL - That one's in really nice shape! Mine was a real basket case when I got it. Didn't pay much for it, but I had to replace the stock and forend (both cracked). There was a fair amount of pitting on the receiver and barrel - looked like someone put it away wet. Anyway, I cleaned it up as best as I could and did a Duracoat finish. All in all, it came out okay for my purposes - not a pro job by any means.

View attachment 720116
mode l81 (1).JPG my early model 81, 1938 is the best one I have. it is nice and in 35 rem. caliber and it is a shooter and deer killing machine,,,,,,, DSCF7021.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts