Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new bullet on the drawing board girls! Tired of making do with the 308 Marlin Express. The chamber cut on these rifles is so specific, nothing else will do. This will follow my typical development cycle of test molds, hot and heavy shooting for a week or two, and then off to production with any necessary changes. I want this in my store by May 1.

Bullet Sketch

Chamber drawing from chamber cast

Leade, Step, and Throat detail. This is where detail counts!

TLC311-170-RF vs. Hornady 160-gr FTX LeveR in Ranch Dog's 308MX

02/01/11
I added a text file containing my QuickLoad projections for the bullet. Will add exterior ballastics comparisons a little later today.

All rights reserved on the above material. Any attempt to copy this design, for personal use or profit in any form, represents a copyright infringement.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Ranch dog, I am in for a mold! I am working with loads with your 311-165 right now, but nothing to write home about. I am looking forward to this design.

Gary

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I'll be more than curious myself. I shot 311041 so long I assumed that nothing could compete with it. I WAS WRONG! :)

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
We could take those for a stroll down a few tubes

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am in for a mould for the .308ME.
Shoot me an email when to send money.
In the hospital so I can't get on the board very often.
wtdew @ gmail.com

Thanks
Dew

·
Registered
723 Posts
Michael;

That is some interesting data! I was surprised how close the ballistics are to the factory FX round. This will certainly fill all of my requirements! I limit myself to 250 yds for deer and about 300 for hogs and this bullet looks like it is dern near perfect for me! I wonder how well it will work in my M 70 in .308 Win?

Gary

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gee Wizz01 said:
Michael;

That is some interesting data! I was surprised how close the ballistics are to the factory FX round. This will certainly fill all of my requirements! I limit myself to 250 yds for deer and about 300 for hogs and this bullet looks like it is dern near perfect for me! I wonder how well it will work in my M 70 in .308 Win?

Gary
Gary, the 308 ME has a very unique chamber cut. The neck is shorter and the the throat longer than the 308 Win. I doubt the bullet would work in the 308 Win as it would need to be seated deeper, because of the the shorter throat of the 308 Win and it would probably be seated deeper than the aft edge of the case neck. The bullet would also have to be crimped on the ogive. It might be a canidate for use in the 300 Savage but I have not been able to at that yet.

I do not know if you guys have noticed yet or not but the chamber neck requires a .311" bullet body. This is huge for a "308". It requires this diameter plus the very thick Hornady brass to fill this neck. The diameter of the chamber neck is .336". The chamber also has quite a length of freebore at .308". This must be filled as well or combustion gases work forward.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
I'm interested in any and all goodies for my 308XLR.

Let me know when to call the order in.

TO NY

·
Super Moderator
12,197 Posts
Michael, I was going to order but did not see it on your website. When do you expect to add this mold to your inventory? I'd also like to order the TLC460-350-RF, any idea when it will be back in stock?

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The TLC311-170-RF is still being considered but my work with it is at a halt. Other bullet projects have taken a priority over it. It doesn't have a product page on my website and it won't until I have ordered the design from Lee. I had hoped to have this bullet design available by now but the design is simply on hold until I have time to work on it. I've made new chamber impressions and I'm waiting on those to be imaged. I have the sample mold and I've installed the strain gages on the three rifles that I will be working with. All I can offer is that it is running seriously behind and if I where to put a time on it, I would simply say not this year.

The TLC460-350-RF is expected to be in stock on June 15. When an item is out of stock, you can find the arrival date at the bottom of the product page. Lee has been very consistent in the time between an order and it's delivery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts