Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I’ve considered a dual motor, fore and aft, set up, but for now it’s not a priority. Right now I’m focused on getting the trailer road worthy and getting the boat on the water again. Once I can determine how much the boat will actually get used, then we’ll figure out how much to invest in upgrades.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Light 12 footer like that is pretty easy to push. I imagine the lakes you are talking about are not all that big.

DEP

·
Registered
645 Posts
Elcow and Torqeedo are two companies that make actual outboards that are electric. They are rated in horsepower and require up to four 12V batteries.
With a small boat, the batteries could be laid out and secured, so that the boat floats and planes evenly.
Andrew
By the time you put 4 batteries into a 12' boat you will have consumed a good chunk of the BIA rated weight capacity

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yeah, I had no idea that the larger motors had that much need as far as batteries. Doesn't take long with a 12 footer to get into diminishing returns.

·
Registered
19,497 Posts
Lookin' forward to the progress of your endeavor! Even if it's not my project, I still like seein' what others do/come up with and the final outcome! AND makin' it a family project, makes it even better, because the kids get to see what a little hard work/elbow grease can get them! Bet they won't be complainin' when they're out on the lake catchin' some fish! :tee:

Reactions: two80rem

·
Premium Member
4,221 Posts
Yeah, I had no idea that the larger motors had that much need as far as batteries. Doesn't take long with a 12 footer to get into diminishing returns.
A 12 foot aluminum boat will get pushed around easily, by a 55# thrust trolling motor and it only requires one deep draw marine battery.
My little Lund has a 30# thrust on the back end. It does okay, unless I am heading into the wind, but a 55# thrust would be much better.
Andrew

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
My 45# thrust motor trolls well with my 16ft Lund deep V. Wind does give it a bit of a problem. My 14' does well with a 45# thrust motor. You could just about water ski with a 55 on a 12 foot boat. Not saying it would be a bad choice but I think you could get by a little lighter. Bigger motor uses battery faster and is more weight.

I suspect the electric only lakes are smaller ones, maybe more natural than the ones that permit gas motors. I fish a couple of lakes that should have restrictions. However I am kind of an exception as I only fish out of my boats and don't see a need for a yacht. Real status game around this area, as to who has the shiniest boat.

DEP

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
A small update. I was able to find enough time to pressure wash the boat and trailer and to take a closer look at the parts we intend to repair/replace.

20200703_130148.jpg 20200703_130156.jpg 20200703_130232.jpg 20200703_133341.jpg 20200703_133344.jpg 20200703_133355.jpg

Aside from the spider webs and debris, the boat is in good condition. I removed the ugly carpet that was on the benches, at some point we'll replace the blue carpet on the floor.
I started pricing the parts for to get the trailer road worthy and as expected it should be somewhere around $250-$300. Fortunately we have some spare carpet and wood to redo the bunks on the trailer, which will save some money.

·
Premium Member
4,221 Posts
Solid looking boat and the trailer also looks solid. I replaced the bunks on mine with treated 2X4 wrapped in outdoor carpeting.
I am sure you can come across a good used trolling motor in the 45-55# thrust, for $100-$125. A deep draw marine battery for $120. Trailer recondition at the $250.
Total of $500 or less for a boat and trailer. That's a great deal.
Andrew

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Solid looking boat and the trailer also looks solid. I replaced the bunks on mine with treated 2X4 wrapped in outdoor carpeting.
I am sure you can come across a good used trolling motor in the 45-55# thrust, for $100-$125. A deep draw marine battery for $120. Trailer recondition at the $250.
Total of $500 or less for a boat and trailer. That's a great deal.
Andrew
Actually I found a used motor for about $50. New ones are maybe 200. Local Fleet store sells Marine deep cycle batteries for less than $100. I did the same thing for my boat trailer and used treated 2X4's. Oars are fairly expensive but also handy. Sometimes I have even resorted to rowing. A 12 foot boat of that nature is not all that hard to maneuver. What the heck. some are now buying Kayaks so they paddle around lakes, why not use my Granddad's talents for rowing?:biggrin: Not as stylish or "in" but it has been done.

DEP

21 - 33 of 33 Posts