Marlin Firearms Forum banner

The over the hill gang

37K views 698 replies 46 participants last post by  no primers 
#1 ·
This can be a place for guys trying to stay fit.
Post , pictures/ ideas of your adventures walks, bike rides
Things you do for fun , row your boat , paddle your kayak.
Just going for a walk with your camera getting pictures of
Wildlife or flowers.
I have been walking for years 2/3/4 miles a day with my best friend maddy. She left me on April 11, at 01:30 AM.
But i keep walking.
And just a few day's ago i dragged out two of my bikes, i haven't road in thirty years.
And they need work, new tires, brake pads etc.
And on this morning's walk, i have set a goal for my self
To ride into camp santanoni , again this fall and get some
Great pictures to post.
Iam 70 years old. But iam not throwing in the towel yet.
This was yesterday picture of my AT bike after i got it out of the shed

Attachments

See less See more
#344 ·
M700,I'm wore out just reading that post! NP try that ginger with every meal,it will help. Start slow,ginger was tough on my stomach to begin with. Cool thing is after while you don't need to where cologne,you smell like old spice!

#346 ·
Third of a teaspoon,ease into it,ginger can be tough on your stomach. Key is water, I power lifted for years,tried a lot of things,water and ginger was the key. Be patient,takes a little bit of time. My oldest has me doing a juice glass full of apple cider vinegar,ginger,lemon juice and honey. Do this every night,sleep like a baby.

#356 ·
Spring has sprung, walked this morning and the snow is almost gone, the grass is turning green, the berries are popping out on the brush, have to put my tomato plants back outside.

Attachments

#357 ·
Guided a twilight snowshoe tour for a group last night.

A little girl with us got a terrible nosebleed! Blood suddenly just running out of her nose! So, got that sorta plugged up and got her down to the First Aid station where Paramedics and a nurse could look out for her. Dang. She's going to be okay. Had me worried for a bit. Too little to lose much blood. :(

So, hiked down to the first aid station with her family, then turned around and hiked back up to the group with a 20-something endurance athlete. I had to tell that young lady a couple of times "I'm stopping to breathe!" She laughed with me. Well, I laughed when I wasn't gasping for breath. Good Grief, she can hike! I probably got about 3-4 miles of snowshoeing in last night, didn't have the "Strava" app turned on with my phone.

Things happen when hiking. Glad we were prepared. Little girl has a great family her mom & dad and brothers were super.

Guy

#359 ·
This morning I finally took a hike I've wanted to do for years, but for some reason never had. The pavement ends about 20 miles southeast of town. The dirt road was washed out a few years ago and it's a hiking-only proposition now. I've hunted out in that area quite a bit, but never took the old road all the way down to the Columbia River, to the site of a resort, built in 1917, and leveled in 1963. This morning, dog and I took that hike! It was 4.75 miles round trip, only about 500 - 600' elevation gain. The route is an old road, not maintained at all and washed out badly in some places. A couple of spots, dog and I were walking on a rocky path, only a foot wide, with quite a cliff below.

We walked through some amazing basalt rock formations and got down to the site of the old resort. Nothing much left anymore, except a couple of foundations and a few artifacts. We did flush a covey of quail. The dog was perturbed that I had a coyote rifle with me instead of my shotgun. Sigh.

These photos are just from my cell phone. I'll go back and take better photos with my real camera someday.

It was a good walk. Sorry I didn't take more photos. I was doing a lot of looking around. Kinda cool to find a place so close to home, where I haven't been.

Regards, Guy[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

#361 ·
Great pics M700! When I went to NMU in Marquette we hunted all the time(wouldn't let class interfere with a good day of hunting) we would come across old homesteads. We would wonder what happened to the people that just packed up and left.

#364 ·
Got a call from a buddy that the elk were hanging out on his property outside of town, he invited me up to try to photograph them.

Bull elk about 12 miles from my home. I saw the group of bulls at first light this morning. Took the photos in rather low light, slow shutter speeds, so getting a clear photo was difficult. If they were moving at all, or if I moved a tiny bit, everything got blurry. I got a few decent photos though and will try again later. Found where this small group of bull elk hang out January, February and into March:

Guy

#365 ·
Hit the weights this morning for 30 min or so. Then it was such a beautiful sunny 30 degree day! The dog and I enjoyed a nice, relaxed 3 mile walk along the river. Finished in just under an hour, walking in a couple of inches of fresh snow. So nice! Saw a lot of waterfowl & such. Saw the eagle, but didn't get a great photo of it, thought I'd share anyway:

Maverick got a nice compliment from a lady walking the other direction on the trail "What a well behaved dog." Wow - three months ago nobody would have said that. He's worked hard and has come a long way. He's still a wild child, but getting better and better. Really glad we took him into our lives.

Gearing up now to guide a "twilight snowshoe tour" at the ski resort this evening. :)

Guy

#369 ·
Ya, I very deliberately moved here 25 years ago. Town is surrounded by public land on three sides, and has the mighty Columbia River on the fourth. Town is at the confluence of two rivers, the large Columbia River and a tributary, the Wenatchee River. Elevation is only about 700', but nearby mountains go up to 6,000' and more. My county is roughly 85% public land. The private land is still largely agricultural, mostly orchards. That is changing as the land is developed more and more into housing. I'm sad to see that, but business is business.

When there is a big enough return of wild fish, we have salmon and steelhead fishing on both rivers. Lately the returns haven't been strong enough to hold a season. There are several lakes in the area though that provide good fishing for various species.

Hunting is fair, can't say it's great, but not bad. Mule deer, elk, and black bear are all just "over the counter" tags. Bighorn sheep, mountain goat, and moose are special draw "once in a lifetime" tags with steep odds against ever drawing. There are also cougar, bobcat, coyote and wolves in the area. Worth being armed when out and about.

A couple of gun clubs are located here, I've been a member of one for over 20 years. Trap shooting, handgun ranges, rifle ranges to 600 yards, an indoor air-rifle range, and an outdoor archery range are all available.

Hiking and bicycling here is amazing - year 'round. Although I've given up bicycling in winter's cold & snow. Skiing is good too.

Yes, I feel blessed to live in this corner of the world, and to have retired in good enough health to still enjoy it.

Guy

#370 ·
Interesting evening. Went up to Mission Ridge to guide a snowshoe hike. But there were no hikers. Learned that a friend needed a little help on the road to Beehive Reservoir. Strapped on my snowshoes and headed up. Another friend came to the rescue with his snowmobile. But, I hiked up anyway after there was no need. I just enjoyed the solitude. The task at hand. The climbing in the darkness. The silence of the Cascades in winter. It was good. When I'd gone far enough, when I'd worked hard enough. I turned back down the hill and headed back to the Jeep. It was just a couple of miles, but pretty doggone nice, hiking solo in the dark on my snowshoes. A thought about our wolves & mountain lions did cross my mind, but I sure enjoyed the walk.

#374 ·
It's been a week, thougth I'd check back in. Took this photo from up above town. The river and town were shrouded in fog:

And the dog and I have been out walking, almost every day. Took these photos of him playing on an exposed sandbar, on the Columbia. He may have chased a duck or two, and got in a couple of swims as well. Water is awfully cold this time of year, he can swim without me in the water!

And saw a loon on the Columbia yesterday:

Hope you guys are all well, and being active & healthy!

Guy

[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.