Marlin Firearms Forum banner

641 - 660 of 674 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,477 Posts
What were the trout jumping at or does "match the hatch" mean that much?

DEP
Oh, I don't know. Wasn't paying a lot of attention. Some kind of emerger. The swallows were swooping low over the water too, scooping up something.

I'd probably start by tossing a crippled callibaetis, twitching it gently while riding in the top film of the water. Have found that to be an excellent fly when "bugs" of some sort are rising to the surface and flying away.

Guy

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
We get the mayfly hatch which actually can mess up fishing. The hatch is pretty intense and some claim they have made roads next to larger lakes slick. Windshields get messed up pretty quick. Mostly the fish can gorge themselves and don't eat much of anything. Also many of the larvae don't make it to the top. I am not talking about trout but all the normal lake fish. I have wondered about the match the hatch thing as most fish seem to be pretty opportunistic. I have certain lures that seem to work pretty regularly. Our trout streams are very narrow and difficult to fly fish. I have tried to catch a few but they are not impressive and the size of most could be used for Northern or bass bait.

Got curious and looked up calebaetis and found out they are mayflies. Learned something new today.

DEP

·
Premium Member
11,477 Posts
Ya - I don't try real hard to "match the hatch" - but I do pay attention to the conditions, to what the fish are doing.

I swear - at one point or another - I've caught everything on a black wooly booger... So simple to tie, and effective on bass, perch, trout, salmon, steelhead, carp... Convenient, 'cause it's super-easy to tie. Even I can tie that fly!

Guy

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Ya - I don't try real hard to "match the hatch" - but I do pay attention to the conditions, to what the fish are doing.

I swear - at one point or another - I've caught everything on a black wooly booger... So simple to tie, and effective on bass, perch, trout, salmon, steelhead, carp... Convenient, 'cause it's super-easy to tie. Even I can tie that fly!

Guy
Bought a few and am going to try them. I sometimes fly fish for Bass and bluegills. Make my own cork poppers and scrounge materials for fly tying.

DEP

·
Premium Member
11,477 Posts
Today Mav and I cut the hike a little short, only 5.25 miles and a 735' gain. We stepped off about 0630, and by 0700 it was obvious that Maverick was not enjoying the warm weather. We stopped in the shade of a tree, and I poured him a bowl full of water. He perked up and we stepped off again, gaining altitude. Quickly we made it into a 1/2 mile long area, shaded by a towering ridge, and that helped. Then... we broke back out into the sunshine as the route got steeper. I was doing pretty well, but the normally energetic dog wasn't nearly as rambunctious as normal. Eventually he flopped down on his belly in the shade of a sagebrush, panting. I got him some water. We talked it over and I cut the hike short.

We turned around and were soon back in that 1/2 mile shady stretch. Mav brightened up almost instantly, cooler and downhill. About a mile before getting home we neared an irrigation ditch, and he took a little swim in it too. Back indoors, he cooled off quickly of course.

I'm going to either have to start stepping off about 0500 - 0530 to walk Maverick while it's still cool enough for him, or start taking two hikes a day, one with the dog, and one without.

Today's only photo is of a little bunny that was trying to stay very still so Mav wouldn't notice. Mav was far more interested in a bowl of cool water at that point though.

P6250006.JPG

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Went fishing this morning, got up at 0400 and figured I would not get back to sleep. Tried a new lake today that some claim has small mouth in it. May have but I don't care for the lake. Weed beds are found in about 2 ft of water and then a ways out they drop off pretty deep. Did catch a nice walleye for frying. Beautiful landing except that some have to power load their trailers and they created an uneven hole that makes it tricky for guys like me that load the way you are supposed to, to avoid those holes. Will get paid by the logger fairly soon and will go in to get a riding lawnmower. I could use the exercise walking behind my SP push mower but the rider takes so much less time.

DEP

·
Premium Member
11,477 Posts
7 or 8 miles and a 1,600+ ft gain this morning, hiking with the dog. We got up early, started hiking at 0500 to beat the heat. It worked! Also saw more bunnies at the earlier hour - AND - we had a coyote at less than 20 yards! I'm glad that I had Maverick on-leash.

Not a good area to be shooting, so the coyote lived.

P6260028.JPG

Guy

·
Premium Member
11,477 Posts
BTW - it pains me that both the wheelbarrow and the splitting maul are imported. I think the wheelbarrow was made in Mexico - which isn't too bad. It was easy to assemble and works great, replacing my old wheelbarrow that finally just fell apart.

The splitting maul is made in China. :(

I picked it up a couple of decades ago when I needed a maul to feed the fireplace split wood. Couldn't find a US made splitting maul - and that was before internet shopping was a thing. There are good ones made here, I just couldn't find them when I bought this. It works fine. I'd like a US made maul, but... already have this one. It'll likely out-last me.

Guy

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Maverick, helping me split wood this morning. Who needs a gym?

I have sort of been implying that. Don't know your experience on splitting but I finally got it through my Son in Laws head that while working off your frustrations by splitting wood is OK there is a science to it and I showed him how to look at the grain and positioning before swinging. For instance I see the maul stuck in the wood with the split along a knot. Might work in the pine you are hitting but I go the other way.

