Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a set of RCBS 45-70 dies that had a habit of seating a bullet of 405 grains or larger .350 to deep when trying to roll crimp (even with the bullet seater completely removed). RCBS told me to send them in and they would trade me a set of Cowboy Dies If I pay an extra $10. "Sure thing", says I, and five weeks later, look what came today!

photo (1).JPG

·
Super Moderator
5,374 Posts
that picture would be a nice calendar picture

Reactions: Djei5

·
Banned
651 Posts
Nice!!! I have Hornady dies and seat my 300 grain bullets nicely. Will have to load some 405 grain soon to see if I may have any issues. DJ what powder are you using?
I'm using 4198 and Trail Boss. Have fun with those!!!

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Currently I have 2 sets of RCBS 45/70 dies. One for Sharps and one set for Marlins. They're nice...but those cowboys look too nice to use! :biggrin:

·
Registered
193 Posts
and five weeks later, look what came today!
And I quoted my biggest problem w/ RCBS customer service. Their shipping times are ridiculous. I gave them CC info over two weeks ago for parts for a LAM1. Card still hasn't been charged. I sent in pictures of a broken die from another company on Sunday and received the new parts yesterday. All free of charge I might add. RCBS does get you fixed up but you are down to long for me to be completely satisfied. Not trying to hijack the thread I'm just ticked off at RCBS lately.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice!!! I have Hornady dies and seat my 300 grain bullets nicely. Will have to load some 405 grain soon to see if I may have any issues. DJ what powder are you using?
I'm using 4198 and Trail Boss. Have fun with those!!!
I also use Hornady dies for Hornady brass (New Dimension) which is a tenth of an inch shorter than other brass. No problems. Trying to find a load with 4198 that I'm happy with, no luck yet. Reloader 7 has really been a joy so far!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's outrageous! They should have fixed the dies you paid good money for instead of selling you different dies.
True, but I was actually looking for Cowboy dies when I bought the green box set! Very satisfied, other than waiting what seemed more like a decade!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And I quoted my biggest problem w/ RCBS customer service. Their shipping times are ridiculous. I gave them CC info over two weeks ago for parts for a LAM1. Card still hasn't been charged. I sent in pictures of a broken die from another company on Sunday and received the new parts yesterday. All free of charge I might add. RCBS does get you fixed up but you are down to long for me to be completely satisfied. Not trying to hijack the thread I'm just ticked off at RCBS lately.
I concur wholeheartedly! Four phone calls just to let them know I was watching them. The last call, the tech I spoke to says, "Hang on a minute" Couple minutes later he says "We just put a set together, mailing tomorrow" less than a week it's here. What the .......?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Currently I have 2 sets of RCBS 45/70 dies. One for Sharps and one set for Marlins. They're nice...but those cowboys look too nice to use! :biggrin:
I used a buddies Lees till I got my Hornadys, I think I may have touched these inappropriately three or four times now! Nonetheless, into the Rockchucker Supreme they go!

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
I got the set when I picked up the 1895 Cowboy, because they're designed more for the oversized (.460) cast bullets I'm using. They're working great for me and they're the only ones I don't us a factory crimp die with.

·
Registered
910 Posts
i kinda admire a rusty set (cleaned up quite nicely) that i bought at a flea market for 1 dollar

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Gotta love the Cowboy dies!! I use the standard Lee dies that I got before I found out about the cowboy dies :ahhhhh:

Doc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts