Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally I got my 336. It only took looking through 9 different stores and calling 5 others within a 3 hour radius of where I live. Ending up driving almost 3 hours to Cabelas in Hamburg PA (I live near Binghamton NY). I had about 10 used 336's that I could choose from and the decision making took about half an hour (my wife was getting bored). There was a 336 there with a real nice stock but the blueing was coming off quite a bit on the tube. So i opted for the one with perfect blueing and a few dings in the furniture which I can sand out someday if I want. It came with a tasco 3-9x40 scope which I didnt really care anything about, but will keep it on. The first 2 digits of the serial number are "18" does this mean the gun is from 1982?

Heres a crappy picture from my phone, i'll take better ones later.

Friday i'll shoot it and see if it dont blow up in my face :)
p.s. It was $350

Dano

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Geetergod, looks like you gotter done. ;D Good start to Marlinitis right there. DP

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
good for you. I just got myself one too. I've been waiting a while just like you. give us more pictures and a range report when you can.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Looks like you found a good one, congrats :)

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Very nice you done good my friend welcome to the addiction!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took the gun to my parents house to throw some bullets into a piece of paper. Couldnt hit a darn thing with it, gun works great, cycles great and the trigger is awesome. Went to adjust the height on the screw, started unscrewing the rubber cap on it and the whole dial came off! haha. The threads are all stripped out and someone tried to cobble it back out. Im guessing thats why I couldnt hit a darn thing, the scope probably moved everytime I shot it. :p Its a tasco scope, think if I give tasco a call and tell them what happened they might replace it for me? It'd be cool if they did, and if not, I dont really care.

Dano

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Its a tasco scope, think if I give tasco a call and tell them what happened they might replace it for me? It'd be cool if they did, and if not, I dont really care.
Just throw it in the trash. Go sight in your iron sights and save your lunch money up. Go get a good scope like a Nikon or a new Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm. I would love to put a Leupold VX-3 1.5-6x32mm on my 336C made in 1971 & I will eventually do just that.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/prostaff/2-7x32_Nikoplex/6719

http://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-1-75-6x32mm/

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The scope was just a throw in at that price. try shooting it with just the factory sights. as long as everything is straight it should shoot pretty good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Factory sites looks good on the gun. I see people talking on the forums about their sites not being centered on there barrels, is that because the site was placed wrong or the barrel isnt right? I noticed the other marlins at the store seemed like the rear sites werent centered on the barrel? was that just an optical illusion or was it wrong? Mine seem to be sitting perfectly on top. Also, if I take the scope mount bracket off the top of the receiver do I need shorter screws to put back in or will they not bottom out? Seems like they would use longer screws to compensate the thickness or the scope mount. Thanks, love the gun!!! But why do I get the feeling I already want another one? (eyes glaze over)

Dano

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You probably read a post like the one I wrote but that is for a misalligned barrel. The thing that actually is off is the dovetail the sight sits in and not the actual sight. They can be moved back and forth in the dovetail. Yours should be just fine cause it comes from a time and place where companies actually cared about the product they sold. ;D

·
Registered
728 Posts
Geeter,
Don;t put the scope base screws back in - they're too long and not made for that. You need filler screws (like tiny little set screws). You can get them from a gunshop, or from Midway or Brownells, or Marlin.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Like Stretch said, don't put the scope base screws back into the top of the rifle. They may be long enough to hit the top of the bolt and bind it up. Most any gun shop has filler screws. Turn the plug screws in only until they are even with the top of the receiver. I generally put a drop of my wife's fingernail polish on the threads first so they won't move under recoil, but can still be removed with a screwdriver.
From the picture it appears you have a nice rifle. Hope you follow up with better pictures and a potential range report soon. Shenandoah

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Factory sites looks good on the gun. I see people talking on the forums about their sites not being centered on there barrels, is that because the site was placed wrong or the barrel isnt right?
Yep. But you have a rifle made by people who knew what they were doing. You should have very little to do as far as sighting in with the irons. If it hits too high, lower the rear sight one notch at a time. If it hits too low, raise the rear sight one notch. If it hits too far right, drift the rear sight to the left a smidge. If it hits too far left, drift the rear sight to the right a smidge. Start at 25 yards to begin with. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good for you on a fine purchase. As to looking for scopes, you'll find that it'll take just as long to decide on one as it did for you to find your new rifle.
Del

1 - 17 of 17 Posts