IMG_0093.jpg I think this splitting maul was made in the States. Note the pile of oak by it. Most gets hauled away. For your use that splitting maul is a bit spendy but for me it beats the holy dickens out of the one you use. I have used one like yours for maybe 50 years so I have some knowledge of them. Some of the oak in that pile is white oak which is stringy and doe not split easy. Elm is a real treat.

I am being a bit of a smart a&& I know, but I also feel kind of stupid bout waiting so long to get that splitter. My wheel barrows include a Japanese made Kubota with an American made carry all mount and an American made trailer pulled by a Japanese made 4 wheeler. Biggest thing on your splitting maul, they sell kind of protector that fits on the handle near the head. You cannot wear out the head but the handles take a beating from hitting the wood while splitting. The handle gets pretty beat up over time. Dumb thing is that the replacement handles cost enough so that I just buy another splitting maul.

DEP

·
Premium Member
11,477 Posts
Ya, I was just leaving the maul in that piece, while I took a coffee break. :) I figured somebody would give me heck for not positioning the chunk of wood properly! :)

I think all the wood in this year's cord is Douglas Fir - really straight grained and pretty easy to split though this stuff is still pretty fresh.

Oh, I don't split a lot of wood, maybe a cord every year or so, just for firewood here at the house, and I take some on my camping trips if I'm not sure I'll find any. Sometimes firewood is scarce in the desert or wherever. But I've been splitting wood a long time. That danged made-in-China maul has been in my life at least 20 years.

Guy

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Most splitting mauls are fairly durable. Takes talent to damage the heads much. My father used to have a saying about some people that they could break and anvil with a rubber hammer, but most of us manage to keep our tools around. Generally pines split pretty easy unless very knotty. The only thing I find about the exercise of splitting wood is that it is kind of jarring. Similar to running on cement with bad shoes.

DEP

·
Premium Member
11,477 Posts
I only walked a couple of miles this morning, working Maverick off-leash in a favored hunting area not far from home. He probably ran five or six miles. Crazy beast! :) He's doing better and better at settling down and actually hunting. I think scent was good for him this morning, there was a decent rain last night, so things weren't too dry.

We found chukar, this is a mama and one of her brood:

Then Mav and I hopped into the Jeep, found the bighorn ewes and said hello to the girls club:

It was a good morning!

Guy

·
Premium Member
11,477 Posts
And today's on-leash hike was 5.3 miles, with a gain of a bit under 900' elevation. We hiked up "Twin Peaks" just west of town. I hadn't hiked up there in several years, maybe 10 years? The mountain bike club has built some rather nice trails which Mav and I used for our hike up, and part of the hike down. Beautiful hike with forest, meadows, a steep canyon on one side, and a glorious view of the Stuart Range on the other:

P6300005.JPG P6300017.JPG

Nice hike! I think I'll take the mountain bike up there and try those new-to-me trails.

Guy

·
Premium Member
11,477 Posts
Ya, Wednesday is typically yard-work day for me. Spring and early summer, I end up devoting most of a day to it, just to keep up. So, probably no walk today. Except pushing the mower around and such. Maverick likes our stay-at-home days too.

Guy

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #658
Guy, what hiking shoes/ boots do you wear?
Your torain, is a lot more server than mine., just wondering
I need a new pair, of something waterproof, and my bad wheel needs support/ fused ankle

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I have bad feet, DR says they were inherited. About the only boots worth while to me are Danners, and don't scrimp on them.

My morning exercise was pulling the rope on my 5 horse motor. Been a while since I took that boat out and the motor ahs its own formula for starting. Did a lot of pulling. Could have left it in gear and made it part way across the lake just trying to start it. May have figured out its temperament.

DEP

·
Premium Member
11,477 Posts
Early this morning, dog and I did another 7 mile hike, with 1,200+ ft of elevation gain. It was easier today! I think I'm starting to make some worthwhile strength/endurance gains.

Saw that some of the local ranchers cows were out. I know him and contacted him. :)

Coyotes were howling at 0700.

No Primers - my feet aren't real picky. Today I hiked in a pair of Caterpillar brand boots that my son bought. He didn't like them so he gave them to me. I've been wearing them on most of my hikes this spring. They're a fairly light, lower cut steel toed work boot with a great sole. Probably weren't intended for so much hiking, but they're working well, and the price was right. Free.

My favorites are a pair of Danner Pronghorns, 8" high, that I usually reserve for hunting so that I don't wear them out too quickly. But I hike with them now and then. Very comfortable. Reasonably lightweight and great ankle support. I'm not sure that they can be re-soled. I wore them on the Brooks Range grizzly hunt in 2017. Much lighter-duty boot than recommended for Alaska, but I really like them.

I do have a heavier pair of Zamberlans for tougher conditions, like most of my snowshoe hiking & guiding. They're also good for hunting really tough terrain with nasty sidehills. Danged things are expensive though, so I don't use them for casual stuff, I reserve them for when I need a really good pair of boots.

Regards, Guy

641 - 660 of 674 Posts