Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local distributor has these for 149.99 and I am sorely tempted by this price. Box magazine, blued, synthetic stock.

Your direct and unedited opinion of the rifle, its accuracy and the value for the price listed would be appreciated. I believe they are made in Canada, or at least that's what I remember.

I know it's not a Marlin but we can take a break from the usual routine.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Awhile back I looked at every maker's .17hmr, as I was trying to decide which one I would buy. After the dust settled, I thought the Savage was the best bargain for the money.
I didn't buy the Savage, because of two things. I don't like plastic stocks and trigger guards, and the trigger was horrendous. I did look at the birch stocked version, which my dealer had for $169, but I still couldn't get past the trigger guard and trigger.
Ended up buying the CZ 452, which I felt was the nicest all around for the dollars.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Rifle Basix!

A rifle Basix trigger would have cured that Savage. Alsom the Savage triggers are pretty well designed- they can be smithed to perfection. I have a Savage Striker pistol in 22WMR I put the RB trigger on, Nice! CZ'a are cream! How does yours shoot?

"Small Caliber News" (a super fine, tho somewhat obscure magazine) has an article on the Savage 17HMR. The author really liked it and it shot well. ~Andrew

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andrew, Marlinman, I bought it yesterday before I had a chance to read your posts, and I don't feel too bad about it. My impression was the same as yours, but I haven't tried the trigger yet as I don't like dry firing rimfires. I'll drag it along and fire a few rounds this afternoon even though it does not yet have a scope.

Liked the idea of the Weaver type bases being already mounted-those are superior to a grooved receiver anyway. Marlinman, agree that the trigger guard of a one piece moulded stock doesn't look quite right, but my SQ has the same thing and I am used to it. The trigger is a stamping that isn't well finished and should be black instead of silver. The gun generally has a lighter contour receiver (thinner tube) than the Marlin, but the machine work is pretty well done and it definitely doesn't feel tinny or cheap. The bolt is nice and snug, and the root of the bolt handle bears along its entire surface. The rifle is quite light and handy.

The stock is a little smaller in dimensions than the Marlin, and is less "full" to my cheek. I am not a small guy but I can live with it. The magazine does not lock into place unless the bolt is open when it is seated, so you are limited to the five rounds in the magazine. It rides on a thick metal rail that guides it into place. This seems to be a pretty good setup, as the magazine is rigidly supported and absolutely does not move, wobble or make any noise when it is locked in. The walls of the magazine are very rigid, thick sheet metal, and overall I'd rate it as superior to the Marlin's magazine.

Now to see how it shoots. You gentlemen's comments give me hope. Andrew, I'll look into the Basix trigger (how much?) if it's a turkey for pull weight on the Savage. I'd like to keep it fairly cheap, and if it costs a lot to make it tolerable I might have been better off buying something else. Another thought is that most rifles in the "bargain" or "reasonable" range don't have great triggers anyway, so oh, well, this won't kill me.

I didn't want to spend much money in case the .17 didn't agree with me as far as utility. The CCI are going for 7.99 around here, the plastic tipped stuff 9.99. Finally getting my feet wet in a rimfire subcaliber.

G

·
I bought a savage with the heavy barrel. I put the basix trigger in it but I must say I was less than impressed with it. It functions great once I re-worked it and "Bob" neglected to put in the instructions to remove some of the wood in the stock under the set nut. If you have a good gunsmith who is reasonable and close by you might just have him do a trigger job, it could save you some headache and maybe some money. As far as the gun itself goes I put a Swift 6-18 scope on it and from the bench at 75 yrds it will shoot 3 shot groups under a dime every time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I shoot Hornaday.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just bought one 2 weeks ago and was really impressed with it, im a LH and Savage has one in LH so i got it, it has the wooden stock which is nice, the accuracy is WONDERFUL, the more i shoot this rifle the more i like it, the trigger is not a problem for me, i am shooting sub dime groups at 50 yards so im not going to bitch. i love it and it is a good deal on money. Good luck, mine likes the cci TNT bullets. Thanks, BEN

G

·
I had the synthetic Savage, and it was a good shooter, but my 17V is considerably better with it's favorite ammo(Hornady). The Savage was more easily fed, it shot well with everything I could find, averaging at the 1 inch mark. The Marlin shoots better, 5/8" , but won't shoot the HP for anything, the Savage didn't care at all what you fed it. Since I knew what the Marlin liked, I gave the Savage to my buddy for his birthday, as I felt he needed the .17 experience. Now, he can't put it down. They are good little guns.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Fire more than a box or two....

Just an general FYI. Before you pronounce judgement on a 17 cal rimfire for accuracy, you should make sure you shoot it quite a bit. Some of these rifles take a whole brick to reach optimum accuracy. Don't sell a potentially sweet shooter short, too soon! ~Andrew

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hogbuster brought his new Savage over this past Saturday. I was very impressed with the accuracy. Great wood also, which is rare for a Savage. My only complaint was the HEAVY, HEAVY trigger. Heavier than my 25M. I didn't think that was possible.

Off the bench the heavy trigger really wasn't a factor, but off hand shooting was another story. The trigger problem would be an easy fix, however.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts